English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 May 2014, 21:19   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Using an interlaced mode?

When a game opens interlaced mode (like Slam Tilt) that has moving screen, the graphics become weird as if it's not hires. When I press F12 to try different settings, the graphics are suddenly hires again.

Is it possible to make UAE switch to 50hz interlaced mode? It might fix this problem but it always opens in 50hz progressive mode.
Old 15 May 2014, 22:22   #2
mark_k

You can try changing the line mode setting. "Double, fields+" gives a good simulation of an interlaced display (little or no de-interlacing artifacts), but make sure you've enabled vsync. And it flickers like a real Amiga with a CRT TV/monitor.

You may find "Double, fields" better than "Double, frames" if you don't like the interlace flicker of "Double, fields+".
Old 16 May 2014, 19:44   #3
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
You can try changing the line mode setting. "Double, fields+" gives a good simulation of an interlaced display (little or no de-interlacing artifacts), but make sure you've enabled vsync. And it flickers like a real Amiga with a CRT TV/monitor.

You may find "Double, fields" better than "Double, frames" if you don't like the interlace flicker of "Double, fields+".
None of the options work here. The graphics are always corrupted in interlaced modes. I wish I could force my monitor to work in real interlaced mode instead of progressive mode.

Here's a video of the problem: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 May 2014, 14:45   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

you can try with remove interlace artifacts. Perhaps you tried it already ?
Old 17 May 2014, 17:23   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It looks correct (same as real Amiga + CRT) if "doubled, fields" or "doubled, fields+" is enabled. Plain "doubled" only updates full frames (25fps)

You did change "Interlace line options", not "Line mode" options?
Old 18 June 2014, 21:01   #6
ancalimon
Supernormal

I plugged the Philips 201b4 which I rescued from being thrown to thrash.

Tried it to see if it changes anything. Well... It's a bit different now. When the screen is scrolling upwards laced video looks very nice but when it's scrolling downwards, it looks as if there is a problem with moire. Lines appear very jagged.

I've configured WinUAE to use a 100hz 1024x768 resolution. Enabled vsync 50hz option. Enabled black line insertion option from misc.

I had to switch Graphics API from Direct3d to DirectDraw because with black line insertion enabled, it caused the the game to suddenly become extremely slow and start flickering (cpu usage 0% fps:25) from time to time.

Here's video of the problem:

[ Show youtube player ]

Choosing double fields or double fields+ reduces the jaggedness very little but causes also the upwards scrolling to look bad like downwards scrolling.

EDIT: I have to enable remove interlace artifacts. It reduces the graphics corruption in downwards scrolling but also reduces the graphics quality during upwards scrolling.

Last edited by ancalimon; 18 June 2014 at 21:44.
Old 19 June 2014, 08:44   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am quite sure scrolling looking "wrong" in other direction is game "feature". (at least I remember seeing it when using 1084 monitor)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 19 June 2014 at 08:52.