English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 April 2013, 20:34   #2001
demolition
Unregistered User

Did you check the flat cable connection in the DVI connector end (underneath the floppy drive)? When it is only mounted with one screw, it tends to slowly wiggle off when a DVI plug is inserted and removed several times.
Old 08 April 2013, 20:57   #2002
bbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Yes - any "warming up" issue is most likely a "leaked capacitor" issue. Just replace all electrolytic caps with ceramic caps - they last forever, and they're very affordable these days, even in high capacities.

Power supply: Many people believe that the power supply is "good" because it's new or has a high rating. However, the newer the PSU is, the more likely it is that it's a "cost-reduced-to-the-max" model with the cheapest Chinese components. The only way to find out if "good" power comes from it is to measure the ripple content of the +5V rail. This can only be done with an oscilloscope.

Jens
Jens. Thanks, I'll look in getting it re-capped, surface mount is a little bit over my skill level.

I believe that a-power is good not because it's new but because it was sold to me by http://a4000t.com who is knowledgeable about Amiga stuff. I have also had the same issue using the "bigfoot" PS. That one is an AT style PS sold by softhut number of years ago. I have good meter so I can test both with that, but even if I had an oscilloscope, I'm afraid I'd not know how to use it.

Thanks...

Last edited by bbond007; 08 April 2013 at 21:08.
Old 08 April 2013, 23:34   #2003
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

i can get great

hi res laced/lo res laced full screen perfect

but only half screen hi res/lo res non laced

using 1280x1024 screen mode on a dell 1280x1024 vga monitor

any ideas

cheers john
Old 09 April 2013, 00:14   #2004
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
i can get great
hi res laced/lo res laced full screen perfect
but only half screen hi res/lo res non laced
using 1280x1024 screen mode on a dell 1280x1024 vga monitor
If you mean PAL non-interlaced, then that's 256 lines and with scanlines it can be stretched to 512 lines, which is why it can't be more than half screen. You need to choose a lower output resolution if you want it to be full screen.
Old 09 April 2013, 00:29   #2005
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

thanks demolition I will try again tomorrow with a lower output
Old 10 April 2013, 12:49   #2006
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Hi guys,

as I wrote a few months ago (for example here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1642 ), the offer for returning Indivision AGA MK2 for a refund has ended with the config tool being published, which happened 10 days ago.

At this point, I'd like to know if there are still monitors that don't show a picture at all. If so, please get in touch with me. I do not have a single open support ticket for Indivision AGA MK2 with a customer, and I have one pending support ticket with AmigaKit where it's pretty clear that the customer has not updated his unit with the latest CFG tool and cores.

The feedback here has put the "colour shift on sharp edges" on my todo list. Further, we're investigating the possibility of adding a "test" button to the tool which you can press before "apply".

Jens
Old 10 April 2013, 13:22   #2007
nikos.rizos

I am sorry to say this Jens but have you seen the previous posts?

The config tool may be out but to some it is still not the solution to their problems..

So why this rush to wrap it up and go on from the point that this config tools doesn't seem like a final release but more like a beta?
Old 10 April 2013, 13:23   #2008
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Hummm... Have you seen the posts by:
- keropi: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1937
- zharn: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1976

What is the deal with this matter that doesn't scale the native display to whole screen?
Old 10 April 2013, 13:41   #2009
keropi

why open a "support ticket" ? am I getting ignored because I posted pics here?
Unless this is what the MK2 can offer then the issues are more than obvious:

Old 10 April 2013, 13:43   #2010
tolkien
AmigaMan

Does it means that indi mk2 will be sold again?
Old 10 April 2013, 14:26   #2011
kipper2k

Quote:
The feedback here has put the "colour shift on sharp edges" on my todo list. Further, we're investigating the possibility of adding a "test" button to the tool which you can press before "apply".

