English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 30 July 2016, 18:06   #41
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
<snip>

... Limbo of the Lost - Demo.rar --> Hard Drive files.

<snip>
Today I've been playing around with this

It's a bit messy I must say...

First; after copying the "LIMBO" directory from the above archive to your hard drive there are no icons inside. You need to select "Window" --> "Show" --> "All Files", numerous files appear and then you can double-click on the file "LIMBO" to start the playable demo.

Played for around a minute or so but then the game goes back to the start screen; guess it has a time limit set?!?

I then checked the HOL entry for this (http://hol.abime.net/4305/screenshot) and noticed that there are loads of screenshots that I hadn't seen and also mention of a VHS video intro. Investigated and eventually found that if I execute the file "LIMBO/Intro/S/S" you will then see this

Things is, it just repeats after running through so I had to press <Crtl> + <C> to exit and then the playable demo starts afterwards. Next problem is that the sound from the VHS video intro is still running... Found out that if I needed to press <Esc>, as this kills the sound from the intro.

Anyway; as all this is a bit of a nightmare I decided to try and make a friendly "HD install" --> "ADFs" package that makes things simple / easy for people. It does the following:

... Boots automatically obviously (and supports 1 or 2 disk drives).
... After decompressing / loading, shows a screen that informs you of having to press <Esc>, then <Ctrl> + <C> to stop the sound and kill the VHS video intro:

... Waits 10 seconds (so you can actually read the above text).
... Finally loads the playable demo.

Use an "AGA configuration with "2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM" in WinUAE for this (or have those specs in your real Amiga)...

I've very happy with how this turned out; must say that it took me quite a while to figure out / build everything though

Anyway, file now in The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS"

Last edited by DamienD; 30 July 2016 at 20:48.
Old 30 July 2016, 21:08   #42
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
TEX08 in the zone!
Nice one Mai! Great job

I know they're of limited interest to most people but perhaps one day we will track down all the MIA Simulmondo games.
Old 31 July 2016, 13:26   #43
Amiganiac73

Thanks DamienD for Starting this great Thread

Seen how many unfinished games that almost got forgotten, now
they Surface, with good playable samples.

I appreciate the efforts of you and the friends involved.
Old 31 July 2016, 16:22   #44
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
<snip>

Commodore Amiga - Compilations - Games (TOSEC-v2014-10-30_CM):
... Crime Inc & SmashTV - The Rip Off (1993-10)(Gallagher, Mark)[v Saddam 1].zip

<snip>
As I hate having more than one game on disk (especially when there are ones I will never play); decided to play around with the above...

Originally it looked:

Created a new .ADF with only "Crime Inc" files on, which looks like this:

In The Zone! for anyone else who would prefer to use this

Last edited by DamienD; 31 July 2016 at 16:28.
Old 31 July 2016, 18:30   #45
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
<snip>

Commodore Amiga - Compilations - Games (TOSEC-v2014-10-30_CM):
... Slez (1991)(Wolf Software) & Pot (demo-playable) (1991)(Lipp, Johannes)-[unreleased games].zip

<snip>
Have also split Slez & Pot into "one game" disks

Originally it looked:

"Slez" now looks like [plus added the ability to view the "instructions"]:

"Pot" now looks like [plus added the ability to view the "instructions"]:

In The Zone! for anyone else who would prefer to use these
Old 31 July 2016, 21:36   #46
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
<snip>

Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28_CM):
... DayLight Robbery (1991)(Electronic Zoo)[h Rebels][unreleased].zip
... DayLight Robbery (1991)(Electronic Zoo)[unreleased].zip
... Denjoy (1991)(-)[unreleased].zip
... Legacy (1991)(Hexodus)(Disk 1 of 2)[h IP][unreleased].zip
... Legacy (1991)(Hexodus)(Disk 2 of 2)[h IP][unreleased].zip
... Mutant League Hockey (1994)(Ocean)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr SCX][unreleased].zip
... Mutant League Hockey (1994)(Ocean)(AGA)(Disk 2 of 3)[unreleased].zip
... Mutant League Hockey (1994)(Ocean)(AGA)(Disk 3 of 3)[unreleased].zip
... Nishiran (1990)(Legend)(FR)[cr PNA].zip
... Nishiran (1990)(Legend)(FR)[cr PNA][h DC].zip
... Wacko Jr. in Wonderland (1990)(New Line)[cr RZR][a][unreleased].zip
... Wacko Jr. in Wonderland (1990)(New Line)[cr RZR][unreleased].zip
... Wacko Jr. in Wonderland (1990)(New Line)[cr RZR][u][unreleased].zip

<snip>
Phew; still adding in games to my WinUAE collection. This is going to take a while...

