English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 May 2024, 20:38   #1
Stick2092

Keyboard and audio issues with WHDload games with Fast RAM enabled

Hi there, I am having some very strange issues with WHDload games on my A1200, which only appear when the Fast RAM is enabled.

In Cannon Fodder, Moonstone, and Heimdall the keyboard doesn't work at all. In Sensible Soccer and SWOS, if I press Q I get a W instead, if I press E an R and so on. Additionally in Lemmings 1 and 2 not only does the keyboard not work but there is no audio at all. I can still reboot the machine with Ctrl-A-A though.

If I disable the Fast RAM using NoFastMem there are no issues, except for the picture and sound cutting out occasionally when loading.

I haven't tried any other games but no doubt there will be more with issues.

I tested the keyboard, audio and memory in Amiga Test Kit with Fast RAM enabled and there are no issues there.

I put my CF card with Workbench installed into my PC and ran it through WinUAE using the A1200 + 4MB Fast RAM configuration, and all the games work perfectly with no issues.

The Fast RAM I bought (A1208 V3) has a jumper to set it to 8MB or 4MB mode, this makes no difference. I also bought an old Blizzard 1220/4 accelerator to see if that would work, but I still get exactly the same issues with games.

The A1200 I bought has already been recapped by a previous owner.

After doing a quick search I can't find anyone else with the same issue. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 30 May 2024, 21:53   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Amiga A1200's have issues with PCMCIA conflicts when using 8Mb & different revisions of board do different things & have different timing fixes for certain accelerators. Search for "Ian Steadman A1200 timing fixes".

From my experiences, some 8Mb single sided 72Pin Simms can cause issues with DKB1240 accelerators, yet a double sided 32Mb, 64Mb or even 128Mb 50ns SIMM works fine?

If you can't get a double sided 72 pin SIMM in there to test, invest in a set of Diagrom's for your A1200 & test the computer.

Is the PSU okay or is it failing/low on any of the rails??

https://www.diagrom.com

You'll find links on eBay & around some of the Amiga online shops but you can download the images from the above link if you have the kit & know how to burn them.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 30 May 2024 at 22:01.