English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 August 2010, 17:25   #1
HighwayHawkes

White Screen

I have an Amiga 1200 that just shows a white screen when it is booted. It sounds like it is booting from the hard drive. If I insert a workbench disk it makes the normal noises reading the disk during booting. I have it connected to my TV RGB input using the original A1000 monitor SCART cable. My A1000 also has a similar problem, but is shows an all black screen. This is the first time I have used either Amiga for a few years. I would like to get at least one of them working so I can back up my old disks, if they are still readable.

This is my first post. I chose the name HighwayHawkes because I wrote the game many years ago and a game called GridStart a year earlier. I have lots of old source code and would like to try and back it up, not that it would be of much use now.

Old 26 August 2010, 17:42   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

David Cowham I presume?

Source code is like wonder dust around here, you might find a lot of interest on EAB

As for the problems you're having, sorry I can't help, just thought I'd say welcome to EAB
Old 26 August 2010, 20:15   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHawkes View Post
I have an Amiga 1200 that just shows a white screen when it is booted. It sounds like it is booting from the hard drive. If I insert a workbench disk it makes the normal noises reading the disk during booting. I have it connected to my TV RGB input using the original A1000 monitor SCART cable. My A1000 also has a similar problem, but is shows an all black screen. This is the first time I have used either Amiga for a few years. I would like to get at least one of them working so I can back up my old disks, if they are still readable.

This is my first post. I chose the name HighwayHawkes because I wrote the game many years ago and a game called GridStart a year earlier. I have lots of old source code and would like to try and back it up, not that it would be of much use now.
You would'nt be connecting it to Scart socket 2 of your TV?
If so, it may be the Second socket doesnt accept RGB, hence the white screen. Try it in Scart socket 1.
Old 26 August 2010, 22:49   #4
HighwayHawkes

The TV works with a DVD player through SCART on the same socket so I know it is working. Thanks for the suggestion though. My A1200 does not have any memory expansion so I assume the video RAM must be working since it would be shared by the processor. Are the schmatics available anywhere? I could try and fault find it.

Another option is if I can get hold of the Amiga side of Amiga Explorer on an Amiga disk that runs it on boot up. This would at least allow me to connect the PC to the Amiga so I could back up my disks. This of course assumes the Amiga is working apart from the video. From the noises the drive makes when I boot from a workbench disk it does.

Another option is if I can get the schematics of a circuit to connect an Amiga floppy disk drive to the PC and the software to use it.

Old 26 August 2010, 23:01   #5
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sounds like the age old problem of a dogie scart cable, search on here for a couple of posts about scart leads or order a new one from amigakit

also Welcome to EAB its a ribbiting good place to be
Old 26 August 2010, 23:20   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHawkes View Post
The TV works with a DVD player through SCART on the same socket so I know it is working. Thanks for the suggestion though. My A1200 does not have any memory expansion so I assume the video RAM must be working since it would be shared by the processor. Are the schmatics available anywhere? I could try and fault find it.

Another option is if I can get hold of the Amiga side of Amiga Explorer on an Amiga disk that runs it on boot up. This would at least allow me to connect the PC to the Amiga so I could back up my disks. This of course assumes the Amiga is working apart from the video. From the noises the drive makes when I boot from a workbench disk it does.

Another option is if I can get the schematics of a circuit to connect an Amiga floppy disk drive to the PC and the software to use it.
But the DVD may be using composite part of scart. So it would work no matter.
What about connecting it via Phono leads (not using scart). Does it show anything then?
Old 26 August 2010, 23:24   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
sounds like the age old problem of a dogie scart cable, search on here for a couple of posts about scart leads or order a new one from amigakit

also Welcome to EAB its a ribbiting good place to be
I've had some Dogie scart leads myself - woof. They can produce a white or black screen if they are not compatible with the TV being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
But the DVD may be using composite part of scart. So it would work no matter.
What about connecting it via Phono leads (not using scart). Does it show anything then?
As Fol suggests, try another method of connection, failing Composite you could try the RF output.