English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 29 June 2021, 21:26   #1
StompinSteve
Village idiot

Wink Amiga in the Swiss Alps

Hi my name is Steve and I live in Switzerland.

I used to own a VIC20, then a MSX-1 and then the A500 when I was in my teens. Upgraded it with a A590 HDD and 68010 CPU later on.
Years later, after making some money with summer-holiday-jobs, I got myself an A4000/40 which was a beast in those days.

Many years pass, wife, kid etc. I stumbled on the Amiga Forever emulator and bought a copy. This wetted my appetite for another A4000 but those cost a million dollars nowadays which I can't justify for myself. So Another AGA machine, the A1200, with an accelerator board seemed the way to go.
I found one in the Uk and it's in pretty good nick. Not yellowed and gives the impression it was re-capped at some point. Strangely enough, the topside of the motherboard looks pretty darn good and clean. On the underside however, there were some nasty corroded areas which I cleaned. All good now.
The kickstart ROM's are 3.0 and not 3.1 so I ordered those. Also ordered a IDE2CF Adapter + 4gig WB 3.1 fake-harddisk :-)
All of this should arrive some time next week.

It came with an accelerator board, a Blizzard 1230 Mark IV. There was also some light corrosion on some places where the board meets the big black expansion-connector. Cleaned that up too.

Changed the massive UK power-plug to a standard Swiss version (which is tiny in comparison). I did order a replacement aftermarket power-supply as i'm a bit weary of using the original for too long.

I don't have the physical desk-space to put a 1084S Monitor so i'm forced to use something "flat". Purchased the Indivision AGA MK3 flicker-fixer/scan-dboubler and hooked it up to an old Eizo 15" TFT which, over it's VGA port, can handle the output from the flickerfixer. The Eizo is also almost the same color as the Amiga so that's nice. Does not look "out of place" too much.

That's it for now. I have some issues but there are other parts on the forum for that.

Kind regards,
Steve from the Swiss Alps
Old 30 June 2021, 01:21   #2
chip

Welcome !