English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 27 January 2021, 20:04   #61
crazyc

Well, it all works on my checkmate but my tower seem a bit weird. It checks the update and opens the browser, but then has a dns error. I think there is an issue with my tower setup to investigate, but I don't use it often now.
Old 27 January 2021, 22:14   #62
rabidgerry

That is odd, but I don't get the DNS error. Miami doesn't recognise my DNS servers anyways. I get an error about that every time I connect but it gets me online just fine.
Old 31 January 2021, 21:36   #63
crazyc

Well I may have to start my own thread now as looking into all of this has thrown up an issue with my tower that I didn't realise I had - perhaps because I rarely actually upgraded slaves using this.
The checkmate a1200 all works as should.
In the tower, running the same version of Roadshow, WHDLOAD and open URL, with the same settings for Roadshow, WHDLOAD and Openurl using the same commands doesnt work. It calls Ibrowse and either comes up with a DNS error when loading the page, or when subsequently trying to download the file.

If I go to the same page before running whdload (ie with the same network settings etc) - it all works.

The only difference between the two systems that I am aware of is that the tower uses a fast ethernet pci card and the checkmate uses a PCMCIA LAN card. I have looked up the net interfaces and apart from the reference to the relevant device, they are the same.
For some reason, running the NetShutdown command on the tower breaks something that the WHDLOAD cleanup file cant fix. The cleanup file though uses the same command to start the network that is in my userstartup?
And this issue doesn't exist on the checkmate, so it must be something to do with the mediator/pci network card?

Dammit. I was just supposed to be helping a mate out not discovering I had a problem to solve on my own system

Any luck with your setup Gerry?
Old 01 February 2021, 00:12   #64
Wepl

WHDLoad disables/enables the Mediator interrupts on switching the system off/on. Maybe it has something to do with it (although I never had any reports concerning this).
Is the web page open working on the first whdload splash window start after a reboot? At this time WHDLoad has not yet disabled the Mediator interrupts the first time.
Old 01 February 2021, 09:45   #65
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
WHDLoad disables/enables the Mediator interrupts on switching the system off/on. Maybe it has something to do with it (although I never had any reports concerning this).

Is the web page open working on the first whdload splash window start after a reboot? At this time WHDLoad has not yet disabled the Mediator interrupts the first time.
With apologies to gerry for slightly hijacking the thread...
I boot up and roadshow is started via my startup. I can go to the whdload site via ibrowse and all works as it should.
I then close ibrowse and run igame, choosing badlands as an example game as I know my slave needs updating, and the whdload splash window comes up telling me exactly that.
I click update slave, and it opens ibrowse on the badlands page.
If I click to download the new install package it says host lookup failed, no dns entry found.
If I navigate back to the main installs page it works but if I then choose any page I have not previously visited I get the same error message.
So I start the game then quit out.
Now I go to ibrowse directly but have the same issue still. Only pages previously visited are available and no downloads.
Roadie suggests i am not connected (at least not fully- no local host address or default gateway) and so I reconnect using roadie.

Full functionality is restored.
Old 01 February 2021, 23:43   #66
Wepl

This sounds to me as not WHDLoad causing a problem but stopping the network and starting it again does not work reliable. You could verify this by executing
Execute S:WHDLoad-Startup
Execute S:WHDLoad-Cleanup
after a fresh boot and checking if the network is fully working afterwards.
Maybe the network card is not properly initialized after stopping/starting the tcpip-stack?
Old 02 February 2021, 09:38   #67
crazyc

Having tried that now you are of course correct- thanks.
I just need to work out how to restart the network card properly...
Old 02 February 2021, 12:22   #68
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Well I may have to start my own thread now as looking into all of this has thrown up an issue with my tower that I didn't realise I had - perhaps because I rarely actually upgraded slaves using this.
The checkmate a1200 all works as should.
In the tower, running the same version of Roadshow, WHDLOAD and open URL, with the same settings for Roadshow, WHDLOAD and Openurl using the same commands doesnt work. It calls Ibrowse and either comes up with a DNS error when loading the page, or when subsequently trying to download the file.

