English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 24 September 2011, 22:29   #1
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Reading the mouse...

I have an interesting problem which has been bugging me for a while. I start my demo and as soon as it ends it returns to workbench and *sometimes* restarts.
Originally what I thought was happening was that the mouse click used to exit the demo was being detected by workbench and restarts the demo. Sometimes if the point isn't over anything then nothing happens. Sometimes Devpac does something (like load in raw binary in replacement of my sourcecode!).
However, I have since added an extra screen where the key "1" is currently used to exit the demo and the same things are happening.

Now what I think is happening is that workbench is detecting the mouse left button, used to activate the demo, after the demo exits.
I use the following code to detect for a left button mouse press:

Code:
credits:
    **credits code**
exit4:
    btst    #6,$bfe001
    bne.s    credits            ;LMB pressed?
unpressed4:
    btst    #6,$BFE001
    bls.s    unpressed4        ;LMB unpressed?

Is this the correct way to detect for a mouse press? If I am right about workbench how do I fix the problem?

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 24 September 2011, 23:38   #2
pmc
gone

Personally, when I've done a test for press and release of a mousebutton myself in the past, I've used bne / beq rather than bne / bls but yes - the code you posted waits for a press *and* release of the left mousebutton.
Old 24 September 2011, 23:51   #3
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Personally, when I've done a test for press and release of a mousebutton myself in the past, I've used bne / beq rather than bne / bls but yes - the code you posted waits for a press *and* release of the left mousebutton.
I normally use beq and bne too, but I guess on this occasion I went for something a little out of the box

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 01 October 2011, 20:56   #4
pmc
gone

Hey Lonewolf10

When I read what Leffmann wrote here:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=779221&postcount=15

It reminded me of what you described:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10
I have an interesting problem which has been bugging me for a while. I start my demo and as soon as it ends it returns to workbench and *sometimes* restarts.
Originally what I thought was happening was that the mouse click used to exit the demo was being detected by workbench and restarts the demo. Sometimes if the point isn't over anything then nothing happens.
Maybe the solution is to implement the high priority input handler as described by Leffmann to capture stray mouse clicks or keypresses before they reach the Workbench which sounds like what might be happening and causing these random restart issues for you?

Just a thought anyway...

Last edited by pmc; 01 October 2011 at 22:23. Reason: added an n :)
Old 01 October 2011, 22:27   #5
Lonewolf10

Thanks, I'll look into it.

FYI, it's not just my demo that does that. I'm sure I have encountered a few other demo's that suffer the same problem when started from workbench. Of course, demo's are best started from boot-up anyway

Regards,
Lonewolf10