English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 28 February 2019, 10:01   #61
Reido

Great stuff, congrats and looking forward to trying out later!
Old 02 March 2019, 15:48   #62
phx
Natteravn

That's something completey different, and the only finished project in the contest. Congratulations!

I'm probably too bad/old to play it properly. In the video it looks so easy, but I cannot change between the tracks quickly enough.

On my test system (A1200, ACA1230) I saw a small glitch: the Amiga ball sprite got corrupted. Maybe an AGA problem? Did you switch off AGA properly?
Old 02 March 2019, 16:46   #63
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
That's something completey different, and the only finished project in the contest. Congratulations!

I'm probably too bad/old to play it properly. In the video it looks so easy, but I cannot change between the tracks quickly enough.
Does it feel like too little mouse sensitivity or just a fast paced game? If the latter then working as intended.

I did most development with a USB mouse which has higher sensitivity. I later tested with an Amiga Technologies mouse which has lower sensitivity but felt it still played fine on the harder tracks. Seemed a good balance between the two.

Quote:
On my test system (A1200, ACA1230) I saw a small glitch: the Amiga ball sprite got corrupted. Maybe an AGA problem? Did you switch off AGA properly?
Oh no! I tested on my A1200 + Microbotics 030 and it ran fine. Perhaps there's a difference in our Workbench setup.

I've added FMODE and BPLCON4 to the copperlist, perhaps one of those is the issue. Could you try again? https://amigageek.com/modsurfer/modsurfer.lha (Aminet is down so I can't update there right now.)

Thanks for testing.
Old 02 March 2019, 17:55   #64
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
Does it feel like too little mouse sensitivity or just a fast paced game? If the latter then working as intended.
No. It's the latter. Then everything is fine, I guess.

Quote:
Oh no! I tested on my A1200 + Microbotics 030 and it ran fine. Perhaps there's a difference in our Workbench setup.
You never saw that? Then it's a very rare problem. Because now I cannot reproduce it either. I started the game a dozen times, but the bug didn't reappear.

I guess that's probably not what you want to hear.

Quote:
I've added FMODE and BPLCON4 to the copperlist, perhaps one of those is the issue.
Can't hurt.

Quote:
Could you try again?
Yes, tried it. Works fine. But your old version did too, except once...
Old 02 March 2019, 18:38   #65
arcanist

Quote:
No. It's the latter. Then everything is fine, I guess.
I front-loaded the MOD pack with faster tracks but there are a few slower ones in there too. Most MODs in the wild are slower than these.

Quote:
You never saw that? Then it's a very rare problem. Because now I cannot reproduce it either. I started the game a dozen times, but the bug didn't reappear.

I guess that's probably not what you want to hear.
I work in software dev, I'm used to it.

That's a new one to me. Out of a lot of testing (admittedly mostly in FS-UAE) the only sprite issue I saw was when I first tested on a real Amiga and had forgotten to program BPLCON3.SPRES. The ball looked twice as tall and split into two pieces.

Thanks for testing!
Old 03 March 2019, 21:54   #66
MikeyG

Well done arcanist, great submission. I like how you can select your own mod tracks and see how well they play. Will have to dig out all my old mods now. Great implementation.
Old 15 March 2019, 23:14   #67
Nightshft

Very nice game arcanist!
Apart from a good idea and implementation I like the rock solid stabilty it has. Runs fine on my A1200 (4MB Fast, 28Mhz) and on my A500. From WB and from Disk. Never crashed (here) and always possible to cleanly exit to WB.

Mouse control works fine here (Logitech BT Mouse via USB Adapter) but I also like to play it with a Joystick (Suzo Arcade).

I tried some of my mod tracks and put the best in a zip file. It's in the zone. Have fun!
Old 16 March 2019, 03:17   #68
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Very nice game arcanist!
Apart from a good idea and implementation I like the rock solid stabilty it has. Runs fine on my A1200 (4MB Fast, 28Mhz) and on my A500. From WB and from Disk. Never crashed (here) and always possible to cleanly exit to WB.

Mouse control works fine here (Logitech BT Mouse via USB Adapter) but I also like to play it with a Joystick (Suzo Arcade).

I tried some of my mod tracks and put the best in a zip file. It's in the zone. Have fun!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was watching AmigaBill stream the game on Twitch on Monday. Seeing the viewers enjoying MODs as more than background music was exactly what I hoped for. As Bill rightly said the game is all about the music. The visuals and gameplay are just there to draw you into the world of Amiga's talented musicians.
Old 30 March 2019, 14:10   #69
john4p
Competition Moderator

Nice game. Very interesting to see what tracks are generated from the MODs. Like phx my reactions are too slow to be proficient at it though.

Implementation seems flawless to me.