English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 21 January 2021, 12:42   #41
daxb

What means DOS error? Give exact error messages, else nobody can help. But you can always try to do the Shell stuff manually first. I.e. open a Shell window and enter the DOS commands and see what works or not. "status com=c:wirelessmanager" should print a number (process number) or "object not found" or similar. In this example wirelessmanager must be in C directory to work. You can just enter "status" to see some running processes and its location. Absolute path is necessary.
Old 21 January 2021, 13:01   #42
rabidgerry

(ReturnCode=10 DosError=205)
Old 21 January 2021, 13:47   #43
daxb

As expected DOS error 205 = object not found. The process wasn't found. Can't you see/fix the problem? If WirelessManager is started this way:
Code:
run c:wirelessmanager prism2.device
A
Code:
status com=c:wirelessmanager
should print the process number. If not you do something wrong or something weird happens.
Old 21 January 2021, 17:04   #44
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
As expected DOS error 205 = object not found. The process wasn't found. Can't you see/fix the problem? If WirelessManager is started this way:
Code:
run c:wirelessmanager prism2.device
A
Code:
status com=c:wirelessmanager
should print the process number. If not you do something wrong or something weird happens.
Ok so I have a line like the first one you print in my user startup

I also noticed I have these entries in WHD load preferences

Perhaps I need to use these instead? Execute post disk and pre disk?

Old 22 January 2021, 11:55   #45
daxb

No, this looks all good. The question is where do you get the error message. If you type:
Code:
execute s:whdload-startup
Does it work or is an error printed? If you get an error something is wrong with s:whdload-startup and need to be fixed to work.
Old 22 January 2021, 14:50   #46
rabidgerry

When I did the "status com=" and got the result of 4

I then changed the number in the startup to from Miami.1 to Miami.4

I have since changed this back and it seemed to work when I tried video kid which I know has an updated slave.

However it crashed with tried Super Skidmarks.

To describe what happened with Video Kid, I had Miami running already (I have to start it manually), then went into the game folder, double clicked the icon and I got the notification that there was an updated slave, clicking the button then opened a browser. No errors thus far. The browser did not take me to WHD load page or anything like that but I figured at least it has got this far. I then was able to close down the browser and play click "play" and continue to the game which then loaded up fine!

This I guess is a positive result.

I tried then SuperSkid Marks. This crashed the whole system however.

I will try another know to be updated slave and see what happens.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 22 January 2021 at 14:55.
Old 22 January 2021, 15:36   #47
crazyc

Before running whdload, and after starting miami, can you manually go to the whdload.de site?
If whdload is calling the browser OK then its either something not working in your network set up or openurl is not handing the address over properly?
Old 22 January 2021, 15:42   #48
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Before running whdload, and after starting miami, can you manually go to the whdload.de site?
If whdload is calling the browser OK then its either something not working in your network set up or openurl is not handing the address over properly?
If I open Miami, and get online, then open Aweb and search via google WHDload.de I can access the website no problem.
Old 22 January 2021, 15:52   #49
rabidgerry

Strange on a different drive that has not been setup with miami or wireless manager or prism2.device but I have updated the OpenURL to work for Aweb, using this in WINUAE took me to the WHD load webpage for the correct game. How bizarre!
Old 22 January 2021, 16:05   #50
crazyc

Perhaps its your miami setup then?
Old 22 January 2021, 16:07   #51
rabidgerry

Quote:
Perhaps its your miami setup then?
It might be. I mean web browser is opening but just not getting to WHD site. I will look at my openurl settings again and see that they match this drive I have open in Winuae at the moment.
Old 23 January 2021, 18:14   #52
rabidgerry

Had a look in the Miami settings and I have no idea what I would need to change in order for the WHD load link to open instead of the browser homepage.
Old 23 January 2021, 18:26   #53
daxb

I don't think a Miami setup is responsible. Have your read this: http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/net.html
Old 24 January 2021, 12:32   #54
rabidgerry

Quote:
I don't think a Miami setup is responsible. Have your read this: http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/net.html
Yes I have read this.

