English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2011, 11:00   #1
JimPlaysGames

Retro Let's Play Series Trailer - Jim Plays Games

Hello English Amiga Board people.

I hope this isn't too presumptuous of me, but I have a let's play channel with a lot of retro games, mostly Amiga, which I thought might interest some of you. Laffer and Mogilny kindly mentioned my channel previously, and DJay was very helpful in getting the special AGA version of Eye of the Beholder to work.

I've made a trailer for one of my series, Ain't Played In Ages. I play games that I used to play back in the day but haven't touched for many years and do live commentary. In the video I'm playing them for the first time since then, and sharing some of my nostalgia about them. There are quite a few Amiga games, but many from other systems too.

[ Show youtube player ]

I've also got another series called Overlooked Oldies, which is similar except that it's with games that I never played back in the day, but have been requested by subscribers. This has turned out to be mainly Amiga games. I haven't made a trailer for that one, but the trailer for Ain't Played In Ages should give you an impression of what to expect.

There's also Continuing Classics, which is for games I've come back to many times over the years. Another one is Pseudo-Retro, which is about modern games that emulate the style of retro games.

And finally there's Frontier Fundamentals, which is a let's play / tutorial series about Frontier: Elite 2. There's a trailer for that here if that interests you.

[ Show youtube player ]

Hope you enjoy

Oh by the way, I swear a lot.

EDIT:
Here's some links for each of the videos I've done, organised by system in alphabetical order:

Amiga
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Atari ST
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Megadrive
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Master System
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Windows / DOS
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by JimPlaysGames; 16 October 2011 at 11:29. Reason: Adding links
Old 20 September 2011, 13:48   #2
laffer
Zone Friend

Nice trailer, makes me want to watch some of them again... "that's so horrible, look at the steaming corpse... I've gotta do that again!"

I like how you put all the links in the description btw, very handy.
Old 20 September 2011, 14:57   #3
JimPlaysGames

Thanks

Do you think it would be worth putting the links in here, or would that be overkill? I could add them to the original post. I was thinking of putting them in one of those spoiler tag things so they could be hidden or revealed at will but I don't know how to do that or if it's possible on this board.
Old 20 September 2011, 20:38   #4
Djay
95th User

[ Show youtube player ]

^THIS

maybe because Frontier is one of my favourite games ever, maybe because Jim has a great sense of timing and superb editing skills

Frontier Fundamentals series is so well made!
Old 20 September 2011, 22:25   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

lol @ carrier command video. Launching aircrafts with no fuel is not a good idea. Still, you got further than I ever got with the game, I might try it again now that I've seen basically every way not to play the game.
Old 20 September 2011, 22:37   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPlaysGames View Post
Thanks

Do you think it would be worth putting the links in here, or would that be overkill? I could add them to the original post. I was thinking of putting them in one of those spoiler tag things so they could be hidden or revealed at will but I don't know how to do that or if it's possible on this board.
I think you should post the links, would only be helpful in my opinion.
Old 21 September 2011, 08:05   #7
JimPlaysGames

Added links for each of my videos, organised by system.
Old 21 September 2011, 11:46   #8
Patarival

I have to say, I like his videos a lot and I'm usually not a let's play watching type of guy.

Also, his Frontier Fundamentals is absolutely brilliant - as is the game (I think it's better than the sequel).
Old 22 September 2011, 05:07   #9
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah it's a good channel Jim and your videos make me want to play these games again

On the subject of Frontier. I spent a good deal of time with it, and despite quibbles here and there, it's a masterpiece of programming by David Braben. It does have a fundemental flaw of course and that is no sense of urgency as such. It'a a subject iv'e brought up on here in fact- being able to save absolutely anywhere does away with that. It's why Elite feels different when you play it using an emulator and quick saves. The Risk vs reward being absolutely essential for why Elite feels the way it does

There is this very good argument that you don't have to use quick saves but when you know there is this optional feature, it may as well be an actual part of the game- it is actually part of the game of course in the same way hyperspace exists for Asteroids- and that's a 50/50 option to death anyway. It's very much like if in this real world we knew we could rewind time back with our minds if we wanted to. Danger in the form of falling over or perhaps from out of a window, an oncoming car and even a bad decision made, all these things would no longer be of concern in the way they are definitely now. Just knowing we could alter reality this way would remove that sense of danger in the same way that danger really doesn't exist in a game of frontier

The evolution of games has i think been slowed down a fair bit thanks to people's acceptance of what should now be an important element- with design being fitted around that in a way that's not frustrating and obviously in keeping with it being a game
Old 22 September 2011, 11:10   #10
JimPlaysGames

You make a very interesting point. If Frontier wasn't as buggy I would be in favour of only saving at ports perhaps. But when you can die very randomly from things that clearly weren't intended to be deadly, like using the autopilot and bugs that cause assassination targets not to show up, saving becomes necessary to avoid these.

