English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 29 April 2021, 17:27   #61
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
that's because it's way easier to add a parallax layer than redesigning all the graphics and possibly all memory layout and data format because of the extra bitplanes.

If you remove parallax crap (which can make a game unplayable ex Zool), a few games really got an AGA conversion actually
I am aware of this, like anybody who isn't completely dumb...

Also, I didn't especially talk about conversions to AGA.

What I mean is, I don't see many games that were or are using the palette in a way that shows the finer gradients that can be achieved with the extra bits used in the AGA colour spectrum.

This conversion does it, though.
And it looks gorgeous.
Old 29 April 2021, 18:03   #62
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If only the player sprite's head didn't look like a toaster, it would have been a fine conversion (the original DOS version I mean)

The movement animation bothers me a little, there is a noticeable hiccup in the frames like they're not correctly aligned - it makes it look like the dude is walking with a limp. I wonder if something can be done to smooth that out.
Old 30 April 2021, 00:10   #63
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
And you store entities that go out of view into the other 2-4 bins, right?

Once they go a certain distance off screen, they are deleted.
This appears to be what happens in the original game, apart from for Diamonds and Extra Lives, which re-spawn at their original positions (I've yet to implement that though).
Old 30 April 2021, 12:30   #64
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by steril707 View Post
is it? Why?
Because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzza View Post
it requires fast ram to run at 50hz on an a1200.
Old 01 May 2021, 12:45   #65
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Wow, this is totally fantastic! Back in the 90s I didn't really like the DOS version but today it looks really fresh! I hope you'll finish this project. This is what Factor 5 should have done for their Turrican Anthology instead of just bundling the old games.

Wildest dream: Create a CD32 version and use the tracks from the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology instead of the TFMX modules. That would be INSANE!!!
Old 01 May 2021, 17:00   #66
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If only the player sprite's head didn't look like a toaster, it would have been a fine conversion (the original DOS version I mean) [...]
You got it terribly right and with the best word to describe it. Turrican PC player's sprite looks like a toaster .
Anyway, @Muzza : thanks for you work . Looks really good so far !
Old 01 May 2021, 19:04   #67
Gzegzolka

It would be cool to have Turrican on cd32 with audio tracks, just look at AmigaRemix site, how many remixes are based on Turrican, and many of them are great
As for pc player sprite - I do not mind it, for me best one was from Turrican 3.
Old 01 May 2021, 22:44   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

I don't think we can steal Chris Hulbeck remix CDs to create a CD32 version. But that would be a cool project that I could undertake for the standard version.
Old 02 May 2021, 14:31   #69
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
It would be cool to have Turrican on cd32 with audio tracks, just look at AmigaRemix site, how many remixes are based on Turrican, and many of them are great
You don't have to look at AmigaRemix. Chris Huelsbeck has remade the complete soundtrack of Turrican I-III for the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology. Every little piece is included, including the loader music and so on! It's 100% complete and 100% high fidelity CD audio goodness, very faithful to the original!

The Turrican Soundtrack Anthology just screams for inclusion in a CD32 version of Turrican! But it's probably tough to do it for the original games because you can't play CD audio while loading data etc. So the whole game would have to be prebuffered in RAM or something but then it probably won't run on standard CD32s due to lack of memory.
Old 02 May 2021, 15:44   #70
Nobby_UK

040 from workbench works without music
Boot from disk = fine

But why not Multi-button ?
Old 02 May 2021, 15:52   #71
jotd
This cat is no more

mem issue probably

will whdload it
Old 03 May 2021, 21:32   #72
BigD

No joy with my 68060; stuck on grey screen. It works great on a 030 though! It needs to have CD32 joypad support IMHO with blue mapped to jump, yellow for energy bar attack and green for roll attack transformation. Great work though ;-)
Old 04 May 2021, 00:40   #73
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
No joy with my 68060; stuck on grey screen. It works great on a 030 though!

Can you share some more details about 060 machine setup please?
Old 04 May 2021, 02:59   #74
José

@Muzza
Don't know how tough it would be as I've never learned asm decently (only some C..) but couldn't you replace those background colors with copper lists ? I'm saying this because you seem to be using the whole unmodified data from the msdos version. With a copper list the background color changes could be even better/smoother while at the same time saving some a bitplane or two.
That's assuming the background on the msdos version is using the 256 color palete, which I have no idea but I think it is isn't it ?
Just an idea...
Old 04 May 2021, 03:13   #75
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by José View Post
@Muzza
Don't know how tough it would be as I've never learned asm decently (only some C..) but couldn't you replace those background colors with copper lists ? I'm saying this because you seem to be using the whole unmodified data from the msdos version. With a copper list the background color changes could be even better/smoother while at the same time saving some a bitplane or two.
That's assuming the background on the msdos version is using the 256 color palete, which I have no idea but I think it is isn't it ?
Just an idea...

The sky is a copper gradient. If you look carefully it moves independently from the foreground tiles like parallax.
The foreground tiles use about 90 colours. When you add the enemy sprites, it gets up to just under 128 colours, but I think the bosses push it over 128 colours.
I'm not including the colours for the player or the 'power line' effect as these use Hardware sprites.
I could probably trim it to 7 bitplanes (+an extra 32 colours for HW Sprites) without losing anything noticeable - at least on the first level.
Old 04 May 2021, 05:04   #76
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Exl did an excellent T2 level viewer
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51266
Old 05 May 2021, 13:36   #77
BigD

060 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Can you share some more details about 060 machine setup please?
An 060 Cyberstorm Mk1 with 120mb of fast ram on AGA/RTG machine. Loading from an actual floppy disk copied from the ADF file. The disk works on my 030 machine.
Old 06 May 2021, 00:52   #78
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
An 060 Cyberstorm Mk1 with 120mb of fast ram on AGA/RTG machine. Loading from an actual floppy disk copied from the ADF file. The disk works on my 030 machine.

Thanks. Do you get problems with many other games on this system, or just this one?

I set up a WinUAE config to 060, with a Cyberstorm Mk1 expansion ROM. The game ran on it, although the music occasionally sounded off for some reason.
If anyone knows of any common gotchas with 060s, or expansions like this one for system takeover games, I'd appreciate any ideas.
Old 06 May 2021, 08:41   #79
jotd
This cat is no more

Muzza this is a lot cause. Even TinyAbyss games (which have a very good startup/end wrapper) end up crashing on some configurations

There are so many differences that can exist (DTack, MMU zero page move, caches, graphical boards, network cards...)

Don't change anything, leave whdload do the work (once I adapted your first version, that is). I never play non-whdload games anyway
Old 06 May 2021, 08:54   #80
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Muzza this is a lot cause. Even TinyAbyss games (which have a very good startup/end wrapper) end up crashing on some configurations

There are so many differences that can exist (DTack, MMU zero page move, caches, graphical boards, network cards...)

Don't change anything, leave whdload do the work (once I adapted your first version, that is). I never play non-whdload games anyway
Thanks for your kind comments jotd Can you shed some light on the causes my Tiny games crash on some configs? I wanna learn what i do wrong!
I also noticed on the 'Amiga Bill' show my bob zoomer for "Wrong Way Driver" didn't work as intended on his machien. Cache issues? Can i disable caches easily on startup?