English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 29 July 2017, 01:05   #1701
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Did you try flashing them with a different speed firmware/or use different frequencies? I wonder if that could help the ISSI ram work. It's a shame not being able to use it considering how much cheaper it is.

And Happy Birthday plasmab!

I tried every Jed there was. The sparkle firmware does stop this RAM from failing systest, but the card was still somewhat unstable.

I'll have better answers once I obtain another set of Alliance chips and replace them on a board that currently fails with ISSI. I should have done that this time, since I don't know if my previous builds were just duds.
Old 29 July 2017, 01:08   #1702
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Also .. for anyone wanting the CD32 card

PCB Sources are opened up. Jed files to follow.

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf328

and for anyone who wants to get ahead of the game and order some PCBs

http://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/...tf328-rev1-zip

I havent verified this but i have refactored out all my mistakes from rev 0. Cant be sure they'll work for sure but i've not had a complete failure to date.

We'd need to procure a riser for this, right? Where can a guy nab one?

Thanks for putting this out! Look forward to realizing how bad I need to recap my CD32.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:10   #1703
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Memory timing may be an answer on my problems with TF cards - since i have 15ns chips
Old 29 July 2017, 09:06   #1704
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
We'd need to procure a riser for this, right? Where can a guy nab one?

Thanks for putting this out! Look forward to realizing how bad I need to recap my CD32.
I have a partially completed riser on github in my breakout repo. Otherwise badger Ian Steadman or Kipper2k.

@kipper2k may be persuaded to open source his riser?
Old 29 July 2017, 09:22   #1705
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Memory timing may be an answer on my problems with TF cards - since i have 15ns chips
Its all very odd. But i havent tried any other RAM chips and i have a 1 clock cycle delay in there anyways. Its possible i have a bug with OE timing that I just do not see on the RAM i have.
Old 29 July 2017, 10:17   #1706
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
I tried every Jed there was. The sparkle firmware does stop this RAM from failing systest, but the card was still somewhat unstable.

I'll have better answers once I obtain another set of Alliance chips and replace them on a board that currently fails with ISSI. I should have done that this time, since I don't know if my previous builds were just duds.
OK. Were your tests always failing on the same ram chip? or by chance were they always failing D31-D16?
Old 29 July 2017, 11:20   #1707
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

These are the just some of many issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-29 12.17.47.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	53911   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-29 12.17.05.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	53912   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-29 12.16.20.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	53913  
Old 29 July 2017, 11:45   #1708
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
These are the just some of many issues
DiagROM does not crash with RAM issues. Its always clock , CPU running too fast or bad soldering.
Old 29 July 2017, 12:24   #1709
EzdineG

Quote:
OK. Were your tests always failing on the same ram chip? or by chance were they always failing D31-D16?
I attached some images in an older post. Looks like it's random.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1213
Old 29 July 2017, 14:35   #1710
Stedy

Hi,

Can someone amend the DiagROM tests to do something a bit clever?

You need to know if the issues you are seeing are due to read, write or read/write failures of the RAM. A standard memory test writes a known value and expects to read that result, simples. Now the data could be written correctly but read out incorrectly, you'll never know.

To verify the read timing, read a RAM location, maybe 100 times. On the first read, store the random value, repeat the reads to the same location and see if the data read matches the first value. If it does, the problem is on the write cycle, if it does not, it is possibly the read cycle as well. Obviously change the timing of either cycle and repeat until results are good.

If using DRAM, you need to increment past page boundaries to ensure refreshes work and bank select signals work. It is also good, with DRAM, to write to some high order addresses, wait 5-10 minutes and then read the locations and validate the results.

The other tests, are to cool and heat the cards/devices. Try some freezer spray, this speeds up the timing by 10-20%, depending on the technologies. Likewise heating the card gently (to around 50-70C) will slow down the design by 10-20% compared to the nominal at 25C. This is a proven method to find some marginal timing issues, something I've done a lot the last few years.

The final test I do is use a buzzing relay to see how well the design copes with EMI. I have a bit of a reputation of finding faults with equipment.
Old 29 July 2017, 14:41   #1711
Stedy

Quote:
I have a partially completed riser on github in my breakout repo. Otherwise badger Ian Steadman or Kipper2k.

@kipper2k may be persuaded to open source his riser?
I have the keyboard firmware working on my CD32 riser now, needs some refinement over the weekend, then I can look at getting a prototype riser, with 2x MCA connectors manufactured shortly. It also has a minimig SCART connector and RS232/TTL serial.

There will be another riser card with 1xMCA and 1xPCI style connector for future accelerator cards. All variants will be open source.
Old 29 July 2017, 14:53   #1712
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Hi,

Can someone amend the DiagROM tests to do something a bit clever?

