English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 September 2021, 12:25   #61
Daedalus

Round and round and round it goes;
Where it stops, no one knows.

Individual Computers undertake contract work. Why don't you contact them to get them to build what you want? Expect to pay tens of thousands of Euro, but you're right - nothing's impossible. So knock yourself out.
Old 14 September 2021, 15:06   #62
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Round and round and round it goes;
Where it stops, no one knows.

Individual Computers undertake contract work. Why don't you contact them to get them to build what you want? Expect to pay tens of thousands of Euro, but you're right - nothing's impossible. So knock yourself out.
At this point, they appear to have plenty of interesting things in the kitchen already. A1200 Reloaded will apparently have RTG modes support for example, so that addresses this ask in a lovely way.

I have this sneaky feeling that Indivision MK4 may add P96 RTG support.
Old 14 September 2021, 18:11   #63
Daedalus

Well, what you should do is badger IComp about the RTG requirements of those two projects, and see how many of your emails go unanswered before you judge them the same as you do the Warp guys. They're right up your street too - the Reloaded was announced many years ago and has yet to be seen in the wild, and the Indivision Mk3 has only just been released, so the Mk4 is a few years away yet.

Whether either of them provide any sort of significant RTG solution is pure speculation anyway...
Old 14 September 2021, 19:52   #64
Chucky

please take a close look of the case. and a zorrocard. NO there are no space. you might be able to do some kind of OWN port and OWN addon. buut then it would not be zorro

Last edited by Chucky; 14 September 2021 at 20:28.
Old 15 September 2021, 02:16   #65
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
please take a close look of the case. and a zorrocard. NO there are no space. you might be able to do some kind of OWN port and OWN addon. buut then it would not be zorro
Chucky, we believe in you, you can do it!
Look at how small Matzes Picasso II++ is. You can just make the case bigger if you have to, I'll approve that too.
Old 15 September 2021, 03:31   #66
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I used to be in the RTG camp, my A3000 had a Picasso II card and then later I upgraded my A1200 with a Cyber Vision card. My main use was for doing graphics and music, however I found that the HAM modes were still great for viewing my raytraced graphics and when doing 2D graphics I found Brilliance to be the best and it worked very nicely with the AGA graphics. I don`t spend too much time in Workbench, mostly in Brilliance, Lightwave etc so having a high resolution WB was not much of a deal, while it is nice the kind of apps I were using did not take advantage of the extra colours and resolution. Software like Opal Paint or Image FX could be useful with the RTG graphics but I have to say after having two Amiga`s with graphics cards, I felt that the AGA chipset with and Indivision takes the best advantage of the software that is on the Amiga. Though I used to love reading the articles in Amiga World about the latest graphic cards
Old 15 September 2021, 05:04   #67
grelbfarlk

Thankfully we don't have to make a choice between either or since Chucky will add this Zorro slot to the A1200 and the TF1260+RTG combination will not have to put up with the luxury and smugness of A2000 owners. And I can only assume Chucky will find a way to mount a Buster-11 on his RTG adapter to gain Z3 speeds as well. Chucky make sure you can still mount a Rapidroad on the clockport so they can have USB too. Again if you need to make the case a little taller, go ahead, it's approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
I used to be in the RTG camp, my A3000 had a Picasso II card and then later I upgraded my A1200 with a Cyber Vision card. My main use was for doing graphics and music, however I found that the HAM modes were still great for viewing my raytraced graphics and when doing 2D graphics I found Brilliance to be the best and it worked very nicely with the AGA graphics. I don`t spend too much time in Workbench, mostly in Brilliance, Lightwave etc so having a high resolution WB was not much of a deal, while it is nice the kind of apps I were using did not take advantage of the extra colours and resolution. Software like Opal Paint or Image FX could be useful with the RTG graphics but I have to say after having two Amiga`s with graphics cards, I felt that the AGA chipset with and Indivision takes the best advantage of the software that is on the Amiga. Though I used to love reading the articles in Amiga World about the latest graphic cards

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 15 September 2021 at 05:22.
Old 15 September 2021, 23:27   #68
johnnybarker

I think Chucky's new improved a1200 case would look nice with a zorro III balcony to support even the most hefty of RTG cards. Perhaps there could also be a budget model with a zorro II mezzanine level.
Old 16 September 2021, 03:14   #69
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybarker View Post
I think Chucky's new improved a1200 case would look nice with a zorro III balcony to support even the most hefty of RTG cards. Perhaps there could also be a budget model with a zorro II mezzanine level.

