English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 11 March 2005, 20:06   #1
awc279

Shanghai clone/ripoff?

Hi, trying to locate a mahjong-style game similar (but better, if memory serves ) to Activision's 'Shanghai'.

It may have been shareware, as I seem to remember an option to buy more tilesets. Sold my Amiga in '95 (bad, bad move ) but reckon it may have dated from 90-92.

Used a similar tileset to 'Shanghai' as default with 1 or 2 more included, and I'm sure there was a light blue background.

Erm, that's about all I can remember (though have a nagging feeling it may actually have been called 'Mah Jong', or a variation of spelling).

Any ideas?

Old 11 March 2005, 20:09   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Hmmm, there are loads of versions of Mah Jong but I'd suggest Dragon Tiles.
Old 11 March 2005, 21:35   #3
awc279

Thanks Cody, I've had a look at quite a few variations that are available - some of them (ie Dragon Tiles) are quite good - but it's this particular game I'm trying to find.

Either because I'm desparately trying to recreate my student game-playing days, or because I'm so stubborn I won't let it lie til I find it!

Old 12 March 2005, 02:09   #4
Amiga1992

I dont understand why Shangai-like games are referred to as mah-jongg, they are two completely different games! Please don't mistake the two of them, awc and CodyJarrett!

And I don't know of the existance of any mah-jong games for amiga, as this is a tipically jap game (therefore there are oozes of versions of mahjong available for jap machines).

I suppose you are looking for a Shangai-type game, then, of which I only know Dragon Tiles, Shanghai I and Shanghai II.
Old 12 March 2005, 02:11   #5
Amiga1992

I supose the confusion comes when Shanghai originally uses mahjong tiles for their game. THIS is mahjong:

It's sort of a domino-meets-poker? type game, so has nothing to do with Shanghai.
Please stop calling games like Shanghai as "mahjongg"

I never got to completely understand and play mahjong, i should try agian , it's fun when you get the hold of it.
Old 12 March 2005, 02:16   #6
Amiga1992

Another pic, clearer, where you see the only resemblance is the tiles used:

Old 12 March 2005, 08:07   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Mate, what game is that? For what machine?

I kind used to like playing Mah-jong on computers (I had a couple of Mah-Jong games on the MSX).. but there has been a long time I don't play any Mah Jong games.

Never liked Shangai though
Old 12 March 2005, 19:09   #8
Amiga1992

Last one is a game for the PC-98 computer. Previous one is an arcade game.

You can find mahjongg gmes for most any japanese computer/console. Personally I recommend Super Real mahjongg for the neogeo pocket ;D
Old 12 March 2005, 22:55   #9
awc279

Akira - I acknowledge and understand your pedantry, but the incorrect usage stems from game developers not myself and Cody.

The 'Shanghai' use of mahjongg tiles has also been labelled 'Solitaire Mahjongg'.

Anyway, still no closer to tracking down this piece of software...

Old 13 March 2005, 23:36   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by awc279
Akira - I acknowledge and understand your pedantry, but the incorrect usage stems from game developers not myself and Cody.
Full *nod*, yet Akira is right.
Had a game on my IBM PC in '84, also called 'MAH-JONGG'.
But it was also a heap of tiles you needed to "deconstruct" within certain rules, like Shanghai (Activision) that came later (in '86).

Besides ... http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/mjfaq05.htm

Simple: Tile-matching games DO use Mah-Jongg tiles.
You can play a real tile-matching game with a Mah-Jongg set.
Old 14 March 2005, 03:32   #11
Amiga1992

Yeah that. I'm not being pedantic, im trying to put it right because I often see shanghai games referred to as mahjong, even by the game creators, and i think it's wrong. Not emaning to say "you two are wrong repent yourselves!", I was trying to clarify this up because not much people know the real mahjongg game since it is a game typically japanese...

Otherwise, american football should be equal to rugby.Same ball, isn't it? Obviously not, the game is absolutely different.

I remember that PC game called MAHJONG that was shanghai-type. Used to play it in school. Back then I didn't know the name was inapropriate.

The site linked t by andreas illustrates perfectly this common confusion.

I'd correct you though andreas: Tile-matching games CAN use mah-jongg tiles. it is not necessary for a shanghai-type game to have mahjongg tiles. I suppose they were used because the game had to be of an oriental aesthetic, therefore.... They could even have been hanafuda cards.
Old 14 March 2005, 16:07   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I'd correct you though andreas: Tile-matching games CAN use mah-jongg tiles. it is not necessary for a shanghai-type game to have mahjongg tiles.
True, but the 'do use' was supposed to refer to the fact that 99 out of 100 games do use these tiles indeed.
There might be a tiny minority with games using different tiles, but it is really a minority.
Old 14 March 2005, 16:54   #13
Amiga1992

Yup.
(agreed again. the world is coming to an end)
Old 15 March 2005, 09:20   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If you don't mind turning to the enemy (the pc), I always thought that Kyoday was a good Mahjongg implementation.

http://www.kyodai.com

It's not free though, but that hasn't stopped any Amiga gamer in the past