English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 April 2007, 10:14   #1
Torkio

Catweasel Problem

I have got a problem with new Catweasel MK4 drivers update V 2.3.0.0
With these drivers I'm not able to write readable amiga disk, starting from an ADF.
I don't know if it is my fault or not.
There are new setting (cw_config.exe and cwconfig.ini) Do you know how to set it in a good way?
thank you!
Old 16 April 2007, 14:16   #2
pmc
gone

I haven't had that particular problem but I did find the driver to be a bit cranky to install. Had to do it a couple of times before it worked.

My only advice would be to reinstall the drivers in these stages:

Follow the readme.txt instructions and delete the files they tell you to from the Windows/system32 directory.

Reboot.

Now go into Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager and right click the Catweasel driver that should have a yellow ! beside it indicating that it's not working (cos you deleted the files earlier...)

Reboot.

System should find the Catweasel as a new device and prompt you for the new drivers, so direct it to the new driver files and let it install all the ones it needs to.

Reboot.

See if it's working.

Not sure if all those reboots are really necessary or just voodoo but it worked for me.

Also, I found that the drivers that get installed for Amiga joystick / mouse / paddle screwed up my joystick working via Catweasel in WinUAE. To get this working again I just went back into the Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager and disabled all the offending drivers.

Hope this helps. If not, the only thing I can think of is to go back to the old drivers and wait until another new set of drivers is released...
Old 16 April 2007, 18:00   #3
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc
I haven't had that particular problem but I did find the driver to be a bit cranky to install. Had to do it a couple of times before it worked.

Follow the readme.txt instructions and delete the files they tell you to from the Windows/system32 directory.

Reboot.

Now go into Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager and right click the Catweasel driver that should have a yellow ! beside it indicating that it's not working (cos you deleted the files earlier...)

Reboot.

System should find the Catweasel as a new device and prompt you for the new drivers, so direct it to the new driver files and let it install all the ones it needs to.

Reboot.

See if it's working.

Not sure if all those reboots are really necessary or just voodoo but it worked for me.

Also, I found that the drivers that get installed for Amiga joystick / mouse / paddle screwed up my joystick working via Catweasel in WinUAE. To get this working again I just went back into the Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager and disabled all the offending drivers.

Hope this helps. If not, the only thing I can think of is to go back to the old drivers and wait until another new set of drivers is released...
I will do the same voodoo ritual!
I hope that it will work!
thank you!
Old 17 April 2007, 00:28   #4
Torkio

It doesn't run. with ritual voodoo too.
Till now I had no problem with my floppy disk. I re-installed the V 2.2.0.0 drivers and they run again. I retried to install 2.3.0.0. I read my ADF with imagetool, then I write it on a disk, seems all ok but when I try to load it on amiga, it doesnt run.
I don't want to use 2.2.0.0 because these drivers give me often a bluescreen, and, above all, 2.3.0.0 have got the new joystick driver!
HELP me please! I sent an email to ami.ga (catweasel website) but no reply
Old 19 April 2007, 20:10   #5
moonstone

Have you solved the problem?
I have the same situation. I can read floppys fine but not able to write them.

Have you tried with different disk drives?

Old 19 April 2007, 23:10   #6
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstone
Have you solved the problem?
I have the same situation. I can read floppys fine but not able to write them.

Have you tried with different disk drives?
No I haven't solved the problem
I tried to change floppy drive (a new panasonic drive) but nothing to do, it doesn't run the same

Last edited by Torkio; 20 April 2007 at 15:55.
Old 20 April 2007, 10:55   #7
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc

Reboot.

Reboot.

Reboot.

See if it's working.

Please, how did you set the cwconfig.ini and cw_config.exe ? thank you.
Old 20 April 2007, 11:07   #8
pmc
gone

I didn't make any changes to those files at all I'm afraid.
Old 20 April 2007, 11:21   #9
Torkio

Scuse me, have you got 2 floppy drives mounted in your PC?
1st one 5.25 floppy drive
2nd one 3.5 floppy drive ?
I'm trying to undestand how cwconfig.ini works...
thank you again!
Old 20 April 2007, 11:24   #10
Torkio

And, abow all: do you use catweasel to create amiga disk from an ADF file or do you use it just for the joystick game ports?
because our problem is the floppy drive support
thank you!
Old 20 April 2007, 11:48   #11
pmc
gone

I have one 3.5" floppy drive connected - it's a Sony drive.

I mainly use my Catweasel for reading Amiga floppies and for connecting to an Amiga joystick. It sounds to me like your usage is different to mine. I think the driver is regarded as beta at the moment - perhaps the problem you're experiencing is a bug...
Old 20 April 2007, 12:39   #12
Torkio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc
I have one 3.5" floppy drive connected - it's a Sony drive.