Doesn't really point at anything specific as to where the problem may lie. My initial thoughts where perhaps OpenUrl.

Upon taking the same CF drive and plugging into WINUAE (so no MiamiDX running) opening up a game that has a new version available does exactly the same thing as on my Amiga 1200.

So this would be the results so far:

Drive A in WINUAE with no Miami running - Opens browser and does not take me to the correct webpage for downloading new slave

Drive B in WINUAE with no Miami installed and no Wireless Manager either - Opens Browser and DOES take me to the correct webpage for downloading the new slave

So I can conclude that Miami is not the issue as you suggest daxb

Once more I will take a look at OpenUrl on the original drive I was using in my real Amiga.

Last night I thought of an issue relating to the browser but after I backup the drive I will experiment with that then.
Old 26 January 2021, 00:04   #55
rabidgerry

Some bizarre findings this evening, but basically if I comment out the line in cleanup that stops Miami it takes me to the URL for the game or WHD load on my alternative CF Drive.

I but obviously not have the line in the Cleanup script means it's going to crash the game after I do any updating from the web.

Very strange indeed.

Bare in mind as well I have to start miami manually before doing any of this otherwise we don't get the update message upon opening a game at all.
Old 26 January 2021, 12:29   #56
daxb

You mean "WHDLoad-Startup" because that is the script that stops software that causes interrupts. The Cleanup script is more or less optional because it restarts the software that is stopped in the Startup script.

You can autostart Miami if you like but that is another story.
Old 26 January 2021, 12:57   #57
rabidgerry

Quote:
You mean "WHDLoad-Startup" because that is the script that stops software that causes interrupts. The Cleanup script is more or less optional because it restarts the software that is stopped in the Startup script.

You can autostart Miami if you like but that is another story.
Sorry yes I mean WHD-STARTUP.

So I do not know why this happening. I see no reason for it. I have the basic functionality of start-up and clean-up I just don't seem to be allowed to access the URLS when using startup.

To get Miami to start automatically I guess I would just need to add something to user start-up, but that isn't essential right now. Getting the Urls to open is. But I'm at that point of smashing it all up again

***edit*** I actually would rather start Miami manually as I don't always have my WIFI card plugged in so best to keep things in that respect as they are.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 26 January 2021 at 13:48. Reason: thought of something
Old 27 January 2021, 09:56   #58
rabidgerry

Ok last night alternative CF card seemed to totally work as it should. Tested a few times. So the head scratching increased. I decided to start copying things over from the working card to the non working card.

First thing I tried was AWeb. Completely replaced AWeb on my main CF drive with that off the one that is working on the other CF drive. Still not loading the Url.

Then I tried copying over the OpenUrl, this did not work either.

Las thing I tried was what I thought would yield the results I was looking for.

On the card that works I still had WHD load 18.5 and on the card that doesn't work I have WHDload 18.6. So I copied 18.5 to the card that does not load the new slave urls and then I tried it again.

It did not work.

At a total loss as to why this not working.

Is there perhaps WHD load 18.6 files that I should have copied from the archive that weren't? All I did to update my WHD load was swap out the actual program from C drive with the newer one downloaded from the website. This is what I have always done. Just checking just in case something else might night swapped to the more up to date version.
Old 27 January 2021, 10:27   #59
crazyc

I am using 18.6 and updated the same way as you....
Does your alternative card run fine and all work in your amiga or just winuae?
Old 27 January 2021, 12:42   #60
rabidgerry

Quote:
I am using 18.6 and updated the same way as you....
Does your alternative card run fine and all work in your amiga or just winuae?
All tests since my initial WINUAE discovery have now been on the real Amiga.

It's strange as the alternative card was only working about 90% for the start-up and clean-up the other day as in it would sometimes take you to the url and sometimes it wouldn't where as yesterday it seemed to work perfectly as it should.

That alternative card to seems to have problems as well which might well be to do with the card itself, like it won't let me put a game away that I had left out on my workbench screen and it keeps the hard drive LED on permanently as well, so it's funny that that card has a properly working WHD-Startup and WHD-Clean-up.