English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 21 October 2019, 17:08   #141
Mick

Does the goldfinger 45 degree chamfering do the corners as well or just the bottom edge? it says to leave 1.2mm clearance is that just at the bottom? I already did 45 degree angles at the corners in my design.
Old 22 October 2019, 01:24   #142
Lemaru

I'm loving this! Great work, finally the A600 is getting some love. I got 3 here so at least two may get transplanted. One is especially in need of a new board.

Is this going to be open sourced? Would be great to see people make some tweaks. 2MB chip on board, clockport, maybe a 64pin dip for the CPU so we can make use of A500 expansions. So much potential.

Last edited by Lemaru; 24 September 2020 at 00:07.
Old 22 October 2019, 10:55   #143
Mick

Yeah that's the idea, the KiCad learning curve is a bit steep but once you've got the hang of it it's like riding a bike. Like I've said before if anyone wants to learn look for Kai's A500 memory converter and have a go at doing one in KiCad yourself, any time you get stuck search online for help.

I'd like to see an ATX version myself but adding things like ATX power and PS2 keyboard is beyond me, could even do an A600 motherboard to fit inside A1200 cases but that would need replacing the Keyboard MPU I think and again not sure about that. The possibilities are endless I would imagine, I've done most of the boring work.

Fingers crossed it works though.
Old 22 October 2019, 11:19   #144
SteveMoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I'd like to see an ATX version myself but adding things like ATX power and PS2 keyboard is beyond me

Adding an ATX power supply wouldn't be too difficult to do. If you don't want a soft on/off button then it's just a case of tying the PS_ON signal to ground.

I think adding a PS/2 keyboard would be more of a challange, i would assume some conversion would be needed for the PS/2 to Amiga clock/data lines for the keyboard mapping but i've not looked at how the Amiga side works.
Old 22 October 2019, 12:14   #145
Lemaru

I have designed a few things in Eagle as that was my preferred software. Can't imagine it's too difficult to go from one to another.

Didn't Stedy release the designs for his ATX adaptor, if so then it should be pretty simple to implement that
Old 22 October 2019, 21:23   #146
Mick

I got my my brutalised board today, should have done it earlier really going to try to get it to where I'm happy and then order some PCB's.

I noticed that the edge connector is hardly bevelled (if at all), so should I bevel it or not? JLCPCB says if you leave a note requesting then they won't bevel it but do i still select the goldfingers = yes (45 degrees) option? will it fit expansions okay without the bevelling?
Old 22 October 2019, 22:37   #147
Lemaru

From my experience with the gold fingers on game cart PCBs and such, always better to have a slight bevel on fingers

Last edited by Lemaru; 24 September 2020 at 00:08.
Old 22 October 2019, 22:50   #148
Mick

The only option from JCLPCB is 45 degree bevel or none at all, if I go for 45 degree I have to leave 1.2mm at the bottom which may not be optimal for other PCB manufacturers? I was hoping to release files that people could be used with a variety of different manufacturers rather than customising design to one specific PCB manufacturer.

Does anyone know what bevel Chucky uses with his ReAmiga1200?
Old 24 October 2019, 00:46   #149
Mick

Okay, so today I've been reading about the earlier Gayle revision which is the reason why older boards have the GAL chip, is it the -01 revision Gayle that is broken? is the firmware for the PAL available? and if so should I add option for the XU1?
Old 27 October 2019, 23:25   #150
Mick

Acill can you pm me your email address when you're back.

It is time.

Here is the (I hope) finished and problem free board.

https://postimg.cc/fV2dmr13
https://postimg.cc/BP0PJ9Pz

I'd love to take credit for the Amiga 500 style keyboard connector but that was Jens at icomp brilliant idea who very generously took the time to talk to me. I was going to maybe create two boards with one that supported the A1200 keyboard MPU instead but having that connector is a much better idea.

Anybody see any problems? and is anyone able to download the PAL firmware from a board that has the earlier Gayle revision for me? Thanks.
Old 28 October 2019, 19:49   #151
Mick

I've ordered 5 PCB's and it's bit nerve racking tbh. I feel like I've just bet my favourite Amiga in a game of cards. Fingers crossed.
Old 31 October 2019, 03:36   #152
ExtremeWays

Thumbs up

Mick, those boards are looking spectacular. Very cool indeed.

I can't wait to see one of them power up!
Old 02 November 2019, 18:17   #153
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

really hope they work,
would like to build one also, as my original A300 pcb was terribly destroyed by leaking capacitor acid
Old 02 November 2019, 20:09   #154
Mick

The boards should arrive middle of next week, they've been manufactured with no complaints so it's so far good unless I receive the PCB equivalent of Frankenstein's monster.

Remember, this all started as me playing around in KiCad to see how far I could get before throwing the towel in, I never really imagined I would get this far. Even at the time of starting this thread I was just excited about the fact I'd managed to cobble together the schematics.

If all goes well though I will try to finish the sister A1200 board too, which tbh is the one I'm more interested in myself but I don't think I could have done it without first using the A600 as a stepping stone.

It'd still be handy to get hold of the PAL DIP chip if anyone has one, or if anyone can capture the firmware as a file.
Old 03 November 2019, 09:52   #155
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMoody View Post
I think adding a PS/2 keyboard would be more of a challange.

Why use a PS/2 Keyboard why not just go for USB Keyboard?
Old 03 November 2019, 16:21   #156
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Why use a PS/2 Keyboard why not just go for USB Keyboard?
because PS/2 design is open-sourced
Old 03 November 2019, 19:44   #157
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Please don't change too much. Stay as original as possible.
Old 04 November 2019, 11:06   #158
Mick

I added the A500 connector purely because from what Jens has said it would render the (impossible to get) PLCC keyboard controller unnecessary and adapters can made using custom controllers (or the easier to get A1200 controller), I left support in for the 6571 because my ideal is that the boards can be used for 1:1 repairs. I only tried to add things to solve the problem of parts no longer being available.

The PCB's have arrived and early signs look good, there's no obvious problems and the A604N I tested fits like a glove, the only issue I've noticed is that I changed the A500 connector to CN17 at the last minute and forgot to change the silkscreen on the back (which still says CNB13) but if that's the only mistake I'll take it. I was dreading all sorts of things going wrong and I can't afford to keep ordering PCB's to fix stuff, that's partly why I've been so cautious.

I will try to post some decent photos later and I'll forward some boards to Acill in the coming days.
Old 04 November 2019, 13:18   #159
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
I’m amazed by the point reached by this project! Truely great, mate!
Indeed I hope you’d stay as close to the original too, although a couple of fan headers here and there could be nice to mod a machine heavily accelerated with Vampire, Furia or ACA630.
Old 04 November 2019, 16:30   #160
Mick

If people want to modify it to their own preference later then that's the idea, I just wanted to release a base version along wih the files that others can hopefully learn/build from.

The 9-pin connectors may need moving back a little to be absolutely perfect, might be a bit tight. I'm not sure it could just be they were soldered in at an angle.

I'm quite relieved that the boards have come out as I expected with no unwelcome surprises.

Last edited by Mick; 04 November 2019 at 19:01.