English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 November 2018, 21:29   #1981
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I thought this was the case - it just seems like an enormous amount of effort is required...! Patience is a virtue I guess...
Old 12 November 2018, 23:42   #1982
NLS
Ancient User

I recall that this is how it works indeed. Actually not much work.
In fact back then not many things were more powerful.
Old 13 November 2018, 07:57   #1983
WildW

Apparently an Amiga CD32 floppy drive to scart cable is a thing. . . erm, what does it do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-CD3...d/361252862041
Old 13 November 2018, 08:01   #1984
Jope
-

The floppy drive this is supposed to connect to has an RGB port, this cable is for that specific floppy expansion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-CD3...item545184bf3d

So to answer the question: this cable + that floppy expansion allow you to hook up your CD32 to a display with RGB SCART.
Old 13 November 2018, 23:32   #1985
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I am buying a CIA chip for my A500 for backup, part number 318029-03. If I slap this chip into the Amiga, while there is already a 318029-01 or 318029-02, would I expect the Amiga to throw a hissy fit?
Old 14 November 2018, 00:22   #1986
NLS
Ancient User

I suspect it will work but you will have issues with the clock (not the crystal, the actual time).
The only difference between C64 CIA chips and Amiga CIA chips, is how they manage real time clock. C64 is actually more advanced in this respect AFAIK (!)...

EDIT: Erm... don't know why I brought this up, when you clearly not talk about C64 CIA. Being 1:25 in the morning doesn't help.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:35   #1987
Jope
-

As long as it is an 8520 CIA in a DIP package, the A500 will take it just fine.

The -03 (8520PD) model is rated up to 2MHz, but that doesn't make any difference in this application.
Old 14 November 2018, 19:51   #1988
andyhants

Creating bootable Boing demo disk

OK I know this is a really dumb one & I confess I'm ashamed about not knowing but I can't work it out so here goes...

I am trying to create an library of bootable ADFs of my favourite Old Skool Demos from the beginning of the Amiga (c. 1985) thru to present day - say my 10 faves per year. I want to have them as ADFs I can run from WinUAE & that said demo runs when I boot with the ADF in DF0:.

The problem is I can't work out how to get this working when trying with say Boing as the first example. So I download the Boing Demo from say Pouet & I get the files Boing & Boing.Samples. I then do a ' Create Standard Disk' under WinUAE as say 'Boing.adf' & save it in the appropriate Windows Folder, then boot WinUAE to WB 1.3, load Boing.adf in DF0:, then open a new CLI window and type install df0:.

I then copy over the Boing and Boing.Samples files to DF0: & then create an S drawer and in S create a Startup-Sequence file with 'Boing' as the only entry. So as far as I know that should be enough.

I then boot with my standard WB1.3 config in WinUAE with Boing.adf in DF0: it seems to go through a WB loading process but I end up with the attached screen & no Boing Demo. I've tried to add other commands after 'Boing' in the Startup-Sequence such as Endcli but it comes back with 'Unknown Command Endcli' suggesting to me that it has actually processed 'Boing' but done nothing with it? I've also rebooted WinUAE, load WB 1.3, loaded the Shell & done CD to DF0: & typed Boing & low & behold the demo runs.

As I said at the top I'm very conscious this is a dumb question but can someone please explain how I acheive what I'm looking for? I'm only using Boing as a single example - I want to do the same thing with other Demo executable files & create bootable ADF for each of them.

Many thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boing screencap.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	60821  
Old 14 November 2018, 20:16   #1989
DamienD
Banned

Possibly missing "Libs" or something...

Can you put your .ADF in The Zone! and I'll take a look
Old 14 November 2018, 20:31   #1990
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Possibly missing "Libs" or something...
Yup, you need "LIBS/mathtrans.library" for the demo to run... copy this from your "Workbench v1.3 (Workbench)" disk to your .ADF and all good

Edit: just as additional information; I used "Snoopdos" to work out what files are required.

I'd imagine though, that copying these "LIBS/.library" files across to your .ADF would work for most demos, so this will save you trying to ascertain exactly which one / ones are required:
  • diskfont.library
  • mathieeedoubbas.library
  • mathieeedoubtrans.library
  • mathtrans.library

Last edited by DamienD; 14 November 2018 at 20:54.
Old 15 November 2018, 14:34   #1991
Glen M

It is possible to due boot operating systems on the amiga as say 3.1 and 3.9?

I suppose you could do it with the boot menu but is there anyway to get a prompt on screen and press 1 or 2 to boot OS3.1 or OS3.9?