Anyway, with the above are they actually "demos" or the "full game"?

I take it if they were "demos" then TOSEC would have labelled them as such? Any clarification is much appreciated

Edit: regarding "Wacko Jr. in Wonderland"; this can't be the full game can it? According to HOL notes:

Quote:
Probably never released.
The only version currently known is a PREVIEW that was spread around on the scene BBSes back in the days (around 1991), where the screenshots shown here were taken from.

Last edited by DamienD; 01 August 2016 at 00:23.
Old 01 August 2016, 21:21   #47
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Has anyone tried out the Atrophy demo as yet?

...must say it's pretty cool and a real shame that this was never finished / released
Pretty cool demo, the garish graphics notwithstanding! Most of the Atrophy team fell out with the graphics artist (Frank Tout) and then joined forces with a a more seasoned scene artist (Dan Hammonds) to work from scratch on a similar shoot'em-up called Enigma (HOL entry is on the TODO list!). Unfortunately, the Enigma demo looked even better.....but the game never made it to release either!

Anyway, the frustrating saga of Atrophy / Enigma is recounted in this thread, if you don't remember.....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22946
Old 02 August 2016, 00:49   #48
DamienD
Banned

@HOL guys; where did you get the version of "Almagica - Scions of a Forgotten World" that you used to make the screenshots from?

http://hol.abime.net/4741/screenshot

The one in TOSEC "Almagica - Scions of a Forgotten World (demo-playable) (1997)(DSP)(AGA)(FW)[HD, KS3.0].adf" shows the following different screens:

Title screen:

Options screen:

...the version you guys used looks like a later version IMHO

Edit: don't worry, found it on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/game/demo/ScionsPreview2

Need to take a look to confirm
Old 02 August 2016, 14:33   #49
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Pretty cool demo, the garish graphics notwithstanding! Most of the Atrophy team fell out with the graphics artist (Frank Tout) and then joined forces with a a more seasoned scene artist (Dan Hammonds) to work from scratch on a similar shoot'em-up called Enigma (HOL entry is on the TODO list!). Unfortunately, the Enigma demo looked even better.....but the game never made it to release either!

Anyway, the frustrating saga of Atrophy / Enigma is recounted in this thread, if you don't remember.....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22946
Thank you Prof Bong; it's been many years and I think I went AWOL before some of the more recent developments occurred

Just read through everything and will probably reply in that thread later this evening; once I've had the chance to look at / play with all the new files that I've only just discovered

I can see that you've very recently updated the HOL page for "Atrophy" (http://hol.abime.net/4441) and added download links for the demo

I do however think that we need a new HOL entry for "Enigma" that has:

Finally, not in relation to "Atrophy / Enigma"... I've also noticed that you've recently put some goodies under "~Uploads/drbong/Games_Unreleased_Demos/" which will help with the 7th post of this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1102979&postcount=7

Very good idea; I was thinking of doing the same thing once I'd had the chance to gather as much information as possible i.e. having one central repository for the [unreleased] games that are discovered to make it easy for people to access

More to follow this evening my friend
Old 02 August 2016, 17:12   #50
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I am very interesting in this thread!!! Well done! Good Job, guys!
Old 02 August 2016, 20:03   #51
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I can see that you've very recently updated the HOL page for "Atrophy" (http://hol.abime.net/4441) and added download links for the demo

I do however think that we need a new HOL entry for "Enigma"
Well, Enigma was bundled in with the HOL entry for Atrophy for a few years until it came to light in that older thread that they were, in fact, "different" games as they didn't share any code. I've had material queued up since the Enigma game archives were made available for a new HOL entry, but then again I've got a vault full of material for a swag of other unreleased games (not to mention several vaults of stuff for released games!) that I haven't managed to get to yet either. Human cloning using 3D printers cannot come too soon, if you ask me!

