English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 February 2018, 20:42   #81
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I'd say, instead of posting this here you could create an "Bomb Jack alternate version idea peddling thread" where it would be less intrusive.

And about your Amiga coding skills, mine were low as well two years ago.
Simply take your time and learn it.

add/edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachu View Post
So in your universe graphics does not exist?
Well, they do off course. But doing that sprite panel would cost me about 10 minutes of my time.

Implementing that sprite multiplexer with horizontal copper rearming of sprite data probably a month of work, if not more, until everything runs smooth. And that's without the game logic that needs to sort sprites not only vertically but also horizontally to keep them apart enough for the copper to reload data...

It was the same in your Metal Slug thread. You are posting some lazy colour conversion where the objects are not even word aligned, and write that you did half of the work... In reality it's not even comparable to the amount a coder has to spent time on to get this kind of stuff running.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 20 February 2018 at 20:50.
Old 20 February 2018, 21:41   #82
Amiga1992

Quote:
I came here with SOMETHING to back up my ideas and I would really like if moderation started to delete such offtopic talk, because instead talking on what can and cant be done we have at least 3 messages where i need to explain why i am here.
I'm sorry, why are you getting SO aggressive?

If we're talking about how we view each other comments, in my view, the one who is being off-topic is you, by trying to steer someone else's project in a way you want it to be (when you could, as we said, be doing your own for), however, in either case, people should NOT censor anyone else's opinions. With that kind of thought train, moderation might as well erase your messages too. Mcgeezer was kind enough to answer your proposals, and he explained clearly and definitively why it is -not- a good idea for -his- project, but somehow you insist and get aggressive when people tell you "cut it out".

I can also come up with a bunch of graphics. Without implementing them in an actual game, it's not solid proof of what can be done, or an example of why. You were the one who started a Metal Slug thread (yes I know what you've "done" already) saying "I converted all graphics, half the work is done". I am not underestimating the importance of graphics, but you clearly and grossly underestimate the importance of code.

I am done driving this off-topicness (that you started) any further. Last comment from me about this here.
Sorry Mcgeezer
Old 20 February 2018, 22:03   #83
nobody

In my opinion the age that photo realistic pictures impressed is long gone. Maybe they would impress if it was 1995-96 but it's 2018. Now it's either pixel graphics or good 3D or very good hand drawn-high resolution graphics. And for sure it's overkill for such a game on an A500.
Old 20 February 2018, 22:16   #84
Trachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Well, they do off course. But doing that sprite panel would cost me about 10 minutes of my time.

Implementing that sprite multiplexer with horizontal copper rearming of sprite data probably a month of work, if not more, until everything runs smooth. And that's without the game logic that needs to sort sprites not only vertically but also horizontally to keep them apart enough for the copper to reload data...

It was the same in your Metal Slug thread. You are posting some lazy colour conversion where the objects are not even word aligned, and write that you did half of the work... In reality it's not even comparable to the amount a coder has to spent time on to get this kind of stuff running.
Man you are going really personal pushing me to the position where i must defend myself instead on focus on Amiga.
-----------
Indeed you would spend 10 minutes of time and get nowhere my results. Why? Because you lack knowledge and think its all easy. Ok maybe it is, but YOU DIDNT.
-----------
Second what I proposed for your game is something completelly different than what I am talking here.
Why? Because you use 32px wide objects and in Bomb Jack all sprites are maximum 16px wide. That gives far more flexibility and DIFFERENT approach.
------------------
Third, everything must come in right place and time.. When in Ryggar thread there was open disscussion how to make the port I came with the idea to utilise all sprites for background and i provided some simple example. When the coder FOLLOWED my idea and tested it is working, THEN i prepared beautiful 16colour background and even better conversion to 32colours of Tiles. When everything was worked flawlessly i said we should try to go for EHB. I couldnt make the conversion due to lack of time, but someone else has picked up the stick and made it. THEN we had performance issue which stopped development for a while but i believe Sandruzzo finally will overcome it.
In case of METAL SLUG I made the conversion of graphics which i thought its good enough to present it publicly. I was very aware how difficult it would be so made some marketing around it. Noone picked up the stick so why should i spend my time for example alligining the sprites?
-------
Fourth I am here presenting my idea how to make this game completelly new with stunning graphics. IF coder pick up my idea, take those digitised photo, make some hardware sprite drawings on the HAM screen THEN i would spend my time and resources in order to provide BETTER graphics and even better sprites. Thats how it should work because creating good graphics is timeconsuming and if something wont be possible all your work will be lost.
He can of course say his not interested then i stop talking here, but maybe someone else will be interested so we would start the new thread. Anyway its not your decision.