Jens
The test button feature would be most welcome and save a lot of hassles and frustration with multiple monitor outputs
Old 10 April 2013, 16:44   #2012
Mr B

Quote:
I am unable to test & verify if my kit works for the time being, simply coz i have no alternative way of getting a image. If i screw up and get nothing, then i'm locked out. I'm not sure, but i guess there are others like me. A "test" button is critical, even if it has to flash the Indivision, and then reflash with the "current" settings.
Old 10 April 2013, 17:05   #2013
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post

In "ScreenMode Preferences" you need to change from PAL High Res Laced to HIGHGFX super high res laced then in Indi config tool set HIGHGFX interlace 1024 x 768 (don't forget to save your settings). If you want higher resolution then change in "Screen Mode Preferences" to XTREME 1280x1024 and in indi config tool choose XTREME 1280 x 1024

Your problem is: You are setting workbench display in "ScreenMode Preferences" to PAL resolution (instead of HIGHGFX or XTREME) which can display max 664 x 534 and in indi your setting it to display 1280x1024 so of course it will shrink your display to a little window.

Try changing output to VGA & DVI
In indi config tool you need to choose TWO display modes. First choose PAL for games and APPLY then for workbench XTREME 1280x1024 and APPLY
and save your changes

This is how I set mine
http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/Ar...308b3.jpg.html
Old 10 April 2013, 17:15   #2014
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
In "ScreenMode Preferences" you need to change from PAL High Res Laced to HIGHGFX super high res laced then in Indi config tool set HIGHGFX interlace 1024 x 768 (don't forget to save your settings). If you want higher resolution then change in "Screen Mode Preferences" to XTREME 1280x1024 and in indi config tool choose XTREME 1280 x 1024

Your problem is: You are setting workbench display in "ScreenMode Preferences" to PAL resolution (instead of HIGHGFX or XTREME) which can display max 664 x 534 and in indi your setting it to display 1280x1024 so of course it will shrink your display to a little window.

Try changing output to VGA & DVI
In indi config tool you need to choose TWO display modes. First choose PAL for games and APPLY then for workbench XTREME 1280x1024 and APPLY
and save your changes

This is how I set mine
http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/Ar...308b3.jpg.html
I also think your problem is the HDMI DVI adapter. I have connected mine DVI to DVI
Old 10 April 2013, 17:21   #2015
keropi

@art:

I don't really care about HighGFX or Xtreme.
What I care is PAL resolutions showing up on my monitor, with full screen and correctly. That's how I enjoy my gaming.

All other scandoublers, from dce ones , picassoIV and even indivision mk1 were behaving OK in that aspect. MK2 on the other hand does not. It does not matter what resolution you set, for example 800x600 shows nothing at all
Even if what you say was correct then HighGFX 1024x768 would be centered with black borders on my 1280x1024 setting. This is not the case and I get a cropped image. The original DVI adapter and kipper2k's hdmi adapter behave the same btw.

Last edited by keropi; 10 April 2013 at 17:27.
Old 10 April 2013, 17:30   #2016
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
This is a news forum. It is a public forum where I am registered as a user. It is not a support forum. I am here on an irregular basis. If you post here that you have problems with your flickerfixer, it's the same as if you're hanging a sign into your window "my car does not work!" and expect the car manufacturer to read it, and react to it.

This has been stated a number of times before in other threads, and the Indivision AGA MK2 manual even states clearly that a public forum cannot expected to be a support forum. I may not be checking forums for months, but I'm checking eMails and the support ticket system at least weekly.

So yes, if you post a problem here, it does not exist for me.

Quote:
There is no issue. Indivision AGA MK2 is doing exactly what you tell it to do: Sample 640 pixels and display 640 pixels on a 1280 wide screen. You tell it to create large borders, and it creates borders.

On the next picture, you tell it to skip pixels, and it does what you're telling it to do.

Try an 800x600 output screen for PAL-Hires and PAL-Hires interlace. If you expect Indivision AGA MK2 to create non-standard VGA modes on it's own, you're expecting the wrong thing from a unit that is expected to control each pixel of a screen digitally (that's what the DVI interface is for).

