English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2021, 02:01   #1
aeberbach

A1200 huge hard drive, long pause, HD light on

I have a 4GB CF card in an A1200. It seems to be working OK but just now when I tried to copy something in to the 3.8G "Work" partition for the first time the system froze with the timer icon replacing the regular pointer and the HD light is staying on.

Is this the OS doing a first-time validation of the new partition? How long should it take?
Old 27 September 2021, 08:53   #2
Jope
-

The first time validation is done at format time.

Something else is failing here.
Old 27 September 2021, 09:01   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
What filesystem is on the drive?
Old 27 September 2021, 16:54   #4
Jpor
Banned

Probably worth checking your Partition settings in “HDToolBox” to make sure you have the correct max transfer setting etc to the Filesystem you are using.
Also which Kickstart ROM are you using?
Old 27 September 2021, 23:43   #5
aeberbach

Kickstart is 3.1.4.1, Workbench the same.

I should have responded to the filesystem questions but my garbage GBS video converter decided to die! I have to grab another monitor today and see what's up. I installed nothing extra over what was on the Hyperion install disks so I guess it must be FFS.

What filesystem would people recommend, PFS, FFS? What transfer settings would be right? The plan is for a default Workbench size, rest of the CF (3.8GB) as Work, then another 4GB CF on the secondary of the 4XEIDE99 for WHDLoad storage.

How would you do it differently if you had a single 40GB drive? Does Workbench 3.2 change anything?
Old 27 September 2021, 23:51   #6
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Kickstart is 3.1.4.1, Workbench the same.

I should have responded to the filesystem questions but my garbage GBS video converter decided to die! I have to grab another monitor today and see what's up. Will update.

What filesystem would people recommend, PFS, FFS? What transfer settings would be right? The plan is for a default Workbench size, rest of the CF (3.8GB) as Work, then another 4GB CF on the secondary of the 4XEIDE99 for WHDLoad storage.

How would you do it differently if you had a single 40GB drive? Does Workbench 3.2 change anything?
3.1.4 Kickstart and you have the 3.1.4.1 update applied to workbench/AmigaOS

You shouldn’t really have any problems to be fair as you have a good scsi.device version and Fast Filesystem.

For me I’ve always used PFS/3 but a lot of people swear by FFS with 3.1.4 and 3.2.

Things to try I guess would be to check you have Max Transfer set correctly, which it should already be with 3.1.4.1. May up the buffers to around 100 to 200 if not already set. Also try “Disk Doctor” to check for errors.

Another thing that maybe something to look out for is viruses. Get hold of VirusZ from Aminet and do a virus scan. Been caught out of late by picking up the “HappyNewYear 96” virus causing me all sorts of havoc from frozen workbench boot ups to Meditation errors
Old 28 September 2021, 00:08   #7
aeberbach

Might try the virus checker. Is there a booting virus checker disk to use? Not that I should have a virus, I'm only using few floppies including the original 3.1.4.1 install set and a couple I made myself with things like MMULib.

Can you say what max transfer should be?
Old 28 September 2021, 07:13   #8
aeberbach

I have a theory... a SIMM that I _thought_ was 8MB was detected as 4MB in the MX1230A 68030 card. I thought I must have been mistaken and I used it. Now after switching to a SIMM also marked 8MB and seeing it detected as 8MB I think maybe the troubles first time were related to that bad SIMM.

I reinstalled 3.1.4 FFS and patches on the same CF - this time no issues. I have been able to proceed through installing MMULib, Dopus, CF133, FAT filesystem etc. and have copied about 1GB of stuff onto the Work partition with no hangs.
Old 28 September 2021, 15:43   #9
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Might try the virus checker. Is there a booting virus checker disk to use? Not that I should have a virus, I'm only using few floppies including the original 3.1.4.1 install set and a couple I made myself with things like MMULib.

Can you say what max transfer should be?
Max Transfer should be 00x001fe00

Just had issues with a hanging system by not setting the max transfer correctly