That's not a bad idea, but Chucky's a busy man if he just wants to make an A1200 busboard for the A1500 case that would be fine too. Also whether he's going to make a Zorro interface or adapt the Prometheus design for the A1200, I think he should do the latter.
Old 16 September 2021, 18:57   #70
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Thankfully we don't have to make a choice between either or since Chucky will add this Zorro slot to the A1200 and the TF1260+RTG combination will not have to put up with the luxury and smugness of A2000 owners. And I can only assume Chucky will find a way to mount a Buster-11 on his RTG adapter to gain Z3 speeds as well. Chucky make sure you can still mount a Rapidroad on the clockport so they can have USB too. Again if you need to make the case a little taller, go ahead, it's approved.
Sweet mercy, are you saying A1200.net should get involved and do a case-top tweak to allow a Zorro Card? In essence re-styling the 1200? Hmmmmm.....
Old 17 September 2021, 04:35   #71
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Sweet mercy, are you saying A1200.net should get involved and do a case-top tweak to allow a Zorro Card? In essence re-styling the 1200? Hmmmmm.....
Yeah like Chucky was thinking of the PicassoIV in the A1200 case-preposterous. However just a little taller and it could work and they need to add the second 3 1/2" bay to the other side of the A1200 like he promised to get backers.

Oh so Chucky you should also figure adding an AGA video slot to your design too. But maybe do the Checkmate A1500 version first.
Old 17 September 2021, 10:32   #72
Chucky

or just.. NO
Old 17 September 2021, 11:30   #73
kriz

Get a vampire to get RTG in a desktop A1200
Old 17 September 2021, 18:42   #74
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Well, what you should do is badger IComp about the RTG requirements of those two projects, and see how many of your emails go unanswered before you judge them the same as you do the Warp guys. They're right up your street too - the Reloaded was announced many years ago and has yet to be seen in the wild, and the Indivision Mk3 has only just been released, so the Mk4 is a few years away yet.

Whether either of them provide any sort of significant RTG solution is pure speculation anyway...
Here is an egg, you can put it on your face.

Not only does iComp have a detailed page, a forum that's monitored and questions answered, but when I asked about it with my last order all questions were answered within hours, detailed explanation provided, some additional timeline challenges explained and assurance that the aim is to deliver on quality for the project.

While this certainly doesn't change things and make things arrive quicker, it shows the open and honest communication, instead of just going silent and ignoring those who try to support your work and projects.

I would say to you that you should not compare iComp to anyone, because my experience has been incredible with the product, service, support, etc. They stand alone, without doubt.

What all others should strive for is to deliver that level of transparency and communication to the community. Certainly those WAPR1260 boys don't even come close. And they had a moment where I was hot for the product and willing to give them my money, but that moment has long long passed. And with that time passing a realization that 68060 is quite unnecessary to enjoy the Amiga.
Old 17 September 2021, 18:52   #75
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Yeah like Chucky was thinking of the PicassoIV in the A1200 case-preposterous. However just a little taller and it could work and they need to add the second 3 1/2" bay to the other side of the A1200 like he promised to get backers.

Oh so Chucky you should also figure adding an AGA video slot to your design too. But maybe do the Checkmate A1500 version first.
Yes, the Checkmate A1500 use case is clearly one that makes sense for this idea. I've shared the A1200 Zorro card idea with the creator of UnAmiga as I ordered my UnAmiga, and while I cannot and am not speaking on his behalf, and I'm sure he's busy with many things, the idea appears to have been noted based on feedback.

Of course Edu works closely with Stephen on various projects, so who knows? I have a Checkmate A1500 as well, and would certainly put in a Zorro slot for an RTG card in there, no doubt. There is room to spare for an interconnected in the A1500, but the Zorro and accelerator would have to be installed before being put in the A1500. However, it appears doable, and of course we have the benefit of elevation of accelerator in the case, as there is room.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 17 September 2021 at 18:58.
Old 17 September 2021, 18:53   #76
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Get a vampire to get RTG in a desktop A1200
Trying to stay true 68K here, not FPGA. Also, all modes through one input ideally, like Amiga video cards allowed by having the "through".
Old 17 September 2021, 20:40   #77
Daedalus

Quote:
Here is an egg, you can put it on your face.
Oh dear, you're a special one...

Quote:
Not only does iComp have a detailed page, a forum that's monitored and questions answered, but when I asked about it with my last order all questions were answered within hours, detailed explanation provided, some additional timeline challenges explained and assurance that the aim is to deliver on quality for the project.
So, where has this wonder product been demonstrated? Have any public testers shown what it can do?

Anyway, let's compare like with like before jumping to your own remarkable conclusions, shall we? The information regarding the Warp that was available was already shared in many public forums, and was repeatedly pointed out to you. Yet you kept on hassling and complaining. Try asking the same question again every couple of weeks and see if you still get the same response. And don't forget, IComp is Jens' full-time job, so he has the time to field many questions. The Warp guys have separate, full-time day jobs, so don't have the time to answer questions for which the answers are either already publicly known, or cannot be answered.

Jens is a talented engineer, but doesn't suffer fools gladly. Start hassling him and complaining about him the same way as you do the Warp guys and you won't be long seeing the communications dry up.

So, with that in mind, you'll see I'm actually still far closer to the mark than you realise, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
While this certainly doesn't change things and make things arrive quicker, it shows the open and honest communication, instead of just going silent and ignoring those who try to support your work and projects.
See above.

Quote:
I would say to you that you should not compare iComp to anyone, because my experience has been incredible with the product, service, support, etc. They stand alone, without doubt.
Again, see above. Comparisons such as yours are totally pointless and invalid because of the significant differences between the operations, and your clear bias by not subjecting them both to the same conditions.

