English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 July 2019, 19:25   #361
Mark36

I'll have one for the a500 when ready.
Old 03 July 2019, 05:31   #362
aeberbach

Any chance you might sell sets of keycaps? I made my own keyboard, and they would be the perfect thing for it. As is I will be lasering some blank keycaps to complete the special keys for the Amiga 1200 but yours look pretty good.
Old 03 July 2019, 08:42   #363
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The gotek menu is accessed by holding down L. Shift/L. Alt and then selecting Up, down and Eject by pressing L. Ami, R.Ami or R Alt to select your file in the listing.
Has this been verified to not clash with the AmigaOS mouse keys?

LAmiga or RAmiga is held down to invoke mouse keys, then the cursor keys move the mouse pointer, add shift to move the pointer faster, tap LAlt for LMB RAlt for RMB.

Perhaps you could instead make the gotek mode togglable with a very seldom used key combo, then have the keyboard totally taken over in gotek mode (perhaps arrows + enter for gotek navigation?) and use esc to exit the gotek mode?
Old 03 July 2019, 13:03   #364
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Has this been verified to not clash with the AmigaOS mouse keys?

LAmiga or RAmiga is held down to invoke mouse keys, then the cursor keys move the mouse pointer, add shift to move the pointer faster, tap LAlt for LMB RAlt for RMB.

Perhaps you could instead make the gotek mode togglable with a very seldom used key combo, then have the keyboard totally taken over in gotek mode (perhaps arrows + enter for gotek navigation?) and use esc to exit the gotek mode?
Hi Jope. We are limited as to what keys can be used due to the constant scanning of the KB matrix. keys that are part of column and rows are continuously polled and will create havoc with the gotek hence the reason why i decided to go with special keys. I did look around for Amiga combo keys that do specific functions in the OS and couldn't find anything that conflicts, is there any literature? Testing didnt show any issues with the combo.

edit: i did find this, there doesnt appear to be any issues and outside of the OS definately no issues unless a game uses these keys which i cannot think of any...

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Using_...trol_Workbench

@aeberbach as regards selling the keycaps independently you will have to ask AOTL as it is his funding that paid for this project.

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 July 2019 at 13:14.
Old 03 July 2019, 14:16   #365
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
edit: i did find this, there doesnt appear to be any issues and outside of the OS definately no issues unless a game uses these keys which i cannot think of any...

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Using_...trol_Workbench
Cool, as long as amiga + shift + arrows works together, I'm happy. I use this surprisingly often.
Old 06 July 2019, 14:10   #366
cemi

Interested in a500 version!
Old 15 July 2019, 17:24   #367
Mick

I've just seen this video linked on the A1K forum:
[ Show youtube player ]

The keycaps look stunning, great work kipper!

Will the delete button be white on the finished product? that would be my only complaint looking at it.
Old 24 July 2019, 16:31   #368
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I've just seen this video linked on the A1K forum:
[ Show youtube player ]

The keycaps look stunning, great work kipper!

Will the delete button be white on the finished product? that would be my only complaint looking at it.
Haha, well caught Mick,

Yah, Hong Kong messed up, i messaged them on a Saturday, she apologized profusely that Saturday night, Had the 280 replacements made on Tuesday and shipped to AOTL on the Wednesday... Now tell me anywhere else that is so accommodating.

So i have more news... All the while this project has been going on i have been working on a few more projects, and this one i am mentioning below is now pretty well done...

It can be done quickly if we accept one small mod or it can take a couple of months longer if people complain like hell and say "No way, do it properly", so here is a piccie...

So the issue is that if we use the 9.0 spacebar (same as the 1200) then we would have to make the Alt and Amiga keys size 1.0. (which means no remanufacturing needed.

If we use the official 8.0 spacebar then we would need to get a mould made, this would take a couple of months and increase the price, but we can then use the proper size Alt and Amiga keys (no mould needed).

(Size 1.0 keycaps are the regular size keycaps used for the alphabet letters).

The keycaps missing on the picture can also be made with no moulds required (DEL, Help, Esc)

The keyboard will have the gotek button functionality with it, We haven't decided whether to give it USB capability yet. The price point should be very good for the A600MX now that it can be created using existing keycap sizes so options are there... Let me know what you think.

Some people have asked why use the smaller size Enter key on the MX projects. The simple reasons are that it allows the 2 blank keys to be added to the layout that a lot of people use for various apps (WHDLoad etc) so it makes sense for me to addit, hopefully to you also.

Colours will follow the original colour layout and also Black.

Last edited by kipper2k; 24 July 2019 at 16:56.
Old 24 July 2019, 18:40   #369
Mick

Personally, I would want them to be the original size but unless new cases and PCB's are made for it I won't be buying a keyboard for the Amiga 600 as things stand. I don't mind at all about the Enter key but that's what my A500 had all of those years ago so I never knew any different.
Old 25 July 2019, 14:51   #370
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Hey Kipper,

Good work with the A600 keyboard!

My personal preference would be to wait a couple of months longer and have the space bar the original and correct size. The enter key on my A600 (British layout) is the same sized Enter key as you've got there. Also will the arrow keys and the backspace key also be brown as they are on an actual A600 keyboard?
Thanks mate.
Old 25 July 2019, 14:57   #371
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
Hey Kipper,

Good work with the A600 keyboard!

