English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 20 December 2014, 22:36   #1
mritter0

gcc linker

I am converting from SAS/C to GCC, slowly, for OS3.9. I installed CubicIDE, seemed OK. I recently saw ADE on AmiNet. Installed that. Missing many include files. Copied my SAS/C include folder over. Took all the SAS/C assigns out so don't interfere.

GCC will compile some example programs (from Thomas Rapp's site), but they will not link. Error:

Quote:
/gg/m68k-amigaos/bin/ld: cannot open -lauto: No such file for directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
What am I missing? Is there not a fully functional and complete download of GCC with everything needed already in it, ready to go out of the box? Same for OS4.1? Not all the extra bloat, no VBCC, etc.
Old 21 December 2014, 03:18   #2
mritter0

I uninstalled CubicIDE and reinstalled it with minimal options, GCC only. Now my error message is:

Quote:
multiple definition of 'NewObject'
I am trying to compile scale.lha so I can use a makefile (for my project).
Old 21 December 2014, 07:27   #3
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mritter0 View Post
GCC will compile some example programs (from Thomas Rapp's site), but they will not link. Error:

What am I missing? Is there not a fully functional and complete download of GCC with everything needed already in it, ready to go out of the box? Same for OS4.1? Not all the extra bloat, no VBCC, etc.
Welcome to the world of GCC. I'm not sure GCC has any kind of auto Amiga library functionality. I couldn't find an auto.a or auto.lib anywhere in my GCC 3.4 installation (last version to have Amiga specific functionality). Vbcc links with -lauto to get it (lib is vlibos3:auto.lib). It looks like SAS/C has auto library opening built-in.

GCC is huge with many binutils fit for a whole OS (BSD), requires ixemul.library which is basically a BSD emulation library and it uses makelinks to files. It's not Amiga friendly. There were GeekGadget CDs that may have had enough on one CD for an installation but there is still an involved installation process. If you manage to get through it successfully then you have an old version of GCC installed.

What is wrong with vbcc? It's a 5 minute install using a standard Amiga install program.
Old 21 December 2014, 16:54   #4
mritter0

Actually I have gotten VBCC to compile the same program. I want to get both up and running since GCC is the "standard/preferred" compiler for OS4. So, makes sense to have it working.

Will keep working on it....