English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: What do you use your accelerated Amiga for?
to be able to run any game above stock Amiga configs. 18 27.69%
to speed up 3D games. 8 12.31%
for day to day productivity apps and entertainment 17 26.15%
Something else (please comment) 22 33.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 March 2021, 07:18   #41
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Lightwave!! Oh, and ImageFX.. Also makes DPaintV animations fly along quite nicely.

Last edited by marcfrick2112; 11 March 2021 at 07:19. Reason: Can't spel
Old 11 March 2021, 08:36   #42
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Amiga 1200. Slightly sped up with 68020 or 68030 - more than sufficient. You can do nearly everything on it. It is slightly bigger than a keyboard. 1200 is just SO RIGHT! If you want more or rather different - to each is own. But I hardly see any logic in terms of feature-for-cost coming in favour of a desktop Amiga today. I'd rather have a few 1200 instead - as backup.
I went from A500 to 1200 to 3000. The 1200 went through a lot of expansions when I had it. At first a Blizzard1230/IV and later a BlizzardPPC 040/25.
The 040/25 felt slower in everyday use to the 030/50. The 030/50 was plenty fast for most things and in hindsight it was a very nice machine, compact, fast, stable(!). But then in those days we all wanted an A4000 or in my case an A3000 with a 060 card right? it was the ultimate Amiga back then.
So, I sold the 1200 with the BlizzardPPC and bought a second hand 3000. Put a 060 in, a Cybervision, network card... It was a dream machine that supported al "serious" stuff I needed to do until the PC finally took over.
But that was in the early/late 90's. Now things are different altogether. Now the Amiga is about nostalgia and retro feeling. And that depends a bit on what you remember the Amiga for. Gaming? A500 with some modest expansions to make life easier is all you need. Workbench and Amiga as a "serious" high-end computer? 68060 all the way!
Old 11 March 2021, 10:03   #43
modrobert
old bearded fool

Programming assembler, C and playing games using WHDLoad.
Old 11 March 2021, 13:41   #44
Valken

Spoofing... I hate SpyGoogleSoftBook so I use WinUAE to load up those suspect sites over a VPN! Throws them off when they do not have a system clock on the "PC"!

I love old machines for that alone.

Ibrowse works fairly well, even with SSL! It definitely needs more tweaks, but it is great when it works.

Last edited by Valken; 11 March 2021 at 13:49.
Old 29 March 2021, 16:44   #45
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
The main reason for having a 060 CPU is to watch the demos at the Revision Demo Party on the "real thing". I love to watch and listen to the art on the real hardware through the real amp circuits with the real Paula. And I love 060 demos.
Do those 060 Demos work on the PI emulated setup?
Old 29 March 2021, 16:58   #46
klx300r

Thumbs up

poll closed but I use my 060 mainly for watching all the awesome demos that require one, playing games that really need it to be playable, and I still love messing around with Lightwave and strangely enjoy the long(er) rendering times eh ...I’m a hardware guy and never been into emulation and the 060 was the king of CPU’s back in the day for us amigans and ‘Intel outside’ crowd?
Old 29 March 2021, 17:36   #47
Flimbo

I bought an 030 card for my 1200 last year but it didn't work so I had to return it. I bought it purely for gaming but ended up just buying a new 8mb fast ram card. I do wonder if my machine would perform better on certain games, but I guess I will never know. Would love to buy a reasonably priced new accelerator card but appreciate the reasons why these do not exist.
Old 31 March 2021, 15:31   #48
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post
Lightwave!! Oh, and ImageFX.. Also makes DPaintV animations fly along quite nicely.
Honestly, all lovely applications. I also bought a sound sampler and Digi-View and DCTV!

One thing is striking me after heading back to the Amiga pastures lately. How compact the applications are. Multi-tasking OS on a single 880kb floppy. Manny apps on 1 or 2 floppies. Very capable. Able to scale up to higher res screens and handle the content. It really makes you wonder how inefficient applications must be today for an OS or applications to come on DVDs needing multiple GB of space. It is as if there is some conspiracy by software firms to write more demanding inefficient software to sell new hardware!
Old 01 April 2021, 00:53   #49
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Oh don’t get me started on the needless upgrade wheel we are all on. I can’t imagine how fast our machines would be if people actually wrote to the metal.
Old 01 April 2021, 16:32   #50
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I use my V1200 for whdload and listening to music.
Especially on parties. It's fun when people are standing there in disbelief that the music that's playing is coming from an Amiga.
Old 02 April 2021, 07:25   #51
ChefDeadpool

With my Vampire-accelerated A500...