My personal preference would be to wait a couple of months longer and have the space bar the original and correct size. The enter key on my A600 (British layout) is the same sized Enter key as you've got there. Also will the arrow keys and the backspace key also be brown as they are on an actual A600 keyboard?
Thanks mate.
Hi Sean,

yup, The keys will be the proper colours, i was just using the beta keycaps i had for illustration purposes. I will recommend that the spacebar be redone in the correct size to AOTL.
Old 25 July 2019, 15:05   #372
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Sounds good mate! Really love your work!

Last edited by sean_sk; 25 July 2019 at 15:14.
Old 25 July 2019, 17:57   #373
kipper2k

Here is a little more info on the A1200MX keyboard, first the piccie...

cables are a little messy as i am just using some dupont twisted wire cables.
So what you can see is the A1200MX connected to the Amiga 1200 by means of a PLCC socket on U13. This allows the MX to communicate via its Serial chip without the need of the 32 pin connector, so if you either have a broken connector/cable etc then you will always have the option to connect to U13. The plcc plugin does not interfere with the Indivision 1200

Using a PLCC connector that is plugged into U7 (Odd CIA) you can also use the MX keyboard but U7 does not have the KB_Reset line so you would either have to connect to the reset line of U13 or tie into the test point depending on your A1200 version. So basically all functions except a warm reset will work. (All functions work when connecting to U13).

The Gotek is connected to the MX keyboard to allow for the button select and video OSD, with the unused pads available for future use. The gotek has a onboard small OLED with a header for external OLED also. I also provided a reset button on the Gotek as i know what a pain it is sometimes to initially flash the Gotek. There is no IDE or power cables required for the gotek.

The MX keyboard has up to 6 combo keys that can be used for macro purposes with the Gotek. 3 are presently in use

Last edited by kipper2k; 25 July 2019 at 18:14.
Old 26 July 2019, 00:28   #374
SpocksBeer

Looking fantastic, Kipper.

Is there still a material difference between the A1200MX and the A500MX? I'm considering switching my preorder to a 500...

Also I'm assuming the U13 connection is much like the SUM USB keyboard adaptor? You could even use one of these if you have one I assume?
Old 26 July 2019, 04:56   #375
Argo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
I will buy one of each to evaluate. If they turn out to be as good as I expect, I will be buying 40 - 112 depending on price. Also if it will be available in US layout with US / NTSC keys.

I've got 112 500s and 1200s that could use a new keyboard. If these work I'll have 160 sets of the new keycaps from the Kickstarter up for grabs.

If the 1000 model becomes a reality, I'd want a dozen or so. When you move on to the big box models, I'd take at least 50 for the 4000 if I replace all of them.

Suffice to say, if these fit my needs, I want them. Probably in a large volume.
Damn, That's a lot of Amigas I'm amazed at knowing someone has so many and looking to keep them in top working order

I'll just pipe in to say I'd be looking for a measly two A3000 versions, one or both with USB and the same for an A1000 version
Old 26 July 2019, 13:24   #376
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpocksBeer View Post
Looking fantastic, Kipper.

Is there still a material difference between the A1200MX and the A500MX? I'm considering switching my preorder to a 500...

Also I'm assuming the U13 connection is much like the SUM USB keyboard adaptor? You could even use one of these if you have one I assume?

Hi SpocksBeer, You can use the MX board in either the A500/A1200 and it can also be retrofitted into the external big box Amiga keyboard cases.. It can connect in many ways... (it is a one board fits all solution). The only thing is that if you use the MX in an A1200 you will need to snap off the little power LED module as the A1200 has its own (I made it breakable), but i did leave headers so you can always go back to the A500 fitting)

U13 provides all the signals that the MX keyboard needs, there is no need for any other KB adapter, the MX does it all for you.

Connect to the Amiga by;

- 8 pin a500 connector (You can even use this connector to attach to the A1200 via the PLCC plugin as the signals exist for it)
- 5 pin PLCC connector (U13 and U7 on A1200, although U13 is strongly recommended)
- 31 pin connector on A1200
- USB for using on PC/clone/Odroid/Tinkerboard/Pi4 etc.

I was just looking at a video of Amiga quake running on a Raspberry Pi 4, it is very impressive, there is no reason why you cant add the Pi4 to a new A1200 case that Phil has made that i believe has the mounts inside for these little boards and use the MX with it. Here is a link showing Amiga Quake running on a Pi4...

[ Show youtube player ]

This would be a Very! cheap solution if you are wanting to make a games machine for the kiddies (including yourself lol) and still maintain the Amiga "look".

As well as the a600MX keyboard i mentioned there is also a few other things close to reveal, more on that later

Last edited by kipper2k; 26 July 2019 at 13:39.
Old 26 July 2019, 13:51   #377
FREEMILK

nice update kipper2k
that video is quite nice here is an idea
A1200 net case, a pi4 , and a new MX keyboard , wow and way faster for less then a V4 , no drama no black and white etc. and you can actually get one before 2021 ??
Old 29 July 2019, 16:00   #378
AmigaBill

Can't wait for the new keyboard. I have a really fun project planned for it. Very excited!
Old 31 July 2019, 13:36   #379
kipper2k

New C64MX keyboard

Hi All,
It's time to show off another one of our projects almost completed

C64MX keyboard with keycaps

and ...

This shows basic keycaps added when i was initially setting it up. Keycaps will have the symbols as well as the letters

Keyboard is fully functioning and will have new keycaps and there will be a choice of what type the user prefers (more on that later).

The board is complete and can be used with USB so users can use with their PC if needed. Will post more info on it later.

Still have a couple of more new projects to announce, next one will be shortly

Last edited by kipper2k; 31 July 2019 at 14:05.
Old 01 August 2019, 00:26   #380
SpocksBeer

Damnit. Stop making things I want to buy!