If you want a *scaled* picture, then create your own VGA output mode with the number of pixels that you want displayed. Indivision AGA MK2 will do what you tell it to do, even if the number of pixels is totally odd (for example 680x540, which might do the trick for a PAL-interlaced screen).

Quote:
It does not matter what resolution you set, for example 800x600 shows nothing at all
Now here's an example why you should file a proper bug report:

- write down the type of monitor
- write down the type of cable you use to connect to that monitor
- make a screenshot of the settings for the particular mode you're interested in

...and send that to your reseller who should be able to help by checking if you have made some simple mistake, or if your monitor needs additional tweaks. Also, as you have surely read in the readme, the sync polarities of the preset output modes are mostly wrong, so playing around with that is a good idea (will be fixed in the next release, but is ignored by the majority of monitors).

You are strongly encouraged to play around with the values and cross-check with the technical data of your monitor(s) if the presets need updates.

Jens

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 10 April 2013 at 17:37.
Old 10 April 2013, 18:51   #2017
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Jens with all do respect...

When you write about features and even include the ConfigTool through forums and not the official channels (your own website, AmigaKit, Vesalia or whatever other reseller you use), it's logical to expect troubleshooting, screenshots, outputs etc through forums as well.
For example your website and Vesalia's website have your pre-released tool and AmigaKit has no link at all.

So far your new Beta tool has only been seen on a1k.org and even your own EAB thread about it, linked the a1k.org thread when NOT all fellow Amigans have access to.
Since everyone is learning news from the forums, and since access to Indivision is blocked atm (till you release your tool officially) I find it rather logical for people to respond with their findings in the forums as well.

Checking the forums and responding whenever you have time is one thing, but if you want the same response in order for you to have feedback based on your tool... better give your website or your sellers the appropriate updates as well.
Old 10 April 2013, 19:42   #2018
keropi

@Schoenfeld

I get it, like mfilos says I have not seen anywhere news about the config tool and I began to write on this specific EAB thread after some years of leave. I haven't read any other threads.

It seems I was under the false impression that the MK2 would scale amiga modes to whatever resolution you set... so now it makes sense why I get the borders.

I managed to get a 800x600@60hz picture for PAL resolutions... it's better.
But still I don't get the option to use a 800x600@75hz mode (for partial PAL "vsync") , the config tool missed completely the clock setting to create one...

this is what my monitor supports, standard VESA modes AFAIK:

now, I cannot create the 800x600@75hz mode, the 49.500 pixel clock is missing from the list so I can't create a 75hz screen... clocks jump from ~42 to ~62 without any middle values.

Also HighGFX shows fine on a 1024x768@60hz screen. But it does blacks out when you open the hdd icons for example... like before but it does the blanking faster.

Basically I need a way to make my Samsung SyncMaster 931BF to display a 800x600@75screen for PAL games , unless there is some other mode I don't see that will try and "keep pal vsync" ... playing at 60hz is awfull as you can imagine. 100hz is out of the question for me, the monitor does not support any modes at 100hz...

About support tickets:
I got my 1st and 2nd MK1 from amigakit.
I traded the 2nd MK1 months ago for a MK2 with an amibay user: I got a new amigakit-purchased MK2. The other user did not want to wait more for the tool that was unavailable at that time.
To whom do I send my support requests? It seemed logical to write here since you posted the news.

edit:

@Art
basically I tried the same settings as you, it works with screen flashing for highgfx and 800x600/60hz for PAL screens... can you create a 75hz 800x600 screen? playing 50hz games on 60hz is awful as you've might have seen...
Old 10 April 2013, 20:30   #2019
amigakit.com

@keropi

As you are a long standing AmigaKit customer, we are happy to offer advice and support if you need it.
Old 10 April 2013, 20:47   #2020
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@keropi

As you are a long standing AmigaKit customer, we are happy to offer advice and support if you need it.
I truly appreciate it, thank you!

as it stands atm I don't know if the highgfx blanking problem only happens to me or the fact that I cannot create a custom mode for my monitor is due to me or the beta nature of the config tool..