Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 29 February 2020, 16:00   #1741
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Of course we put pure vodka to it
Really ?
Morning time I would have thought about "hydromel" (honey-based drinks)
Old 02 March 2020, 14:26   #1742
mcgeezer

I've placed in the zone a review of Rygar from German magazine "Return".

If any of my kind German friends would be willing to translate it to English for me I would be most grateful.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 02 March 2020, 15:53   #1743
DamienD
Banned

Déjà vu

So again I cut out the main 6 text areas, printed to PDF and OCRd... here they are, just run though Goggle translate or something:

Quote:
Der Amigamunle whd seiner Bllltezelt mltUmsetzungen von Splelballen-Hltsausden80er iliiil 90er JahrenUberschllttet.Ulele davon warenmlthel&er Nadel gestrlckt und wederunterhaltsam zusplelennoch schftn anmscbauen. Ganz anders die aktuelle Portlenmg des Tecmo-Automaten Rggarvon 1986. Sle zelgt,masmachbar lstl

Blatt ern wir im Geschichtsbuchei nige Jahre zuruck, zur Mitte der 1980er Jahre. Wer damals die schonsten Vldeospielbilder undspan nendsten Hardwareinnovationen er leben wollte, der besuchte eine der Spielhallen in den Promenaden unse rer Stadte. Dort zeigten Sega, Nam co, Nintendo und weitere, vorwie gendin Japan beheimatete Hersteller auf spieleoptimierterTop•Hardware, wieGames-Entertainmentaussehen kann-vielschneller, bunter und lau teraIsaufzeitsenossischen Konsolen
und Heimcomputem.

Es warder feuchte Traum eines je den Gamers, Spielhallen -Tophits wie Ghosts'n Goblins,Space Harrier oder R Type daheim spielen zu konnen.Ergo witt l!!rt en Ocean, Activision, US Gold und viele weltere Softwarehersteller reicheBeute. Sie kauftenfur enorme Su mmen die offizielle Erlaubnis zur Umsetzung von Arcadehits fiir Com modore64undCo.- und vergeigten anschlie8end haufig die Portierung. well nach zahlung der lfzenz schnell Umsatz gemacht werden musste und nicht ausreichend Zeit und Geld fur eine qualitativ hochwertige Umset• zung ubrig blieb.Stolze Besitzer eines Amiga, die aufgrund der vergleichs weise starken Hardware auf weit ge· hend identische Adaptionen hoffen du rften, wurden besonders haufig entt auscht. Scheu8licheMutationen von RollingThunder,Street Fighter und Bionic Commando fur Commodore s 1:;-Bitt er bleiben unverziehen.

Ke hren wir, mit diesem Vorwissen gestarkt, ins Hier und Jetzt zu· ruck. Der Englander Graeme Co· wie nahm skh im Sommer 2018nkht mehr und nicht Weniger vor als eine
originalgetreuePortierung des1986er Tecmo-Arcadegames Rygar fi.ir sei· nen Amiga 1200 . Graeme konnte we• derauf die Kapitaldecke groBerSoft•

warehauser zuruckgreifen, noch auf einen Stab ausCodem, Grafikern und Musikern, Trotzdem entstand unter Cowies Regie in knapp anderthalb Jahren eine Amiga -Portie rung, die nur echte Kenner vom Original un terscheidenkonnen. Da ruckelt nichts und da zucktnlchts, da muss sich der Betrachter nicht mit einem verklei nerten Bildausschnitt begnugen oder zwischen Musik und Soundeffekten entscheiden. Kurz und gut: Unter flei Biger Mlthitfe von vier Mitgliedern aus dem englischen Communitytreff
.,English Amiga Board"-diezum Bei spiel die Originalgrafikextrahiert und fur den Amiga konvertiert haben - ist eine technisch hervorragende Spiel hallenumsetzungentstanden.

Heldder Welt ist ein gutgebauter Barbar namens Rygar. Mit einer Kreiselaxt bewaffnet marschiert er durch vorwiegend horizont al scrollende Gefilde, uberwindet
gelegentliche Lavaflusse mit sei- -.
ner Sprungkraft: und raumt anson s ten skurrile Kreaturen beiseit e: Aus
der Luft attackieren Oamone, n aus
dem Erdboden beiBen sich Riesen wurmer ins Freie und Nashorner trampeln mit Volldampf ins Bild. die sich erst nach mehreren Treffern in
einer Explosionswolke a uflosen.
Old 02 March 2020, 16:09   #1744
DamienD
Banned

Bah, I've done this for you... obviously Google tranlate isn't the best:

Quote:
The Amigamunle with its inflatable tent has been converted from split ball hilt from the 80s to the 90s. The current portfolios of the Tecmo machine Rygar from 1986 are quite different. Sle zelgt, masmachbar lstl

We go back a few years in the history books to the mid-1980s. Those who wanted to experience the most beautiful video game images and the most exciting hardware innovations back then could visit one of the arcades in the promenades of our cities. There Sega, Nam co, Nintendo and other manufacturers, mainly located in Japan, showed on games-optimized Top • Hardware, how games entertainment can look - much faster, more colorful and lau teraIsaufzeitsenischen consoles and home computers.

