English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 October 2021, 09:51   #1
ahandyman59

Miami DX - Shows Connected but no UI

This is my first attempt at connecting an Amiga to the internet. My setup is as follows:
Amiga A4000D (68060)
ZZ9000 V3 Card
1280x768 65536 colors
ZZ9000Net.device in place
Picasso96 3.12 and zz9000 drivers installed
280ish megs ram
32gb CF hard disk.
AmigaOS3.2 with icon pack
ClassicWB installed (latest version)
MUI 3.8 Registered version

ClassicWB installed MiamiDX. I loaded it and manually went through the setup and eventually it said the network card is on line with eth2. I clicked on the "button" that showed Onl-GUI, but no GUI is being displayed. It references a hot key to bring it up "Control Alt M", but nothing is displayed when this hotkey combination is displayed.

Has anyone successfully set up a ZZ9000 with MiamiDX?

Also, since this company seems to be gone, is there a key file available for it?
Old 15 October 2021, 10:01   #2
thomas

Not sure, but I think the online GUI is an optional external plugin. IIRC there are several on Aminet which you can install. I vaguely remember something called "yellow panel" or so which I tried in the past. In the far past.
Old 15 October 2021, 10:29   #3
ahandyman59

Thank you. I was starting to wonder if this MiamiDX was just the tcp stack and nothing more. All the things we take completely for granted with PCs these days... More research now...

If anyone has specifics as to what ui to use and how to set it up, please jump in. All replies welcome...
Old 15 October 2021, 10:45   #4
ahandyman59

I think I'm getting it. All the pieces necessary to get MiamiDX installed, just set up the computer to handle tcpip communication. The "browser app" is something like iBrowse, etc...
Old 15 October 2021, 11:45   #5
ahandyman59

Wow! What a ride! I was able to get it all set up. Users of PCs, phones, windows, AppleOS, linux and other devices and OS' are all pretty spoiled. Each piece has to be set up and configured precisely, before the entire chain will work. In my case, I used MiamiDX for the TCP stack, then iBrowse for the web browser. The NIC is a ZZ9000Net.device. The final piece was the DNS server from my local ISP.

This machine is fast for an Amiga, but I do wonder how much of a difference it would be if I sprung for one of the full MC68060RC50 processors and all the appropriate libraries...
Old 15 October 2021, 11:56   #6
daxb

Yes, there were several GUI panels for MiamiDX. I used http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/gelbesPanel

As far as I can remember Miami comes with a basic panel. Maybe you just need to activate it in the preferences.
Old 15 October 2021, 21:49   #7
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahandyman59 View Post
Wow! What a ride! I was able to get it all set up. Users of PCs, phones, windows, AppleOS, linux and other devices and OS' are all pretty spoiled. Each piece has to be set up and configured precisely, before the entire chain will work. In my case, I used MiamiDX for the TCP stack, then iBrowse for the web browser. The NIC is a ZZ9000Net.device. The final piece was the DNS server from my local ISP.

This machine is fast for an Amiga, but I do wonder how much of a difference it would be if I sprung for one of the full MC68060RC50 processors and all the appropriate libraries...
Used to use Miami DX (Key can be obtained by Google search). Have now bought Roadshow which starts up when my Amiga starts up. Both Miami and Roadshow can be configured to use DHCP. For Miami I found using the older configure wizard better than using the settings in the Miami itself. Then you can open up the v3 settings file you populated into DX and save it.

Oh and I run Ibrowse 2.5.5 on 040 and 060 CPU setups and yes this makes a great improvement as well using RTG graphics.