Its that FINALLY understood?
Old 20 February 2018, 22:20   #85
Amiga1992

Man you're unhinged.
Quote:
Third, everything must come in right place and time.. When in Ryggar thread there was open disscussion how to make the port I came with the idea to utilise all sprites for background and i provided some simple example.
That's the "funny" thing here: mcgeezer has not asked "how to make this" or "how to make this better", there is no "open discussion" on how to "improve" his game.

So much for right place and time!
Old 20 February 2018, 22:26   #86
DamienD
Banned

@Trachu; where do I begin???

I already said to you last night in the Inviyya - OCS Shoot Em Up thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
@Trachu; personally I really like the new look.

Obviously you are welcome to give advise to Steril707 but at the end of the day it's his game and he will do whatever he likes with it; end of.

Why don't you create your own game and then you can use any method you think is best?
Quote:
Discussion is fine; what it seems to me though (and hence why Steril707 has had to tell you multiple times that it's the way he likes it and it's his game / decisions), is that your are trying to enforce your methods.

Maybe it's just the way you come across / word things.

Anyway, enough from me...
I've never met anyone so up their own arse and for no real reason what-so-ever. Let's see some of your choice quotes in this thread alone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachu
do not miss the point here

INNOVATIVE

but with such attitude Amiga would go no further

Have you seen Ryggar conversion

propose something in order to make Amiga great again

I am good at graphics and overall knowledge at Amiga architecture which i have prooven many Times
Ok, so you "converted" graphics that aren't even you own... OMG, f$%king amazing!!!

Quote:
and I would really like if moderation started to delete such offtopic talk
You really need to calm things down and stop derailing other people's game development thread with your ideas.

Authors' have politely answered you / rejected your suggestions and you then proceed to call then rude. WTF???

Anyway, keep it up and the only moderation happening here will the deletion of your posts. Last warning and end of discussion
Old 20 February 2018, 23:25   #87
Trachu

Quote:
@Trachu; where do I begin???

I already said to you last night in the Inviyya - OCS Shoot Em Up thread:

I've never met anyone so up their own arse and for no real reason what-so-ever. Let's see some of your choice quotes in this thread alone:

Ok, so you "converted" graphics that aren't even you own... OMG, f$%king amazing!!!

You really need to calm things down and stop derailing other people's game development thread with your ideas.

Authors' have politely answered you / rejected your suggestions and you then proceed to call then rude. WTF???

Anyway, keep it up and the only moderation happening here will the deletion of your posts. Last warning and end of discussion
You are the boss here so you can do whatever you want, but I can proove You got it all wrong.
When Steril made HIS statement about his game i left his topic. This is not sterils topic and the author Mcgeezer clearly says he wants more from me and thats the only reason I am here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I'm really happy you're suggesting stuff though, keep it coming - if I'm technically capable I'll happily consider it, there are by far much better coders than me hanging around on the EAB. If it's not feasible then it isn't a matter of thinking bigger, it's just some things are not technically possible anyway with the hardware and the time I have to spend on the project.
So unless you want to supersceede Mcgeezer wish you can delete me, otherwise take a different look at Sterils and Akira activity here.
Thank you

PS. I have not only converted the pictures...
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 February 2018, 23:33   #88
DamienD
Banned

Ok that's it; I think everyone has now had enough of your bullshit...

You act as if you are an Amiga graphics God / legend!!! I mean, how dare anyone not listen to you and your rubbish ideas???

You can't actually be serious or that deluded; it's sooooo laughable

Next thing you'll be telling us that you were part of the Psygnosis plus Team 17 crew and are partly responsible for the graphics in the "Shadow of the Beast" and "Alien Breed" series

Anyway; you've ignored my warnings plus really, really, really annoyed game authors, numerous members and a Global Moderator; not very smart!!!

Guess what; your now going on a short, involuntary vacation... please take this time to reflect on you f$%ked up / rude / condescending attitude

@Mcgeezer; really sorry for all this and the derailment of your awesome thread / game man
Old 20 February 2018, 23:40   #89
mcgeezer

Quote:
@Mcgeezer; really sorry for all this and the derailment of your awesome thread / game man
No worries and thanks. I think the lad is just a bit too enthusiastic about stuff.
Old 27 February 2018, 00:03   #90
mcgeezer

Quick update to say I've updated the Bomb Jack Beer Edition, it's to the point now that it is good enough for a Beta release as it is fully playable.