I play on MUSHes (kind of like a MUD, but more roleplaying-focused), use it for ScummVM, and play a lot of old OCS/ECS games. Registered IBrowse is fast enough for grabbing the latest software, and I'm working on getting one of those proxy things set up on a raspberry pi so I can have more of a usable gateway to the web.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a hobby machine, but it's nice to have one piece of hardware that reminds me of the time that I was into computing for pleasure, and not to feed my dumb fat face.

Last edited by ChefDeadpool; 02 April 2021 at 07:26. Reason: Forgot to add what machine I was using.
Old 19 April 2021, 22:26   #52
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWCashy View Post
True story..
Hilarious. And...a True Story. Vampire is NOT THE AMIGA.
Old 19 April 2021, 23:14   #53
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Hilarious. And...a True Story. Vampire is NOT THE AMIGA.
Using caps turns nonsense into fact, true story.

I use my kickass V4+ for all kinds of NG+Vamp games, 060 Demos...and some productivity as well. Sometimes I only use it to luxuriate in the superb RTG WB experience.
Old 19 April 2021, 23:26   #54
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Using caps turns nonsense into fact, true story.

I use my kickass V4+ for all kinds of NG+Vamp games, 060 Demos...and some productivity as well. Sometimes I only use it to luxuriate in the superb RTG WB experience.
Back in the day, with my GVP 040 equipped 2000, I had a Retina in it, and it was a joy to have the extra colours for my productivity apps, paint, etc.

On brighter side - I just got my color toner for my 24pin dot matrix printer to output all those colours!
Old 19 April 2021, 23:47   #55
sneeker

I know the poll is closed, and my ansswer is, ive no idea, I just bought it ages ago as it seemed a good idea.

Ive got an apollo 1240 with 32mb ram, its nice for workbench but in all honesty, unless its trying to run more modern demos, its not much faster then my aca1232/40 in real day to day use, that itself was a noticable improvement over my dkb cobra 030/28.

Doom runs better then on the 030 with apollo and more modern stuff, but most of the time I tend to play games from my youth and theyre all A500 games anyway.
Old 22 April 2021, 18:20   #56
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
I know the poll is closed, and my ansswer is, ive no idea, I just bought it ages ago as it seemed a good idea.

Ive got an apollo 1240 with 32mb ram, its nice for workbench but in all honesty, unless its trying to run more modern demos, its not much faster then my aca1232/40 in real day to day use, that itself was a noticable improvement over my dkb cobra 030/28.

Doom runs better then on the 030 with apollo and more modern stuff, but most of the time I tend to play games from my youth and theyre all A500 games anyway.
Truth be told, I never had an AGA Amiga back in the day. As noted I threw a Retina into my 2000, but like you, all the games I played were non-AGA games, then post that system jumped to PC. Looking forward to going through those actually when I have some time. There is a whole AGA world of Amiga that I haven't really discovered yet. I've spend more time cleaning up, restoring, upgrading and tweaking all my 1200 than actually using them! I'm being nutty - but the bottom line is, I don't want to start using them until they are awesome and perfect.
Old 24 April 2021, 20:09   #57
jdb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I use a lot of music applications, some of the synth ones render quicker with a better CPU
Did you release anything yet? I'd be curious to listen to some of your music. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I use my 060 mostly to watch demos. Sometimes I play, too.
Old 25 April 2021, 21:20   #58
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post

ImageFX is brilliant. I still use it probably weekly to edit full-sized photos. It'd be nice if I could get raw formats working for my DSLRs but I'm happy just being able to do full sized pics on the thing. It's not quick, but it's usable.

I've also enjoyed writing with Final Writer but finding ProWrite more responsive for distraction-free writing. Final Writer 97 feels very ... heavy, and I just don't really enjoy writing with Wordworth although both are good products. I have DPaint IV, but tbh I prefer PPaint (apologies if that's herecy).