English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 26 December 2013, 21:28   #1
palaste

FS-UAE questions

I have found that FS-UAE for Linux emulates the Amiga faster than E-UAE, and is capable of full-screen emulation and state saving too, something that E-UAE isn't.

But I still have some questions:
- FS-UAE mounts my hard disk directories only as device names (hd0: through hd3, not as volume names. Therefore, when the emulation starts, I get a System Request asking me to insert volume WorkBench: in any drive, because the hard disk partition hd0: has the volume name WorkBench:, but FS-UAE doesn't understand it. Is there any way to use volume names in FS-UAE? E-UAE handles this OK.
- When I press F12 to bring up the run-time menu, I can only browse it with the keyboard. The mouse remains only in use as the emulated Amiga mouse. This is a full desktop PC with a real mouse, people. Not a PlayStation with a hand-held gamepad controller. Why can't I use the mouse to access the menu?
- I have a widescreen monitor, so when FS-UAE starts, it fits the Amiga screen to the fullscreen window, distorting the aspect ratio. I can fix this in the run-time menu, but is there any way to have it set as default?
Old 26 December 2013, 21:32   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
- FS-UAE mounts my hard disk directories only as device names (hd0: through hd3, not as volume names. Therefore, when the emulation starts, I get a System Request asking me to insert volume WorkBench: in any drive, because the hard disk partition hd0: has the volume name WorkBench:, but FS-UAE doesn't understand it. Is there any way to use volume names in FS-UAE? E-UAE handles this OK.
I'm not sure, but this might be worth a try: http://fs-uae.net/options#hard_drive_0_label
Old 26 December 2013, 21:43   #3
palaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I'm not sure, but this might be worth a try: http://fs-uae.net/options#hard_drive_0_label
No, this doesn't work as I'd like. It also changes the device names, so I get System Requests asking me to insert volume hd0: in any drive. FS-UAE appears entirely ignorant of the difference between device names and volume names, thinking they're one and the same. There is no way in FS-UAE to have the same drive labelled as both the device hd0: and the volume WorkBench:.
I did find a way to have the fixed aspect ratio as default, though. I simply have to add "keep_aspect = 1" to the configuration file.
Old 26 December 2013, 22:49   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Why can't I use the mouse to access the menu?
Simply because I haven't had time to prioritize it (or to put it another way, other features have been made instead). There isn't a secret plot to keep you from using your mouse

Quote:
FS-UAE appears entirely ignorant of the difference between device names and volume names, thinking they're one and the same.
No, this isn't true, but hard drives are added with the device names DH0, DH1, etc -not HD0, HD1, etc.
Old 26 December 2013, 23:14   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

As a quick fix if you need HD0:, why not use ASSIGN to alias HD0: to either DH0: or Workbench:...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 26 December 2013 at 23:21.
Old 28 December 2013, 23:30   #6
palaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
As a quick fix if you need HD0:, why not use ASSIGN to alias HD0: to either DH0: or Workbench:...
I could simply edit the S:Startup-Sequence to do the assigning (perhaps even using the program Assigner, which I wrote myself when my real Amiga still worked, it is capable of assigning multiple names to the same volume/directory in one go, based on a text file), but does the S:Startup-Sequence execute before WorkBench loads its preferences? If not, then it will still prompt me to insert volume WorkBench: in any drive.
I don't know why my real Amiga hard disk partitions had the device names HD0: through HD3: instead of DH0: through DH3:, but I never found a way to change them, and they're used in too many places now to change them all.

As a further question, when I press PrtSc during FS-UAE emulation, FS-UAE says it has saved a screenshot. Yes, but saved it where? Fedora 17 Linux natively saves a screenshot in my home directory when I press PrtSc, but FS-UAE seems to grab the keypress and use its own screenshot routine instead.
Old 29 December 2013, 13:38   #7
jbl007

Quote:
does the S:Startup-Sequence execute before WorkBench loads its preferences?
If you do the assigns very early right after setpatch, why not?

Quote:
I don't know why my real Amiga hard disk partitions had the device names HD0: through HD3: instead of DH0: through DH3:
That's something I'd like to know as well. My Amiga back in the days had HDx:, but some seem to have DHx. I don't know why. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Quote:
when I press PrtSc during FS-UAE emulation, FS-UAE says it has saved a screenshot. Yes, but saved it where?
Usually to ~/Desktop. See here: http://fs-uae.net/options#screenshots_output_dir
Old 18 October 2015, 02:39   #8
lexlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
That's something I'd like to know as well. My Amiga back in the days had HDx:, but some seem to have DHx. I don't know why. Maybe someone can enlighten us.
I know this is rather a late reply, but I'm hoping that someone is still watching this thread!

I remember that on my Amiga 1200, I could set the device name of hard drive partitions in HDToolBox. A little hunting around the web revealed this article:

http://lclevy.free.fr/adflib/adf_info.html#p6

... about the ADF format. They also discuss the Amiga RDB ('Rigid Disk Block'). It turns out that hard drive device names are set in the partition structure, pointed to by the RDB 'PartitionList' field. 'DriveName' is the name of the device.

Lex