English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 July 2012, 13:30   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Tom & Jerry (stuck)

According to the reviews I read on HoL, there should be 5 rooms. Room 1-3 has the hole you come from and a second hole you enter to get to the next room. The problem is, room 4 doesn't have a second hole.

The last room I need to get to (room 5) should be a garage I think, as I see a car and stuff in the scanned reviews on HoL. I've tried knocking everything over in room 4 in case there would be a hole hiding behind them, but found nothing. There's not that much time to travel back to other rooms as the cat would get me several times before I reach further back, but what I was thinking is maybe the door you start the game from (that is locked) is unlocked when all the cheese in room 1-4 has been taken? I haven't tried this as I don't have the needed time to get back there AND it wouldn't make sense anyway as room 1-3 has two holes, so why would room 4 only have one and require you to go back?

A video of how far I've gotten:
[ Show youtube player ]

There's 3 SPS versions of this game:

1. Tom and Jerry - Hunting High and Low (1989)(Magic Bytes)[1305]
2. Tom and Jerry (1989)(Magic Bytes)[1306]
3. Tom and Jerry 2 (1989)(Magic Bytes)[2229]

I'm playing nr 2 and have also tried nr 3 and they should be identical, which they seem, yet they have different file sizes. According to HoL they are only alternative names. Nr 1 is just the same game with different level design (according to the scanned reviews at HoL).

Soooo, any ideas how to find the second hole in room 4?

Last edited by hipoonios; 10 July 2012 at 14:17.
Old 10 July 2012, 21:55   #2
clenched

You missed a piece of cheese. Go to 8:34 in the video. See the cheese under the cactus? After the detonator is pushed look under the cactus after it comes back into view. I guess it was blown to bits.
Old 10 July 2012, 22:46   #3
petshopfanboy

yes you missed a piece of cheese

Old 11 July 2012, 16:43   #4
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Ohhh!

I've been over the video several times, didn't catch that the cheese was blown away, meh.

Still, I don't think I will be able to get to room 5 even if I take this cheese because the game doesn't work like that. The second hole would still be missing. The holes doesn't appear when you have all the cheese in a room as far as I know, the holes should always be there. But I will give it another try. Maybe this room is special and the hole will appear somehow by taking this cheese.

Thanks for spotting it btw
Old 11 July 2012, 16:52   #5
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Cool, with that extra cheese, taking the last on to the right threw the message "WELL DONE JERRY. NOW HURRY UP BACK BEFORE TOM BLOWS UP YOUR CHEESE". So, there's no 5th room? No wonder I couldn't find the second hole which was promised in the manual. Guess the garage room will come later when I get back, but don't think I can go back, because I'm too low on time :/
Old 11 July 2012, 17:01   #6
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Yup, no way to get back in time. Managed 1.5 rooms with the time I had left, without being caught on the way. Will have to replay the game from the start and not lose a second anywhere.

MEGA hard game, impossible without save states imo.
Old 11 July 2012, 19:34   #7
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

And I'm stuck again, tried everything, can't defuse the bomb. Pressed up, down, left, right, fire, fire+all moves, tried space, enter, F keys etc etc..

I've upped T&J.rar to the zone in case someone can rip the pictures, especially the one called "TheEnd" which probably is the end picture. As I can't figure out how to disable the bomb I'll just add the end pic.

Only file I found was an iff is the "tjex1", which is of the tunnel when running... the rest I have no idea.

Edit:

Forgot to add the screenshot + savestate:

Attached Files
File Type: uss Save.uss (209.0 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by hipoonios; 11 July 2012 at 19:40.
Old 11 July 2012, 20:01   #8
clenched

I'll bet a day's pay the bomb fuse is supposed to be put out with the pail that was directly above this spot at the beginning of the game.

Last edited by clenched; 12 July 2012 at 06:04.
Old 11 July 2012, 20:11   #9
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
I'll bet a day's pay the the bomb fuse is supposed to be put out with the pail that was directly above this spot at the beginning of the game.
I grabbed some item to the right of the upper flower in the beginning and thought maybe that's what I have to use now, but don't know how. Or maybe I shouldn't have picked it up as it's used automatically if the bomb is there? Wouldn't make sense as the bomb is not that close to it. So I'm still guessing I need to use this item on the bomb, just don't know how.
Old 11 July 2012, 20:13   #10
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Old 11 July 2012, 20:36   #11
clenched

I don't know what that thing is. I even held it under the Windows magnifier and still couldn't tell. I still say use the pail to dowse the fuse.
Old 11 July 2012, 20:47   #12
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Now I think I know, there's a bucket above the door. I probably need to save that one and not push it over (used it on Tom in the beginning). Then when the bomb is by the door, I push the bucket. Pail = bucket (more or less). Meh, so I really have to replay the game from the start AGAIN? Then what is the item for?

Can't be bothered to play it again, would be the 5th time! So, I hope someone gets me the end screen picture from the files I upped to the Zone :P
Old 11 July 2012, 21:08   #13
MethodGit

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the mystery item in the second screenshot looks an awful lot like a whistle.

I'll be damned if I know what purpose it's supposed to entail though.

On a more positive note, I do know of a way to enable unlimited time by hacking the executable if you're desperate enough.
Old 11 July 2012, 22:05   #14
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
On a more positive note, I do know of a way to enable unlimited time by hacking the executable if you're desperate enough.
Nah, unlimited time won't help me, it's not a timing problem. The problem is I would have to play from start again and not use the bucket this time, so I have it when the bomb is placed. So, time doesn't help here

Would help if you could make the bucket appear :P, or the bomb explode, or get me the ending picture from the files I upped to the zone.
Old 11 July 2012, 22:21   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

TheEnd file should be IFF picture because of header
Code:
ČCMAP   0   €€€ŕ*€ŕ€ ŕ`@Ŕ@ *   `* *Ŕ Ŕŕ ŕŔ Ŕ* *` `   `@ `DPPV   h       h  @ Č  Z   m                     ˙aď‡ )J
 ’e                ä  s9    ˙˙‹Ç  äCRNG   `   CRNG   ´ đ  CRNG   &Ě	   CRNG   
@  BODY
http://www.fine-view.com/jp/labs/doc/ilbm.txt
but XNView can not show it for some reason. I think you can swap files thend and eatjerry to see ending.
Old 11 July 2012, 23:08   #16
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Ye, I thought of swapping files as well, but didn't as I was too lazy to see what files to switch with. Didn't know what file belonged to the "time's up!" picture or the title screen. "eatjerry" doesn't sound like any of those, so never tried.
Old 13 July 2012, 21:15   #17
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Got bored of the game after so many retries.

Instead Ironclaw (another dude who records longplays) have played it through.

New video: [ Show youtube player ]