English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 March 2021, 21:13   #1
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Hints for organizing asm-code?

I'm poking through a very old and big (17,000 rows) asm-project of mine. I want to split up different parts to different files to "include". I'm pretty sure none of the included files will compile on it's own (since they most likely needs variables/stuff from other parts).
Not entirely sure how I should do this, but I'm after some hints and tips here. How are you guys organizing your "projects"?
I'm using Asm-One btw if that matters.

Thanks in advance
Old 22 March 2021, 22:58   #2
roondar

I tend to split my files by functionality and if this still leads to files that are too big, I split up further. So for example, I might have a graphics.asm but if that gets too big, I might have a blitter.asm and a sprites.asm.

Structure definitions, constants, macros etc I tend to put in .i files (along with external references).
Old 24 March 2021, 07:17   #3
Geijer
Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
I'm poking through a very old and big (17,000 rows) asm-project of mine. I want to split up different parts to different files to "include". I'm pretty sure none of the included files will compile on it's own (since they most likely needs variables/stuff from other parts).
Not entirely sure how I should do this, but I'm after some hints and tips here. How are you guys organizing your "projects"?
I'm using Asm-One btw if that matters.

Thanks in advance
If you use a linker you can use XDEF/XREF to access variables/stuff in other files but that requires a linker and Asm-One doesn't have one built in (I have moved to Makefiles and vasm/vlink for larger projects).

I usally break out parts of the code that I feel is stabel and I'm finished with. If you use "include" there is no problem with accessing stuff in other files, just keep the include statement in the same place as the code was that is to be included.

Data I almost always keep in separate files in a "assets" subdir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I tend to split my files by functionality and if this still leads to files that are too big, I split up further. So for example, I might have a graphics.asm but if that gets too big, I might have a blitter.asm and a sprites.asm.

Structure definitions, constants, macros etc I tend to put in .i files (along with external references).
Do you use "include" or a linker to "join" the code?
Old 24 March 2021, 11:23   #4
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geijer View Post
Do you use "include" or a linker to "join" the code?
Yeah, I do use a linker (and makefiles).
My weapons of choice are vasm, vlink and the version of make made by the same author.
Old 12 April 2021, 23:41   #5
VladR

I simply use Notepad++ and use block folding feature (open/close). The ASM file is preprocessed by my own parser before I feed it into vasm/vlink.

This way, a 10,000-line file can be viewed fully folded on a single screen and I only zoom [on demand] into parts that require my attention. Definitely beats switching between 50 files (been there, done that, thanks but no thanks )