Don't know why I'd want to but the thought randomly occurred so thought I'd ask.
Old 15 November 2018, 14:45   #1992
Daedalus

Yep, there are a couple of ways of doing it, generally involving some clever scripting in the startup-sequence. You can reassign the key system assigns like SYS:, C:, Libs: etc. and then boot from any volume as decided by your script. For safety, it would be best to save the choice in a file (saving an env variable is how I would suggest doing it), so that the same OS version gets booted again in cases where the OS needs a reboot during its boot process. I used this method back in the day with the KeyPressed command to set a different OS based on holding down different keys during boot, otherwise it would just boot straight into 3.9.

For an example of this technique, have a look at the startup-sequence on the OS 3.9 emergency floppy, which transfers the boot process to the CD, so the system appears as if it booted from the CD.

Another option is to change the boot priority of the different partitions to select the OS of choice. This is typically done using HDToolbox, but there are command line tools for modifying this without using HDToolbox. For example, changebootpri from Thomas Rapp, available from his web page.
Old 15 November 2018, 14:46   #1993
NLS
Ancient User

Like this?
[ Show youtube player ]

But I think also this can be done.
The command to change boot priority is great too. The logic is this: You make a tiny boot partition, where the selector is set up. You choose what to boot (maybe with a timer too), the script changes boot priority and reboots.
When any of the main boot partitions starts, one of the first things in startup-sequence is to reset boot partition to the third tiny one.
Another option is to just have two partitions and in both of them have the script ask if you want to switch or stay in that one (and then do the boot priority trick).
Old 15 November 2018, 20:12   #1994
MageMaster

Ok- Lets show just how much I don't know.. but am learning.

I think I've toasted something in my machine and/or my external drives. Guess I should have done some research ahead of time before doing what I did.

I chained multiple external floppy drives together with various 0/1 switch settings.. and I thought they were working.. but now none of my external floppy drives seem to work. I have not swapped machines, as I wanted to post first.

Did I fry something, and if so what can I do to fix?

I've learned a lot just by doing and really didn't think about it being an issue..
Old 15 November 2018, 20:29   #1995
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, you need "LIBS/mathtrans.library" for the demo to run... copy this from your "Workbench v1.3 (Workbench)" disk to your .ADF and all good

Edit: just as additional information; I used "Snoopdos" to work out what files are required.

I'd imagine though, that copying these "LIBS/.library" files across to your .ADF would work for most demos, so this will save you trying to ascertain exactly which one / ones are required:
  • diskfont.library
  • mathieeedoubbas.library
  • mathieeedoubtrans.library
  • mathtrans.library
Great stuff Damien thanks mate spot on for getting Boing to work. I'll try the same for other Demos too.

On a related point I've never used SnoopDOS but should give it a try. Presumably it does something like inform you of all the routines etc that an executable is trying to call - something like that ?
Old 15 November 2018, 20:42   #1996
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhants View Post
[...] On a related point I've never used SnoopDOS but should give it a try. Presumably it does something like inform you of all the routines etc that an executable is trying to call - something like that ?
Something like that yes
Old 17 November 2018, 00:06   #1997
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Here's a question...

I thought I would use "ExtractHere" from Daedalus's website - great little piece of useful software.

SO, how do I create a default icon which will instruct my Amiga to use ExtractHere every time I double click on an icon that has the extension .lha

I have tried several times to follow the instructions about setting up a defualt icon type in ENV/sys but when I try this and reboot the files that have .lha extensions don't play ball, when doule clicked they just state that they are not executionable files, error return code 10.

I don't really want to go through all my files that have the extension .lha and have to change the tooltype to System:C/ExtractHere - I just want it to automatically happen.

I must be missing something...? Help!
Old 17 November 2018, 08:41   #1998
thomas

You have to change the type of the icon from Tool to Project. Only then you can specify a default tool.

Tool types don't need to be changed.
Old 17 November 2018, 10:59   #1999
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Hi Thomas - thanks.

It seems that every file I download or encounter with a .lha extension is recognised by Workbench as a tool (not a project) so does this mean that I would have to change each file individually to be a project type and then set the default tool for it? This seems very time consuming, it would be quicker to just open CLImaster or Dopus and unarchive the files this way - I thought that by setting up ExtractHere, it would save time by just enabling me to double click a .lha file and it would automatically unarchive itself (after I had set the correct Def icon settings) Maybe it's not as easy as I thougth...?
Old 17 November 2018, 12:21   #2000
Daedalus

Unfortunately that's how it needs to be done unless you have something like DefIcons installed, which can assign default icons to different types of files. Without DefIcons installed, you'll need to copy an icon to the file to unpack. I would suggest keeping a suitable icon somewhere handy and copying it to the file rather than changing the file settings each time, but it's probably still quicker if you have DOpus installed.