For those that don't want to download the ADF you can watch a Youtube video of progress here - [ Show youtube player ]

For those that do... then here you are... Beta 1 http://109.228.4.199/bombjack2.adf

I've not adjusted the enemies at all, so the game is rock solid hard - and I'm a Bomb Jack Veteran.

For the Beer Edition, I've decided that the backgrounds will be famous landmarks of my favourite drinking places... Sunderland (Penshaw Monument), Newcastle (Angel of the North), Durham (Cathedral), London (Tower Bridge) and .... Ibiza/Barcelona or Las Vegas... not sure yet. Each round will have different beers to collect.... Double Maxim, Brown Ale, Peroni... etc... keeping in with the location.

There'll be special Kebab and Garlic sauce rounds as well.

Enjoy.

Note: The game will still only run on an A500 config. Additional compatibility will be the last thing that I do on the game to make it complete (unless someone pays me like £200, then I'll think about it)
Old 27 February 2018, 00:32   #91
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] I've not adjusted the enemies at all, so the game is rock solid hard - and I'm a Bomb Jack Veteran. [...]
It's visible on the video ... but the game looks really great .
Old 27 February 2018, 00:56   #92
DamienD
Banned

Thanks man, will definitely trying out your great work... mucho appreciation my friend

Quote:
London (Tower Bridge)
I've lived all over London in that past 19 years but one of the best times I had was when in St. Katherine's Dock; so close to everything i.e. Borough Markets / Spitalfield Markets / Old Street / Shoreditch / etc. / work
Old 27 February 2018, 08:01   #93
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Thanks, McGeezer for the new adf. Will try this out this evening.

I will be in London next weekend for the Art Of Noise Concert at the British Library, so I will try to check out some of the pubs there...
Old 04 March 2018, 19:10   #94
mcgeezer

Hey everyone,

A quick note to say I've updated the Bomb Jack Beer Edition - it's now at BETA 2B.

This version has all of the levels included (63 of them) and I've adjusted the difficulty somewhat as enemies will now get gradually faster.

The game still has a few bugs which I need to iron out, if the game crashes out for you could you please let me know by PM.

Video here - [ Show youtube player ]

ADF here - http://109.228.4.199/bombjack2b.adf

Note - it will still only run on an A500/+ with 0.5mb Chip and at least 0.5mb fast ram.

PS. If you want to let me know what your hi-scores are then post them here , this way I can gauge difficulty.
Old 04 March 2018, 20:00   #95
vulture

Oh man! Thx!
Old 04 March 2018, 20:12   #96
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer
Aside from my family, I love three things in life.
The classic "Just in case my family sees this thread" intro.
Old 05 March 2018, 12:38   #97
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hey everyone,

A quick note to say I've updated the Bomb Jack Beer Edition - it's now at BETA 2B.

This version has all of the levels included (63 of them) and I've adjusted the difficulty somewhat as enemies will now get gradually faster.

The game still has a few bugs which I need to iron out, if the game crashes out for you could you please let me know by PM.

Video here - [ Show youtube player ]

ADF here - http://109.228.4.199/bombjack2b.adf

Note - it will still only run on an A500/+ with 0.5mb Chip and at least 0.5mb fast ram.

PS. If you want to let me know what your hi-scores are then post them here , this way I can gauge difficulty.
Nice

...still haven't had the time to check it out yet
Old 05 March 2018, 19:08   #98
TurboCrash

Thanks McGeezer !

All ale the great Beer Edition of Bomb Jack!
Old 05 March 2018, 20:33   #99
van_dammesque

Quote:
For the Beer Edition, I've decided that the backgrounds will be famous landmarks of my favourite drinking places... Sunderland (Penshaw Monument), Newcastle (Angel of the North), Durham (Cathedral), London (Tower Bridge) and .... Ibiza/Barcelona or Las Vegas... not sure yet. Each round will have different beers to collect.... Double Maxim, Brown Ale, Peroni... etc... keeping in with the location.

There'll be special Kebab and Garlic sauce rounds as well.
Very nice! I remember racing up the Penshaw monument, tough run that was!

Double maxim is a nice beer too!

But not restart an argument in this thread : how are you going to do the photo to 8-bit backgrounds (without it looking too digitized)?

Have you thought about location specific enemies (e.g. Lambtom worms for Penshaw ), or memory restrictions too much?
Old 05 March 2018, 21:07   #100
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
Have you thought about location specific enemies (e.g. Lambtom worms for Penshaw )
Dare I ask? what the heck is a Lambtom worm?