It was the wet dream of being able to play the gamers, arcade tophits like Ghosts'n Goblins, Space Harrier or R Type at home. Ergo witt l !! rt en Ocean, Activision, US Gold and many other software manufacturers were rich. They boughtfor enormous sums the official permission to implement arcade hits for Com modore64 and Co. - and then often vandalized the porting. After the payment of the license, sales had to be made quickly and there was not enough time and money left for a high-quality implementation. Proud owners of an Amiga who, due to the comparatively strong hardware, were hoping for largely identical adaptations especially often disappointed. Horrible mutations by RollingThunder, Street Fighter and Bionic Commando for Commodore s 1:; - Please remain undamaged.

With this prior knowledge, we turn back to the here and now. The British Graeme Co · how skh did more and not less than one in the summer of 2018 Original porting of the 1986 Tecmo arcade game Rygar for his Amiga 1200. Graeme could not • go to the capital cover grossSoft •

Warehauser fall back on a stick of code, graphic artists and musicians, nevertheless, under Cowie's direction, an Amiga porting was created in just under a year and a half that only real connoisseurs can distinguish from the original. Nothing jerks and twitches, the viewer does not have to be satisfied with a reduced image section or decide between music and sound effects. In a nutshell: Under the firm leadership of four members from the English community gathering ., English Amiga Board "- which, for example, extracted the original graphics and converted them for the Amiga - has resulted in a technically excellent game room implementation.

Hero of the World is a well-built barbarian named Rygar. Armed with a gyro ax, he marches through predominantly horizont al scrolling fields, overcomes occasional lava flows with sei- -. bounce: and otherwise clears out bizarre creatures: out attack the air Oamone, n out Giant worms bite outdoors and rhinos trample into the picture at full steam. which only changes after several hits an explosion cloud.
Old 02 March 2020, 17:14   #1745
mcgeezer

Nice one buddy....
A nice review here, very pleased.
Old 03 March 2020, 00:19   #1746
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Nice one buddy....
A nice review here, very pleased.
I do feel the same
Old 03 March 2020, 01:45   #1747
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Kudos for Richard doing a really in-depth review, compared to his short and boring Amiga Joker review a few month ago.
Old 13 March 2020, 01:02   #1748
DamienD
Banned

I thought I should post this; as it will bring a big smile to mcgeezer's face

I have a friend at work who had an Amiga 500 back in the day and has very fond memories. He also used to love playing Arcade games.

So I gave him my complete WinUAE collection and also MAME 0.200 a few months back; and he's in heaven.

I had been telling him for about a year that my friend Graeme was working hard on porting Rygar --> the Amiga.

He finally had the chance to play the finished Amiga game to completion and was absolutely blown away!!!

...he also couldn't believe that I received an uber rare "boxed" version

Definitely the best game of 2019; hands down!!!
Old 13 March 2020, 09:20   #1749
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I thought I should post this; as it will bring a big smile to mcgeezer's face

I have a friend at work who had an Amiga 500 back in the day and has very fond memories. He also used to love playing Arcade games.

So I gave him my complete WinUAE collection and also MAME 0.200 a few months back; and he's in heaven.

I had been telling him for about a year that my friend Graeme was working hard on porting Rygar --> the Amiga.

He finally had the chance to play the finished Amiga game to completion and was absolutely blown away!!!

...he also couldn't believe that I received an uber rare "boxed" version

Definitely the best game of 2019; hands down!!!
I aim to please mate and such an honour to get game of the year.

What is really pleasing is that there is an increase in the quality of games coming out for Amiga now, we still have a long way to go but things are on the up and up for the platform.

A smile is on my face.
Old 13 March 2020, 10:23   #1750
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Yep, i remember when I started Amiga dev in 2016, things looked very bleak compared to what we have now..

(I just wish, we had a few more genres covered, instead of only shooters and Jump'n Runs... )

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 13 March 2020 at 10:28.
Old 19 March 2020, 12:42   #1751
mcgeezer

This is the best thing I seen since Hybris, Blood Money and Shadow of the Beast.

[ Show youtube player ]

More music video's should be like this and nice to hear no auto-tune.
Old 24 May 2020, 09:39   #1752
scifi
Resurrected...

Congratulations for your tremendous effort to resurrect such a wonderful game!
The Amiga scene, due to people like you (and of course, our beloved community of EAB) is still alive and kicking for over 30 years! That's incredible, isn't it?
Old 24 May 2020, 12:46   #1753
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi View Post
Congratulations for your tremendous effort to resurrect such a wonderful game!
The Amiga scene, due to people like you (and of course, our beloved community of EAB) is still alive and kicking for over 30 years! That's incredible, isn't it?
Thanks for the nice feedback. The Amiga scene is certainly improving with the quality of games that are coming out and it seems more people are getting being attracted to the platform to develop on.

On another note I did peek back into the classic ST scene recently and that looks like it's flat-lined - which I think is a bit of a shame.
Old 29 May 2020, 23:19   #1754
mcgeezer

So I thought I'd do a video to reboot my Amiga Game Dev series...

I know some you like this sort of stuff so here it is...

Done with a combination of an Amiga, Sketchup, Paint.net and Davinci Resolve (I still can't believe it is free).

Enjoy. Geezer

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 May 2020, 19:19   #1755
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
So I thought I'd do a video to reboot my Amiga Game Dev series...

I know some you like this sort of stuff so here it is...

Done with a combination of an Amiga, Sketchup, Paint.net and Davinci Resolve (I still can't believe it is free).

Enjoy. Geezer

[ Show youtube player ]
Very Cool !!!
Old 30 May 2020, 20:58   #1756
Reido

Great video. Wish I could code
Old 31 May 2020, 01:06   #1757
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Cool intro video !
Old 31 May 2020, 02:17   #1758
Nightshft