English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Creation > Graphics

Old 27 May 2021, 08:41   #1
Nishicorn

Creation category missing

I don't know if it's a symptom of the sickness of this world, or some kind of thoughtlessness, but there's more to creation than graphics, music or code.

In fact, those things are not really creation necessarily.

To me, true creation happens when it's not just cold, (even project-based) calculated 'building' of things (anyone can do this with just learning to use some software). Some people never understand a point beyond this kind of stuff.

What do I mean? Anyone putting pixels on screen or writing lines of code or putting notes in a tracker is creating, right? They're a creator, right? What they produce is a creation, isn't it?

I can see why some people might think like this, but if I may present a bit more esoteric viewpoint to what 'creation' actually is.

As we all know, the etheric and astral side exists first, -then- the physical manifestation takes place. If you build -just- the physical manifestation, it's a soulless monster, a non-creation, it has just been built, nothing more. This kind of things are needed, too, like infrastructure, roads, etc. But even buildings, houses and such could be created instead of just built (but rarely are).

I think ancient people had a better grasp on these things - if you look at the awe-inspiring, inspirational, uplifting, mesmerizing and thought provoking, deep feeling-evoking old architecture, like ancient temples of Asia, old architecture of the Edo Jidai (Period), the pyramids, even things like Stonehenge - or something as simple as old-style buildings in the old comic, 'Asterix'..

[img]I don't know if it's a symptom of the sickness of this world, or some kind of thoughtlessness, but there's more to creation than graphics, music or code.

To me, true creation happens when it's not just cold, (even project-based) calculated 'building' of things (anyone can do this with just learning to use some software). Some people never understand a point beyond this kind of stuff.

What do I mean? Anyone putting pixels on screen or writing lines of code or putting notes in a tracker is creating, right? They're a creator, right? What they produce is a creation, isn't it?

I can see why some people might think like this, but if I may present a bit more esoteric viewpoint to what 'creation' actually is.

As we all know, the etheric and astral side exists first, -then- the physical manifestation takes place. If you build -just- the physical manifestation, it's a soulless monster, a non-creation, it has just been built, nothing more. This kind of things are needed, too, like infrastructure, roads, etc. But even buildings, houses and such could be created instead of just built (but rarely are).

I think ancient people had a better grasp on these things - if you look at the awe-inspiring, inspirational, uplifting, mesmerizing and thought provoking, deep feeling-evoking old architecture, like ancient temples of Asia, old architecture of the Edo Jidai (Period), the pyramids, even things like Stonehenge - or something as simple as old-style buildings in the old comic, 'Asterix'..

[img]I don't know if it's a symptom of the sickness of this world, or some kind of thoughtlessness, but there's more to creation than graphics, music or code.

I don't know if it's a symptom of the sickness of this world, or some kind of thoughtlessness, but there's more to creation than graphics, music or code.

I think ancient people had a better grasp on these things - if you look at the awe-inspiring, inspirational, uplifting, mesmerizing and thought provoking, deep feeling-evoking old architecture, like ancient temples of Asia, old architecture of the Edo Jidai (Period), the pyramids, even things like Stonehenge - or something as simple as old-style buildings in the old comic, 'Asterix'.. (Uploaded as attachment)

..you can see how the style pleases the eye and is yet slightly imaginary and 'creative', if you will. This house supposedly exists in real life, by the way.

In any case, when you compare these old architectural marvels to modern 'let's make it square or rectangle'-type architecture, you can realize something important is missing - something internal, something like a guiding force to create beauty instead of ugly boxes. The box-shape is everywhere in the modern world, but it wasn't as prevalent just a short, historical time ago.

People often look at some popular or good, inspirational game, and want to make 'their own version' of it. Let's take Chrono Trigger, for example. People have played it, loved it, completed it, treasured it. But yet, when they start making 'their version', they suddenly discard the deep core of it;

ATMOSPHERE.

They listen to the songs, but then create things that can't even be compared to how deep, thick and inspirational the Chrono Trigger musics' atmosphere is.

They aim to create 'similar-looking graphics' but they do not aim to create similar atmosphere within those graphics. So they go by look alone. It's like creating a gourmét meal that looks as much as possible like something a master chef created, using only photos of the food and nothing else, and then everything ends up tasting like cardboard.

People discard atmosphere so quickly, and think they can re-create something like Chrono Trigger based only on cold visual assesment and equally cold sound/music observation (if 'listening' can be called 'observing').

There's something important missing, and I don't understand why people rather try to make something -look- and -sound- similar, but do not aim to create the same kind of feel or atmosphere.

I'd rather play a game that looks different, but has as inspiring, exciting and deep atmosphere in the musics, sounds, graphics, story, gameplay and the 'world building'.

Why do people think Chrono Trigger is one of the rare games, where you feel actually bad, if you have to switch a character for another - for leaving that poor character out of your group..?

It's the immersion created by atmosphere, feel... soul of the game. You can't manufacture this with mathematics or notebooks, you can't copypaste it and call it a day. You have to create it - and this is what I think creation means - by loving your project instead of trying to just get ego-praise by copying an already established, successful project - by being excited about and immersed in your project, feeling deeply about putting those pixels together, creating the music while feeling something - and in the end, enjoying the creative process so that you lose your ego and self, and are able to just receive melody and music from the Cosmos (or 'somewhere in Existence, if you prefer) and basically channel it into your work.

You can create ear-pleasing melody by mathematics, probably.

But you can't create immersive, atmospheric energy and feel to your song, music and melody by just doing calculated noteputting without any feeling.

I wish people would aim for atmosphere first, and then let graphics and music become what may.

I'd rather play a game that looks and sounds different to Chrono Trigger, but has its own, interesting, exciting, inspiring or even touching thick atmosphere, than something that looks almost identical in style, and utilizes same kind of song structures and melodic steps, but that doesn't feel good to play at all.

There's 'visual copy', and there's 'living soul', and the comparison is like a pool filled with plastic objects made to resemble water molecules (hydrogen and oxygen atoms bound together), and a pool filled with actual water.

Of course in the modern, left brain-dominated world, it's increasingly difficult to find a foothold for the things that really matter, like atmosphere, feel, inspiration and such. But it's not a creation without those things, either.

Don't just build graphics or music or even code - CREATE them.. unleash your finest self and be excited, interested and deeply love your project, let the feeling flow through you. Create during wee hours, when there's most fluidum. Ask the Cosmos to inspire and guide you. Meditate and stop thinking, achieving and trying - just let it happen, let it come to you.

You can't command the wind, but you can invite it by leaving your window open. Same is true with inspiration - it's not guaranteed, but if you invite it, and are sincered about your project.. it might touch you.

I can't create melodies... I just let them happen and come to me after putting in a 'failed melody' so many times.. usually, when I just keep trying, suddenly a 'perfect melody' will appear into my mind, and then the song can sound better than it ever could have otherwise.

I know this may seem very far-fetched, almost blasphemous in the modern, ateistic, nihilistic world. But I am talking from experience. You can't create Chrono Trigger by just letting everything be cold, feelingless, mathematical and precise, no matter how well you plan and build it. Building will never be creation, if there's no inspiration or feel to it.

This is why we need atmosphere. Thankfully so many games, demos and even movies exist that have plenty of atmosphere and inspiration so we at least have examples of the 'unseen' being manifested into 'seen'.

Hm.. I wonder if anyone understood what I was trying to convey.. oh, well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old-Style_House02.gif
Views:	141
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	72089