English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2020, 22:35   #1
Echo Pox

Question What is this wire here for?

I have a bodge (spelling) wire on my A1200... what is it for? There is no damage to the board. I am assume it is a PCMCIA fix?

Old 06 September 2020, 22:59   #2
lesta_smsc

Maybe this sheds some light:

https://www.tsb.space/knowledge-base...rd-jump-wires/

Seems like it was how the board left the factory to help with cleaning CCK clock signal.
Old 07 September 2020, 00:19   #3
paul1981

My rev.1A board has that, well...it used to. I accidentally caught the wire with a hard drive or ribbon or something earlier this year and it snapped the pin clean off and flush with the chip edge. Not sure if I will be able to solder it back on. I'm thinking perhaps not. Mine is a blue wire.

The 1200 is dead without it - you just get a black screen and no boot.

I highly recommend extra glue, perhaps all over it to directly protect the pin and prevent the kind of accident that happened to me. Hot glue would melt I think so that is probably out of the question as some would have to touch chip edge.

Also, the metal shielding protects this too! Keep your metal shielding (if you can)!
Old 08 September 2020, 13:28   #4
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
My rev.1A board has that, well...it used to. I accidentally caught the wire with a hard drive or ribbon or something earlier this year and it snapped the pin clean off and flush with the chip edge. Not sure if I will be able to solder it back on. I'm thinking perhaps not. Mine is a blue wire.

The 1200 is dead without it - you just get a black screen and no boot.
Ouch! If you fancy the obvious risk of further damage, I've managed to recover chips with legs broken off flush with the casing before by carefully drilling away the casing in the area. The plastic is much larger than the die, so you've a bit of breathing room to expose some more metal and solder a makeshift pin. With removable chips, the risk is just to the chip's chances of recovery, but unless you're also removing Budgie, doing it in place carries the additional risk of the drill slipping and tearing up a few dozen traces...
Old 08 September 2020, 19:31   #5
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ouch! If you fancy the obvious risk of further damage, I've managed to recover chips with legs broken off flush with the casing before by carefully drilling away the casing in the area. The plastic is much larger than the die, so you've a bit of breathing room to expose some more metal and solder a makeshift pin. With removable chips, the risk is just to the chip's chances of recovery, but unless you're also removing Budgie, doing it in place carries the additional risk of the drill slipping and tearing up a few dozen traces...
Budgie has tiny bloody fine pins (of course) so I'm not sure whether any of it's doable really. Good idea though to drill it out a bit to expose more metal. Also, if I cock it up I could always replace the chip so it's worth a go that. Thanks for the advice! Not sure when I'll get around to it but it was my first Amiga so it does have a lot of sentimental value to me.
Old 08 September 2020, 20:38   #6
Mick

What revision is your board echo out of interest?