English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 June 2013, 14:26   #1
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
Blizzard 030 trouble.

I sold my apollo 040, because I don t really need the power and was annoyed with the sound and the incompatibility. So I got myself a blizzard 1230 mark III .
When I first got the card got a lot of Guru's . I recognized the behavior from my apollo, it is picky on the memory you use in it. So I replaced the ram, still the same guru. Cleaned the simm slot and the simm and that took care of the guru's.
However the 030 @ 50 MHz gets so hot it just stops working after sometime. Just running classic workbench doing nothing after some time it hangs the amiga getting little red stripes on a black screen.
I checked if the cpu was overclocked it's mc 68030rc 50b so I don't think so. I checked the voltage maybe it's over 5v but it's not 4,71 a bit low even.
So what's the deal with the 030 @ 50? is it suppose to get this hot? And I mean it will burn your finger.
What's up with the trapdoor cover? Is it designed to leave it off? It's not only the double simm, I don't think a thinner simm will let me close the door.
I just wanted a care free amiga with some power, because I like to play some multichannel mod's
There is no place for a heat sink or a fan. What I can do is clock it down... of clue a aluminum strip to the CPU so it can lose some heat.
Any idea's

Old 15 June 2013, 11:47   #2
VoltureX

I have one of these cards myself but do not have issues with heat.

I always leave the trap door open when I have accelerator cards inserted.

If that's not enough I would fit a heat sink so the card is still silent.

On 030 boards it should not be nessasary to fit a fan.

Best of luck!

Volt.
Old 15 June 2013, 20:31   #3
klx300r

I've had the MKIII for years in my 1200 rev1d4 with zero issues and I can confirm that I never had any heat related problems even after days of use.

I had the trapdoor cover on but drilled a bunch of holes in it for ventilation and also had a small 5v fan in the case too as I had a 'real' IDE hd0 that got quite hot after a day or so of constant use.

It could be that your ram is the wrong speed? did you try a different manufacturer/type of ram?
Old 17 June 2013, 01:51   #4
voyager
The show must go on.

The simm module is stable now, I have no instability issues anymore on that part. But after about 90 minutes it will give me recoverable alerts and after a reboot it will no longer boot. After some cool down time all is fine again and its stable. I will try another simm and see.
The cpu gets VERY hot.(you can smell hot electronics) I was trying to find a slimline 32MB simm but could not find any for sale so the trapdoor is still open.
Playing with the idea to use some thermal glue and clue a aluminum strip to the 030. But on the other hand maybe it's some of the clue logic that's getting old and overheats. It sucks a bit but I bought this card so I have to find a way to get it working. It's really stable for a hour.
I will order some small fan's but I think a heat sink will do the trick.
Old 17 June 2013, 06:50   #5
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
The simm module is stable now, I have no instability issues anymore on that part. But after about 90 minutes it will give me recoverable alerts and after a reboot it will no longer boot. After some cool down time all is fine again and its stable. I will try another simm and see.
The cpu gets VERY hot.(you can smell hot electronics) I was trying to find a slimline 32MB simm but could not find any for sale so the trapdoor is still open.
Playing with the idea to use some thermal glue and clue a aluminum strip to the 030. But on the other hand maybe it's some of the clue logic that's getting old and overheats. It sucks a bit but I bought this card so I have to find a way to get it working. It's really stable for a hour.
I will order some small fan's but I think a heat sink will do the trick.
hmm ok I would definitely get some thermal past and install a heat sink on the CPU for a start. If the problem still acts up then definitley get a small 5v fan and also always keep the trap door off to get airflow to that hot 030.
Old 17 June 2013, 19:25   #6
blizz1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
Lower voltage doesn't really mean you're safe there.It can actually make
transistors overheat as they have to pull more electric current.I would
try changing the PSU with one you know to be 100 % ok.

EDIT : Check if your PSU is getting hot too , maybe it is struggling and you need PSU with more Wats.

Last edited by blizz1220; 17 June 2013 at 19:32.
Old 18 June 2013, 18:45   #7
voyager
The show must go on.

I have used 2 psu one pc and one amiga, I am going to build my own psu because I am getting sick with the over / under voltage psu's

But your right the PC psu with it's 4,7v the problem gets worse. I orded some thermal glue to fit a heat sink. Maybe its also a cpu revision The latest 030 was a C and I have a B ref.
Old 18 June 2013, 19:49   #8
blizz1220

I really don't know does this apply to 68k Motorola but I had cases
where Pentium CPUs which were working with weak PSU for a long
periods of time started to develop overheating issues like the one
you are having.Changing PSU and even motherboard didn't help
them , they became about 10-20 degrees hotter then identical
CPUs that weren't exposed to bad PSU.Hower they worked fine
so I guess you're probably ok there

BTW did you check the temperature of Chip Memory and custom
chips ? They overheat even more then some 020s and 030s when
there is not enough wats (actually only one CustChip is really in
danger but for the life of me I can't remeber which one )