I mainly use my Catweasel for reading Amiga floppies and for connecting to an Amiga joystick. It sounds to me like your usage is different to mine. I think the driver is regarded as beta at the moment - perhaps the problem you're experiencing is a bug...
You right, I use floppy drive to write disks, not to read disk!
BTW I have no problems to read real amiga disk and to create the ADF, as you do!
I don't konw if you have a real Amiga, you can try to create a amiga disk (from and ADF) and test it on real Amiga. if you'll have the same problem of mine, the writing doesn't run in 2.3.0 drivers.
Anyway, here my settings:

;# Floppy Drive related settings
;###################################################################################################
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; drives
; 0 no drive connected
; 1 one drive connected
; 2 two drives connected
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[floppy]
drives=1
; type
; 0 3.5"
; 1 5.25"
; doublestep
; 0 drive has 40 physical tracks
; 1 drive has 80 physical tracks
; rpm
; 300 (common for 3.5" pc drives)
; 360 (common for 5.25" pc HD drives)
; diskchange
; 0 ignore diskchange signal
; 1 use diskchange signal
; diskready
; 0 ignore diskready signal
; 1 use diskready signal
; pll_mode
; 0 "analog" reader pll
; 1 "digital" reader pll
; driveletter
; windows drive letter for this drive
[drive1]
; example for 3.5" drive, 300 rpm, 80 tracks (standard PC drive)
type=0
doublestep=0
rpm=300
diskchange=1
diskready=0
pll_mode=1
driveletter=A

let me know please!
Old 20 April 2007, 15:58   #13
Torkio

I spoke with Jens Schoenfeld (Individual Computers).
The problem is already under investigation.
So I suppose it is a bug.
I hope to see a bugfix soon!
Old 20 April 2007, 16:11   #14
pmc
gone

Yeah, as I said previously I thought it would turn out to be a bug. Sometimes these things happen I suppose, sit tight and wait and hopefully what you need will work properly again in the next verision...
Old 03 May 2007, 20:26   #15
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I got my CatWeasel a few days ago and installed the latest 'BETA' drivers. I can read an ADF from an Amiga disk no problem - but I cannot write one successfully. It writes Cylinder0 ok (Tracks 0,1) and always fails then on Sector 33 (first sector of Cylinder 1)... same as you guys??

I also have 2x 8580 SID chips installed and I get a nasty high pitched noise from the audio line until I start up Acid64 to play some music - then it goes away on the Left channel but still comes from the Right side

I got this card from eBay, so to check I bought another one from Amigakit brand new. This one has the same floppy writing problem but doesn't detect the SIDs at all! So my brand new card works LESS well than the one from eBay.

And to top it all of AmigaKit is giving me poor service and hasn't responded to my support ticket yet... all I want is a card to listen to SIDs on and read/write Amiga ADF... jeez...
Old 05 May 2007, 19:23   #16
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

The SID problem just seems to be a fault with the drivers. They make a horrible noise when the CatWeasel driver is loaded and it doesn't stop until the SIDs are initialised. I have a nice beta version of Acid64 which supports SID playback in stereo (with 2 SIDs) and that works great.

I can read ADF fine, but I still cannot write a disk - let's hope Jens releases another version soon and corrects this bug.
Old 05 May 2007, 21:17   #17
pmc
gone

Ah man - sounds like you're having a nightmare with your Catweasel...

Have you tried using one of the previous driver releases? - I think the write to floppy bug was introduced in this release so perhaps your SID problems were too?
Old 05 May 2007, 21:45   #18
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I've tried a couple of earlier releases, with various floppy drives I have here (Sony, Panasonic, NEC) and lots of different options and the imagetool complains it "cant detect catweasel drives" and quits. So that's even worse At least this BETA release reads ADFs - better than nothing.

SID problem isn't so bad. I just have to remember to mute the CatWeasel sound before I shut down my PC or it will squeal on next bootup. The noise goes away once Acid64 has been run. At least it's perfectly stable... I heard some people telling tales of blue screens etc - which is just unacceptably poor.

I'll hang on for Jens to get it sorted... because to be honest... I don't have much other choice
Old 06 May 2007, 09:29   #19
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Oh man!! I thought they nailed this `cant write a floppy from adf` business

talk about fix one thing and break 2
Old 14 May 2007, 11:50   #20
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Jens has released a new ImageTool for the BETA drivers - which apparently fixes problems with writing Amiga disks!! I'll try it when I get home...