Quote:
Finally, not in relation to "Atrophy / Enigma"... I've also noticed that you've recently put some goodies under "~Uploads/drbong/Games_Unreleased_Demos/" which will help with the 7th post of this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1102979&postcount=7
Damn, I've been busted! I haven't had the time yet to completely go through your list of unreleased games and check what else is sitting on my HD. I was hoping to get closer to the end before giving you the heads-up about my "secret" online vault. Ya such a big snoop!!!

Quote:
Very good idea; I was thinking of doing the same thing once I'd had the chance to gather as much information as possible i.e. having one central repository for the [unreleased] games that are discovered to make it easy for people to access
Well, that's where it was headed......but I wanted to do an inventory first and check different HDs/USB sticks/HOL vaults etc. to pool all the unreleased stuff prior to uploading. I have quite a few unreleased game demos/previews not in your list.

FYI there was an absolute crapload of unreleased games from the latter Ami days (about 1996 onwards), and a fair few had demos/previews that were only ever available from the developer websites (and perhaps magazine cover CDs). As a lot of them were hosted on student or freebie web servers (e.g. Geocities, Tripod), a minority have probably been lost forever as they haven't been archived by the Internet Archive or other sources. There are others still to be found, but knowing where to actually start digging is the "trick"!

Last edited by DrBong; 02 August 2016 at 20:11.
Old 02 August 2016, 20:56   #52
DamienD
Banned

Well after going through all available archives, I'm afraid I haven't really made much progress (not surprising really)

Most of the stuff is tiles / graphics when actually loading the game etc. (though I can't get that to work either; see post http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=92)...

I've grabbed a few screenshots from running the 1 disk demo (no gameplay) and also anything that shows gameplay from various archives.

A file "Enigma_Screenshots.rar" now in The Zone!
Old 02 August 2016, 22:15   #53
DamienD
Banned

I'm most probably being a muppet... especially as I've had a few drinkies this evening

With "Crimetown Depths (1988)(Emotion Software Italy).adf" ; how do I get past this screen?

Have tried the following:

... joystick button
... left / right mouse clicks
... <return> / <space> / <esc>
Old 03 August 2016, 00:00   #54
DamienD
Banned

Ok; have processed the next batch of [unreleased] "TOSEC" files (in fact all remaining):

Question regarding "Rage v2.0"... http://hol.abime.net/4341

To HOL and TOSEC guys (or anyone else for that matter). Is this a "full game" or "demo"? Screenshot shows the following (which I know may not be definitive as sometime screens are not altered between demos / full releases):

Old 03 August 2016, 00:25   #55
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
I'm most probably being a muppet... especially as I've had a few drinkies this evening

With "Crimetown Depths (1988)(Emotion Software Italy).adf" ; how do I get past this screen?

Have tried the following:

... joystick button
... left / right mouse clicks
... <return> / <space> / <esc>
The disk mentions that it's a trailer not a demo.

Could it be the end of the trailer

EDIT: The disk is corrupt. I ran it through QBTools and deleted /mus/voyage.s. Now the disk proceeds to load.

Last edited by Arnie; 03 August 2016 at 00:58.
Old 03 August 2016, 00:58   #56
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
The disk mentions that it's a trailer not a demo.

Could it be the end of the trailer?
Appreciate the reply my friend... but not according to available HOL screenshots: http://hol.abime.net/4586/screenshot there's more to see...

I pressed <enter> on the 3rd screen (as shown in the HOL entry)

How did they see more than I can?
Old 03 August 2016, 01:04   #57
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

see my edit above your post....^^^^
Old 03 August 2016, 09:25   #58
DamienD
Banned

Oh nice one, will test tonight
Old 03 August 2016, 10:36   #59
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Question regarding "Rage v2.0"... http://hol.abime.net/4341

To HOL and TOSEC guys (or anyone else for that matter). Is this a "full game" or "demo"? Screenshot shows the following (which I know may not be definitive as sometime screens are not altered between demos / full releases):
Full game according to CFOU......

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18400

http://www.whdload.de/games/RageCAD.html (contains this link for Rage and Rage 2 ADFs too)

Last edited by DrBong; 03 August 2016 at 10:44.
Old 03 August 2016, 12:27   #60
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Full game according to CFOU......

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18400

http://www.whdload.de/games/RageCAD.html (contains this link for Rage and Rage 2 ADFs too)
Perfect; thanks for the information