Quote:
What all others should strive for is to deliver that level of transparency and communication to the community. Certainly those WAPR1260 boys don't even come close. And they had a moment where I was hot for the product and willing to give them my money, but that moment has long long passed. And with that time passing a realization that 68060 is quite unnecessary to enjoy the Amiga.
I thought you didn't care about the Warp accelerator any more? It seems that it's secretly eating away at you that you don't have one, when it's the precise solution you want. So, tell me all about your hobbies then. Why aren't you working harder on them? I really like what you're doing, but your lack of communication is ruining them for me, and I think you're just wasting your time with them.

Quote:
Of course Edu works closely with Stephen on various projects, so who knows?
Many people work closely with Stephen...

Quote:
I have a Checkmate A1500 as well, and would certainly put in a Zorro slot for an RTG card in there, no doubt. There is room to spare for an interconnected in the A1500, but the Zorro and accelerator would have to be installed before being put in the A1500.
That depends on the accelerator. Full length accelerators already need to be fitted to the motherboard to fit in the case, so there is most certainly not room for any sort of Zorro adaptor. You'll need a shorter accelerator to do that.
Old 18 September 2021, 03:31   #78
grelbfarlk

Quote:

Anyway, let's compare like with like before jumping to your own remarkable conclusions, shall we? The information regarding the Warp that was available was already shared in many public forums, and was repeatedly pointed out to you. Yet you kept on hassling and complaining. Try asking the same question again every couple of weeks and see if you still get the same response. And don't forget, IComp is Jens' full-time job, so he has the time to field many questions. The Warp guys have separate, full-time day jobs, so don't have the time to answer questions for which the answers are either already publicly known, or cannot be answered.

That depends on the accelerator. Full length accelerators already need to be fitted to the motherboard to fit in the case, so there is most certainly not room for any sort of Zorro adaptor. You'll need a shorter accelerator to do that.
IComp makes some good stuff, I almost bought an X-Surf-100 and a Rapidroad until all of those people mentioned that it self destructed when plugging in a USB stick.

This is why Chucky had the idea to build the Zorro busboard by piggybacking off of the custom chips rather than the Accelerator spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
or just.. NO
Don't worry, the project is fully approved, also we believe in you.
Old 18 September 2021, 21:34   #79
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:

So, where has this wonder product been demonstrated? Have any public testers shown what it can do?

Jens is a talented engineer, but doesn't suffer fools gladly. Start hassling him and complaining about him the same way as you do the Warp guys and you won't be long seeing the communications dry up.

So, with that in mind, you'll see I'm actually still far closer to the mark than you realise, whether you like it or not.

See above.

Again, see above. Comparisons such as yours are totally pointless and invalid because of the significant differences between the operations, and your clear bias by not subjecting them both to the same conditions.

I thought you didn't care about the Warp accelerator any more? It seems that it's secretly eating away at you that you don't have one, when it's the precise solution you want. So, tell me all about your hobbies then. Why aren't you working harder on them? I really like what you're doing, but your lack of communication is ruining them for me, and I think you're just wasting your time with them.

Many people work closely with Stephen...

What are you on about? Give it up already if you don't know what you're talking about.

I sent TWO emails, with 2 sentences each. (Would like to buy WARP1260, top configuration, please provide total with shipping to Canada and payment method.), to the website provided email, which apparently there was no interest to answer.

What are you on about with iComp about "hassling him and complaining" you assumed occurred? Didn't I state repeatedly that my experience on all transactions and interactions/questions/requests has been fantastic with iComp?

And you are wrong it appears, as Jens noted in one email about the Reloaded 1200 that iComp is not his full time activity by any means. If so, if he can achieve that level of professionalism on product he does for fun, it only makes others like WARP1260 look even more incompetent.

It's been about a year since I noted my poor experience with the WARP1260 team. Where can I click and purchase one, if I so desired? Oh...I see. That's what I thought.

Is my standard of wanting information on the website or response to email asking to buy the product they are apparently selling too much to expect? If this is what I'm getting asking to buy it, just imagine what one gets trying to get support if it turns out to be a flaky product!

Fully over 68060 on the Amiga. Totally useless for what I use my Amiga for, when I use it. MacBook Air money for an Amiga accelerator? I hardly see why any Amiga user would't be happy with A1200 at 68030. It is more than sufficient, unless you have some inferiority complex in SysInfo - seems to be the ultimate goal for most. Pay top end GPU money to play some low res Doom port? Honestly - in what world? There are logical limits to everything.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 18 September 2021 at 21:47.
Old 18 September 2021, 21:42   #80
Chucky

well you need to understand that there are a extreme chipshortage in the world so you CAN'T just click and buy. and also for the Warp you need to send them a cpu..

while for the ACA. you cannot click and buy one either as of some reason it is not released.. to be honest he is getting late to the show. sure he got some cpus. but he need to deliver something. also he needs to be cheaper than Warp1260 as the warp got way more functions than the ACA. but he must outshine the TF1260 aswell so he will have issues with the pricing. but. well the ACA is the only of those 3 cards that haven't been released. not even a protoype shown running.