English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 February 2009, 14:50   #1
asm1

Scandoubler and RF shield.

Hi

Got my A1200 Scandoubler this morning. I now have all the bits but am waiting on the Amiga . I notice from the instructions that the upper RF shield needs to be "modified"... ahem! Now they also say that they 'recommend' reinstalling the upper RF shield, although the computer will operate without it. Now I don't have any chop tools at the moment so...

I guess my question(s) are:
What do you chaps do/recommend?
Is it possible/safe to use the miggy without the upper RF shield?

Or should I go and buy myself a Dremel?.... (not that I'm all that comfortable with 'metalwork' but if needs must.....

Andrew
Old 20 February 2009, 16:56   #2
Amiga1992

Get that shit off.
It's useless.
Old 20 February 2009, 17:18   #3
Rixa

Most people will tell you to just forget about the upper RF shield. I know I ran my a1200 like that for years and would still if I hadn't thought it brilliant to add one of those to my Indivision AGA order from Amigakit. Oops.

The shield is designed to be there, though, and since I had a obtained a new one that I couldn't use I decided to go ahead and mod it. I posted a picture here when the mod was almost finished. It's not in the picture, but I also cut into neat shape a piece of plastic sheet to place between the board and the shield to prevent any conductive parts from touching it.

I've seen pictures where people have removed much more of the shield, like the entire plate under the hard disk caddy and more. It would certainly be much easier and faster to just cut it like that, but it feels to me that if you cut so much of it away it makes even less sense to have it there at all. I believe this mod could also help to hold the board in place if you have a loose fit like some people with a HP Lisa do.

I had really primitive tools. Made the holes with whatever means I could and then filed them into right size and shape with a set of small files, mostly one with a rectangular profile. This was a lot of work and I had to be careful not to not leave the edges sharp.

The upper RF shield not fitting in is at least easy to ignore. You're going to have much more trouble with the hard disk if you still have one, as the Indivision board covers one of the holes that the legs of the caddy stands on.
Old 20 February 2009, 17:58   #4
Amiga1992

As I said in another thread I even went to the extent to remove the RF modulator too. Nobody uses it nowadays.

Get rid of the shield, it will not affect the functioning of the computer at all. My A600 never came with one and my A1200 had it removed since day 1.
Old 20 February 2009, 19:22   #5
Yoto
1 Potato to SpamĀ“em all!

I installed Indivision Aga and i didnt cut anything from my RF shield, cutting the RF shield top isnt an option since it will render it useless.
I used Duct tape to isulate the metal parts that could make contact with Indivision, some sillicon drops on the right places will also have the same effect.
Old 20 February 2009, 19:40   #6
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
The upper RF shield not fitting in is at least easy to ignore. You're going to have much more trouble with the hard disk if you still have one, as the Indivision board covers one of the holes that the legs of the caddy stands on.

Bugger! The machine is coming fitted with a Hard drive

Now I know about the CF -> Ide mod but was planning to leave that for a while. So I guess my next question is....

If I leave the RF shield off, how do I get the HD and Indivision to play nice? Bend one of the legs on the caddy?
Old 20 February 2009, 20:37   #7
Rixa

I think this is the most under-documented drawback of the Indivision AGA, otherwise a great board. I'm not sure the manual even mentions it! Well, this and the fact it doesn't come bundled with any mounting solution for the VGA connector..

I guess the caddy might stand on three legs if you can somehow bend the one that won't go, but be sure to check if it can fall and cause damage. Having the RF shield in place like in my mod might provide support to stand on a bent leg, but I don't know..

I use a CompactFlash adapter like many people. It's small and light so it doesn't need the caddy much. Of course you will still need to mount or case it somehow so it won't touch any components. I made what was supposed to be a temporary solution, but which has worked really well. I took a piece of cardboard, scissors and glue and made a little tray for it with wings that fold over the cable. The keyboard sits on the wings, preventing them from opening, and thus keeps the adapter in the cardboard tray. The adapters cost only spare change and the cards aren't expensive either. Setting up the card may be a bit tricky.
Old 20 February 2009, 20:43   #8
asm1

No, the manual doesn't mention it - they fit a scandoubler to a non HD Machine. Hmm I shall investigate once I have my miggy