If I go to the same page before running whdload (ie with the same network settings etc) - it all works.

The only difference between the two systems that I am aware of is that the tower uses a fast ethernet pci card and the checkmate uses a PCMCIA LAN card. I have looked up the net interfaces and apart from the reference to the relevant device, they are the same.
For some reason, running the NetShutdown command on the tower breaks something that the WHDLOAD cleanup file cant fix. The cleanup file though uses the same command to start the network that is in my userstartup?
And this issue doesn't exist on the checkmate, so it must be something to do with the mediator/pci network card?

Dammit. I was just supposed to be helping a mate out not discovering I had a problem to solve on my own system

Any luck with your setup Gerry?

No no luck. The last thing I had to report was clicking on a game

(wirelss network manager loaded from boot up and Miami is already on started manually by me)

WHDload update splash screen appears

I then click update

My browser opens

It brings me to Browser home page and not the URL dedicated to the new slave

I close browser

click "start", game loads and can be played

I close game

Wireless network manager starts and then Miami and then I go back online

I have since disabled everything since having the new issue with the S directory and Street Fighter 2 slave upgrade issue over on another thread.

I can also browse to WHDload website myself and access the slaves, just can't get it to open automatically for me using the WHDstart-up

Last edited by rabidgerry; 02 February 2021 at 12:28.
Old 02 February 2021, 12:40   #69
crazyc

See thats odd as in my often ignorant thinking that is to do with openurl.
Do me a quick favour, go into the openurl prefs and screenshot the "about" info. I did have an issue with differing versions that I fixed.
Old 02 February 2021, 17:04   #70
rabidgerry

Pardon my stupidity here but "About" info? I dunno where that is?

Old 02 February 2021, 17:35   #71
crazyc

Right click where my mouse pointer is and choose project then about.
Old 02 February 2021, 18:16   #72
rabidgerry

here you go

Old 02 February 2021, 18:33   #73
crazyc

Ok is the same as mine so scrub that idea....
Old 02 February 2021, 18:39   #74
crazyc

Coud also try:
In the misc tab untick the open url in new client window option
Old 02 February 2021, 19:20   #75
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Coud also try:
In the misc tab untick the open url in new client window option
Unticked and still not working the bastard!!
Old 04 February 2021, 23:18   #76
paul1981

I tried this today for you and my situation is different because I start my network up manually when I desire and not automatically from user-startup. I use Roadshow and Wirelessmanager with a wireless network card in the PCMCIA slot.

Anyway, I had an error message from IBrowse saying host look up failed or whatever (no network connection basically) and it was because after clicking on the game, the network was being shut down via the S:WHDLoad-Startup and not started up again via the S:WHDLoad-Cleanup (I didn't use it because I always started it manually when I like to). You see, if that latter script isn't correct for your particular setup then it won't restart your network connection and hence it can't take you to the correct page. If anyone says it takes them to the WHDLoad website, but not the correct page then I think you'll find it's just displaying the website from the disk cache and in reality no network connection is even present, but IBrowse isn't reporting it. Try clearing all disk/memory cache from IBrowse.

So anyway, I edited the WHDLoad-Cleanup to uncomment the Wirelessmanager and Roadshow bits and all was well, I get taken to the slave page where I can download the latest slave available.

Wepl: Why is it so that the slave is still loaded into memory or that the memory is not released when the splash says an update is available? I can be left with as little as 512K of Chipram left or even worse (depending on the slave I presume) and in a bad case there would not be enough Chipram to open IBrowse which I think happened to me last year or year before and that was when I decided against using this feature.

rabidgerry: When you said that you get taken to the IBrowse home screen after clicking the update button, are you actually able to go to other websites and verify that 'right there and then' there is a network connection? Clear all IBrowse caches first obviously.
Old 05 February 2021, 12:04   #77
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I tried this today for you and my situation is different because I start my network up manually when I desire and not automatically from user-startup. I use Roadshow and Wirelessmanager with a wireless network card in the PCMCIA slot.

