English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 April 2017, 00:52   #1
Vaninna

Crash to black screen and floppy goes bad

I've been struggling my way through Eye of the Beholder. While constantly getting black screens and then a non working floppy (the save disk!) (sometimes combined with guru meditation) I have managed to play all the way down to the Beholder by cycling multiple save disks (disk 2).

I'd be happy if I could get rid of this problem.

My setup is: a500 with switchable 512k expansion and switchable 1.3 or 2.0 kickstart. Plus an external floppy drive. Only kick 1.3 seems to work with the game.
The game floppies comes from the tosec collection where I have tried multiple versions. Most of them seems to work. One image had a bootblock virus, but I have double checked my game disks with virus software and they seem fine.
I tried to use 2HD floppies but disks went bad all the time so I guessed that that was the problem. But now I am using only DD floppies and it still happens.

Does someone have an idea of what is happening here?

:/
Old 02 April 2017, 06:09   #2
idrougge

Perhaps your disk drive is bad.
Old 02 April 2017, 07:51   #3
ptyerman

Try giving the floppy drive heads a good clean with some isopropyl alcohol or tape head cleaner or similar. If it still happens after that it sounds like something has gone bad, try reseating all the chips and check for corrosion on the motherboard.
Old 02 April 2017, 13:51   #4
Vaninna

Thanks. I have never figured out how to reach and clean the drive heads without removing one of them. Once I removed one of them and could not make them aligned again by myself.

By reseating all the chips means pulling out everything that can be pulled out of its socket, on the motherboard? Then I would spray with electronic cleaner to get rid of corrosion?

Edit: can I assume that those disks are destroyed permanently? Could this happen due to a bootblock virus?
Old 02 April 2017, 21:00   #5
ptyerman

You don't have to remove the drive heads, you can use a q-tip/ cotton bud to wipe them down with or even kitchen towel if your careful.
You can also get floppy drive cleaning disks like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Computer-3...0AAOSw2GlXIDQ9.
Shop around though, you can get them much cheaper.
Don't take the chips out the sockets, just press down on them to make sure they're seated properly, any corrosion on the motherboard from leaking capacitors etc. will be apparent just by looking at the board carefully.