English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2017, 22:23   #1
fragedthewife

Some help using Gotek along with floppy drive

While my A600 is currently away for repair I was getting withdrawal symptoms So acquired an A500 from a good friend of mines which had been stored away for 20 odd years.

After playing around with the few floppy discs I had and with no proper WB to mess with I purchased a Gotek running Cortex 105a firmware, Now I do have another Gotek running HxC but I use this in my Atari

Okay so this brings me to a few questions, Can the Gotek be used external to retain the main Floppy in the Amiga and keep this workable.
I.E use both Gotek and Floppy

The next questions is that say I run some tracker software to play music .mod files, I use the Gotek and load up sound tracker how can the Gotek then load up sound files as it only reads .adf. can you get .mod files compiled into an .adf file

I hope I'm making sense with what I'm looking to achieve.

Thank you - Chris
Old 25 August 2017, 14:31   #2
happymondays

Some games can only boot from DF0: so to tackle this you will need to buy a boot selector along with a cable to directly connect your Gotek externally (that latter you can buy from ikonsgr, he is a member here, but he also sells them on ebay - I bought my cable from him and it works nicely).

Regarding boot selectors, the newer ones seem to have some minor issues (DF0 and DF1 not being able to work at the same time), there is a thread somewhere here about that called "Can a floppy selector switch & external<>internal Gotek cable work together?" I have an old one purchased back in the early 90s, which I only started to use with my Gotek about two years ago, until then it sat there on my shelf unopened. So if you might want to use them at the same time, I guess you should look for an old one, mine is most probably from Germany, but it came in a plain white box with no other info than how to set it up, so I don't even know who made it.
Old 25 August 2017, 15:37   #3
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
I have an old one purchased back in the early 90s, which I only started to use with my Gotek about two years ago
With an A600 as the OP has?
Those were common with A500s because the CIA is socketed, but it isn't the same for A600/A1200, as far as I know, there's no such thing. Unless you are brave and want to mess with surface mount chip legs and stuff, which I wouldn't.
Old 25 August 2017, 21:27   #4
fragedthewife

I plan on using this with the A500 -

I ran into the problem when I loaded up a Sound tracker but have no way to load .mod files or music files as the Gotek only looks to read .adf files if that makes sense.

So in essence another question could be how to use a Gotek to load sound tracker and then load mod files to go with it.

Thank you.

Chris.
Old 26 August 2017, 18:26   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragedthewife View Post

So in essence another question could be how to use a Gotek to load sound tracker and then load mod files to go with it.

You will have to create ADF files with what you want in them. WinUAE or other emulator would be the ideal tool for that.
Old 26 August 2017, 23:41   #6
fragedthewife

Thanks I will try to learn more as not overly familiar with UAE I prefer the real hardware but if it helps then I'm all for it
Old 27 August 2017, 20:58   #7
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You will have to create ADF files with what you want in them. WinUAE or other emulator would be the ideal tool for that.
ADFOpus or The HxC software too.