Anyway, I had an error message from IBrowse saying host look up failed or whatever (no network connection basically) and it was because after clicking on the game, the network was being shut down via the S:WHDLoad-Startup and not started up again via the S:WHDLoad-Cleanup (I didn't use it because I always started it manually when I like to). You see, if that latter script isn't correct for your particular setup then it won't restart your network connection and hence it can't take you to the correct page. If anyone says it takes them to the WHDLoad website, but not the correct page then I think you'll find it's just displaying the website from the disk cache and in reality no network connection is even present, but IBrowse isn't reporting it. Try clearing all disk/memory cache from IBrowse.

So anyway, I edited the WHDLoad-Cleanup to uncomment the Wirelessmanager and Roadshow bits and all was well, I get taken to the slave page where I can download the latest slave available.

Wepl: Why is it so that the slave is still loaded into memory or that the memory is not released when the splash says an update is available? I can be left with as little as 512K of Chipram left or even worse (depending on the slave I presume) and in a bad case there would not be enough Chipram to open IBrowse which I think happened to me last year or year before and that was when I decided against using this feature.

rabidgerry: When you said that you get taken to the IBrowse home screen after clicking the update button, are you actually able to go to other websites and verify that 'right there and then' there is a network connection? Clear all IBrowse caches first obviously.
Ok I will try this out.

I don't know how much it matters but I am using AWeb and not IBrowse.

Also

I have to start MiamiDX manually for the WHDload new slave reminder to work. Despite Wifi manager running in the back ground after startup I still need to do this. Once I have it running and click on a game, it seems to shut off along with Wireless manager.

Then after I click update slave, MiamiDX starts again, then once that has started a browser opens. I will check if I am actually connected when this happens. I think I have already and it is actually online but I will verify.
Old 05 February 2021, 15:37   #78
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Ok I will try this out.

I don't know how much it matters but I am using AWeb and not IBrowse.

Also

I have to start MiamiDX manually for the WHDload new slave reminder to work. Despite Wifi manager running in the back ground after startup I still need to do this. Once I have it running and click on a game, it seems to shut off along with Wireless manager.

Then after I click update slave, MiamiDX starts again, then once that has started a browser opens. I will check if I am actually connected when this happens. I think I have already and it is actually online but I will verify.
A page back (3) you shown us some photos of your whdload.prefs and user-startup. Where it says it starts MiamiDX in the user-startup, well it doesn't start anything it's just an assign. This explains why you have to start it manually to get a network connection once you're in Workbench.
But, how do you do that? I don't know how Miami is started as I'm a roadshow user, but whatever you do to start it then those same commands need to exist and be executed in the WHDLoad-Cleanup script which resides in your S: dir where your user-startup is kept etc.
Old 05 February 2021, 17:58   #79
rabidgerry

Yes that's right, that's not meant to be an illustration of where I have MiamiDX started. I don't have any implementation for Miami starting by itself.

We discussed somewhere over the thread that I would need to implement something in startup to get Miami online on boot but I don't mind I have to start it manually as I might not always have my network card plugged in.

That's simply illustration of my Userstartup to coincide with Daxb's post just before mine showing the Wirelesss manager startup.

What I meant by
Quote:

is that I thought Miami would startup in my WHDstartup by itself and then let me know if there was a new slave, that is what I mean.

But instead I have to start it manually. Then it must shut it off again, and then restart it, before shutting it off again because after I get the splash screen informing me, Miami then seems to start again.

So the sequence of events from what I can see is:'

I start Miami

I click on game

I get the splash saying I need to update

Then Miami seems to start again so I'm presuming it has been shut off somewhere along the lines

Then browser opens (doesn't take me to the site as it should)

Then I can close browser down and continue with game

Then when I finish game it starts Wireless manager and Miami again
Old 06 February 2021, 13:58   #80
rabidgerry

Confirmed!

When the browser opens for me, it is not just the home screen, I am able to go to google and search for websites and even go to whdload.de and download stuff.

I can then close the browser and continue on with the game.