You need to know if the issues you are seeing are due to read, write or read/write failures of the RAM. A standard memory test writes a known value and expects to read that result, simples. Now the data could be written correctly but read out incorrectly, you'll never know.

To verify the read timing, read a RAM location, maybe 100 times. On the first read, store the random value, repeat the reads to the same location and see if the data read matches the first value. If it does, the problem is on the write cycle, if it does not, it is possibly the read cycle as well. Obviously change the timing of either cycle and repeat until results are good.

If using DRAM, you need to increment past page boundaries to ensure refreshes work and bank select signals work. It is also good, with DRAM, to write to some high order addresses, wait 5-10 minutes and then read the locations and validate the results.
No DRAM involved here. @Chucky may want to improve the tests?

Quote:

The other tests, are to cool and heat the cards/devices. Try some freezer spray, this speeds up the timing by 10-20%, depending on the technologies. Likewise heating the card gently (to around 50-70C) will slow down the design by 10-20% compared to the nominal at 25C. This is a proven method to find some marginal timing issues, something I've done a lot the last few years.

I have frozen with butane and put the heat gun on things my side. I'll be honest though i am not claiming bullet proof hardware. Just repeatable on the parts I spec. You cant really adjust the timing much on those CPLDs. I could possibly put more specs on the output pins. At the moment I have only spec'd the clocks. The RAM CPLD is optimised for size because of the SPI code in there. It may work better without it and optimise for speed.

Quote:
The final test I do is use a buzzing relay to see how well the design copes with EMI. I have a bit of a reputation of finding faults with equipment.
This is not something i'm supporting. I see these accelerators as something you'd use in a home environment for gaming. I've never found any Amiga reliable enough for anything else anyway.
Old 29 July 2017, 14:55   #1713
Mr.Flibble

Just a quick update, I built up one of the relocator boards - it's a touch tricky soldering around the socket overlap, but do-able with plenty of flux and going sparingly with the solder.

You might need to bend/resolder the cap at C816 otherwise it'll stop the board going into the cpu socket properly, but clearance looks good up to the big caps at the top of the board.

Just going to check clearance for closing the case now...

Edit: Looks good - keyboard is well clear, no issues closing the case - pics to follow.

Edit 2: Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	53916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	53917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	53918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	53919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	53920  

Last edited by Mr.Flibble; 29 July 2017 at 15:24.
Old 29 July 2017, 15:39   #1714
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
Just a quick update, I built up one of the relocator boards - it's a touch tricky soldering around the socket overlap, but do-able with plenty of flux and going sparingly with the solder.

Awesome, thanks!
Old 29 July 2017, 15:49   #1715
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Hi,

The other tests, are to cool and heat the cards/devices. Try some freezer spray, this speeds up the timing by 10-20%, depending on the technologies. Likewise heating the card gently (to around 50-70C) will slow down the design by 10-20% compared to the nominal at 25C. This is a proven method to find some marginal timing issues

Possibly anecdotal, but the ISSI RAM boards could loop Frontier's attract usually once at cold boot. After a few minutes of use they would immediately crash after loading and wouldn't revert to the previous behavior until cooled - and I'm not talking about overheating chips. We've already established it is most likely timing related, so these may just be slightly outside acceptable limits.
Old 29 July 2017, 15:56   #1716
plasmab
Banned

I noticed a possible problem on the Rev 3 firmware.. I've not got time to test it myself but here is a rev3 ram cpld jed for anyone wanting to try it out.

*removed because it was broken and i dont want to waste people's time*

SPI port is removed and its optimized for speed.

Last edited by plasmab; 29 July 2017 at 17:41.
Old 29 July 2017, 17:09   #1717
mattymuc

Thanks Stephen for the CPLD update. Because all of my Rev.3 are unstable I installed it on one and now, no FastMem is detected at all.
So with this CPLD update FastMem is disabled
Old 29 July 2017, 17:22   #1718
plasmab
Banned

Ok I'll have another look. I didn't test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 July 2017, 17:42   #1719
plasmab
Banned

Ok try this set.. i noticed that the source i used to build the jeds had a screwup in rev3 ucf files that might have caused the issues in timing we've seen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz872rv7kk...tf530.zip?dl=0
Old 29 July 2017, 19:21   #1720
mattymuc

Ok, the 2MB FastMem are back now. But I can't start to workbench from IDE or from Floppy. DiagRom now reports FastMem errors. I get different errors on each run. I did not had errors with the last firmware that had unstable IDE.
I will try another TF530 with the new firmware later.