English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2003, 13:31   #1
Malc
Zone Friend

Commercial Game Releases!

Now, I've been away for about a year (ask anyone that knows me from previous Amiga experience) but I have to ask.

What is with these DVD game packs that are being released more and more often in gaming stores!? our local shop has a collection of 300+ titles on one DVD and it's only £9.99 !! - these games sold for a lot more back in the day.

Plus, how have they got permissions to do this kind of thing commercialy? I know it's less of a problem if you're a company but isn't emulating the miggy still pretty legaly dangerous?

Kick2.0 and higher for example.

Oh - hello to everyone I know btw
Old 08 September 2003, 13:35   #2
IFW

Those are unathorised disks, that is how.
There is an individual selling them all looking professional at least under 3 different website company/names, but due to various reasons you can trace back being only one guy.

http://www.emulatorsunlimited.co.uk/

I guess he acts professionally enough to fool shops shelving his w@rez.

I can assure you not a single piece of software is licensed on those.
The very same "company" sold mame rom CDs (I can assure you you can't license any such material), Sega rom CDs (no license there either) and Nintendo CDs (in fact they hunt down anyone selling their old games as roms) and Spectrum game images (most of those are free however)
They probably had a different name a while ago, and I don't see their other "products" they even claimed their Gremlin CD was legal which in fact is not, like nothing else they sell, apart from free stuff.
They are also selling amiga2pc (!!!) - their own "development" - which is the free program pc2amiga, with copyright stuff eliminated.

Enjoy :eek
Old 08 September 2003, 13:42   #3
Malc
Zone Friend

Hey I don't condone that kind of junk myself but they are hitting shelves of Dixons, Woolworths, Chip, Gamestation and even the local only shop "A&B Games" so somewere along the line these unlicensed discs have slipped through and someone MUST have noticed them.
Old 08 September 2003, 13:51   #4
IFW

Apparently not, it looks way too professional, so people buying it are unaware of buying w@rez - in shops! So are the chains themselves I guess. It was also seen in WHS I think.
I guess the guy is a good actor or knows a very good distributor involved in his crimes.
Feel free to submit the main site to IDSA. (there are others google can reveal them)

edit: not the main site, so we can trace him again when he changes to a "new company"
Old 08 September 2003, 14:09   #5
Bloodwych

That's an absolute disgrace.

What angers me the most is that genuine emulation sites offering downloads for free are being shut down. Many of these sites are run by people who love the emulation scene and want to share there interests with the world. The same people also offer their own time and dedication so we may all benifit.

Then arse holes like this come along and get away with making money off other peoples hard work. What's their excuse - "well I spent time putting these CD's together... blah blah blah" - bullshit! People spent far much more time ripping the roms, making the emulators and putting all this stuff out there for free so we can share and be a community. This jerk then downloads it all, packages it and reaps the benefits, something anyone could do with the right hardware.

I appreciate that some people don't have fast connections, but what I'd say to them is that buying trash like this damages the community. This is exactly why companies (who funnily enough exploit sometimes, but legally) have started coming down hard - they realise that the retro scene is commercially viable due to these losers making profits.

I'd love to pluck this guy out and place him in a room with all the people whose hard work he's exploiting.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 September 2003 at 14:24.
Old 08 September 2003, 14:15   #6
IFW

Go ahead imho, living in the UK you can do it. Just stop him selling through chains would end most of his profits - obviously much more, than through his ever changing internet locations.
Old 08 September 2003, 14:21   #7
Malc
Zone Friend

I agree and as soon as I saw the DVD set in question I thought, hang on.

a) What is any Amiga software doing in new stores today
b) It HAS to be illegal
c) Who would purchase that software set? all respect to Toni and WinUAE but without SOME knowledge of the Amiga system it's not gonna be easy to get them running is it.
Old 08 September 2003, 18:18   #8
Bobic

You're right, this company is selling illegal stuff. I know it for sure for the compilations Amiga Classix 2 +3. Both have been compiled by Darkage Software (www.darkage.it) and published by Epic Interactive (www.epic-interactive.com). The commercial games who are on this compilations are licensed, including the Kickstart ROMs. But the versions which www.emulatorsunlimited.co.uk are selling, are illegal. The cover artwork and CD label are looking totally different to the original versions!

Two weeks ago Thomas Steiding from Epic gave me some copies of both compilations for a giveaway at BTTR. So I can confirm at least these CDs are illegal.

I would suggest to inform ELSPA about this company. ELSPA is like IDSA, but responsible for European countries like UK -> www.elspa.com.
Old 08 September 2003, 18:58   #9
Amiga1992

I suggest this:

Somebody mail this dude and pretend to be a softwre shop. Fool him into thinking that you want to buy some off him for reselling.

Get his addy, call teh ELSPA, bang his ass.
Old 08 September 2003, 19:11   #10
IFW

This guy I had seen before CAPS started, so has made a lot of money by now with his w@rez compilations sold at chains.
I guess he is pissing of mame guys too, maybe Tourn would like to have a look as well
I really do hope you get his arse kicked big time.
Old 08 September 2003, 19:20   #11
CHiEF
Captain

funnily enough, i went into Meadowhall in Sheffield at the weekend, and in 'Game' and 'Electronics Boutique' both shops were stocking a CD compilation of "thousands of C=64 games" which in my opinion must also be illegal. this really is quite sickening.
Old 08 September 2003, 19:22   #12
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
When he gets caught its more then just a fine he'll be getting, stupid bastard
Old 09 September 2003, 12:11   #13
Bobic

Some news: Probably this company is run by a man called Vince Pike. Someone (I don't want to name him here) has told me that he's sure about that. He said the Swindon address and the layout proves, that it must be Vince Pike. Mr. Pike always used this layout style.

My contact also said, that this is at least the 5th company under which he sells his illegal stuff for the last 3 years. Vince Pike was and/or is still running Epic Marketing (UK), epic-direct, amigagames.co.uk and other companies! If you inform a lawyer about this guy, he will close his company and will appear under a new name a couple of months later... :-(
Old 09 September 2003, 13:17   #14
tin

Angry

Unbelievable.

So does Epic Marketing UK and epic-direct have anything to do with epic interactive that Bobic just posted about or are they somehow seperate?
Old 09 September 2003, 13:20   #15
CHiEF
Captain

Since I now work for the company that currently owns all the rights to the old Amiga Gremlin games, I have reported this to the production director and CEO and it looks like the discs are illegal and consequent action will be taken. Cheers guys.
Old 09 September 2003, 13:28   #16
fiath

Cool! What company is that if you do not mind me asking?
Old 09 September 2003, 13:47   #17
CHiEF
Captain

Zoo Digital Group plc
http://www.zoodigitalgroup.com

no worries mate The source code for Zool is about 3 foot from my desk
Old 09 September 2003, 14:42   #18
tin

wonder if jeff minter has seen the product that v-direct are offering??

http://v-direct.org.uk/mutantcamels2.htm
Old 09 September 2003, 14:46   #19
IFW

Don't know, but they are selling Beneath a Steel Sky which is freeware...
Edit: make a list of all the titles, yet another company of Vincent Pike...
It's easy this time, on this site he offers the Nintendo w@rez!!!
It is just assumption based on all the other material is stolen IP, but feel free to give Jeff Minter a link to his work.
:eek

Last edited by IFW; 09 September 2003 at 14:51.
Old 09 September 2003, 14:53   #20
tin

Through a bizarre chain of events I have found out that it definately IS Vince Pike!!!

also... do a whois at nominet for the domain names!!!!

Last edited by tin; 09 September 2003 at 15:03.