But I take your point that having a more limited ability to save definitely alters the experience of playing the game. If you've ever played Uplink, then you'll have a very clear impression of this. It is possible to go into the game files and copy the save data, but generally if you get caught then it's game over and you have to start from scratch. So doing something very risky like robbing the banks is really nerve racking in a way that it never could be without being able to save and go back. You can of course save your game, but only when you leave the game to come back later.

That's why I play Mount and Blade with the harder game mode where you only have one save slot and it always saves on exit. Although you can't actually die in the game, you can lose everything, including your army and equipment. So there is a real tension if you get into a losing battle. In the other game mode where you can have multiple saves, losing a battle just means reloading.

I do often wish there was a quick save feature in real life. Would be fun to just try out crazy shit after pressing F6 and seeing what happens. Just make sure you press F9 before you hit the ground.
Old 22 September 2011, 14:07   #11
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
I do often wish there was a quick save feature in real life. Would be fun to just try out crazy shit after pressing F6 and seeing what happens. Just make sure you press F9 before you hit the ground.
You're not the only one who has been thinking of this ! We must be crazy or just have been playing too much games
Old 22 September 2011, 16:50   #12
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah I've also been thinking that exact same thing more than once
Old 22 September 2011, 20:32   #13
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Rewind could be fun but a pause mode would be even more so if you know what i mean- which is just as well we can't then

And from what you say, it sounds like i should give Uplink a go then

Last edited by Adropac2; 22 September 2011 at 20:37.
Old 23 September 2011, 14:41   #14
JimPlaysGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Rewind could be fun but a pause mode would be even more so if you know what i mean- which is just as well we can't then

And from what you say, it sounds like i should give Uplink a go then
Oh wow, but if you could pause, would you be able to unpause. Imagine being stuck forever in one moment of time, unable to do anything but conscious and staring at the same scene for all eternity. Fuck that's horrific.

But yeah Uplink is great. Really tense at points and quite a unique kind of game. Made by the same people who made Darwinia and DEFCON as I understand it.
Old 23 September 2011, 16:28   #15
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
But yeah Uplink is great. Really tense at points and quite a unique kind of game. Made by the same people who made Darwinia and DEFCON as I understand it.
Yeah and iv'e still yet to get my teeth fully into Darwinia. Looking forward to his next game as well
Old 23 September 2011, 17:34   #16
JimPlaysGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Looking forward to his next game as well
Oh yeah I've seen that. It looks amazing. Procedurally generated cities and buildings FTFW!
Old 25 September 2011, 22:04   #17
laffer
Zone Friend

New video up today, this time he did a request I made - Shadow of the Beast 3

Really cool to see the game through new eyes like this, I love the idea of recording videos of trying out various classic games for the very first time!

Here are the links -
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 September 2011, 23:31   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Having seen quite a few vids now I can say two things:

- love how you absolutely -love- games
- that love for games makes it really fun to see you play them; your narration passes on the fun you are having (it made me like Carmageddon while I used to find it really boring!)

Moar!
Old 27 September 2011, 18:53   #19
laffer
Zone Friend

He just added a bunch more Flashback videos, he's doing a full playthrough of that, great stuff
Old 27 September 2011, 21:50   #20
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Hi Jim,

I really think you've struck gold with this concept. I'm actually enjoying watching you play these classics more than I would if I played them myself, which must break all kinds of ethical gaming codes. Your enthusiasm is so infectious and visceral; unscripted spontaneity that conveys feelings you couldn't hope to invoke through reading a review, or watching a polished retrospective documentary edited to within an inch of its life.

Sharing your first impressions of the games that shaped my childhood 20 years ago in 2011 is a bizarre, surreal and compelling experience.