English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 October 2018, 17:48   #1
alphagemini

Solid state hard drive life

If a solid state hard drive is in constant daily use, how long would it last before
it gave up the ghost?

Does constant data filing and retrieval eventually wear it out?

thanks for any help
Old 27 October 2018, 17:58   #2
Daedalus

There's plenty of information out there on it, and the answer is "it depends". Yes, they will wear out, but depending on the technology used, that could be after a few thousand writes, or a few million. Retrieval doesn't really wear it out, it's the writing that wears out flash storage, and even then, you need to write to the same area repeatedly to cause problems. Flash is arranged into cells which are usually several KB in size, and if you modify any file that takes up any part of a cell, the entire cell has to be erased and rewritten.

To get around this, most modern flash storage uses "wear levelling", which rearranges the cell layout at a firmware level (transparently to the host computer) in order to prevent certain cells being worn out before the rest of them. As a result of this, you would really have to be going to town on the file writes to cause an issue before such a time as the drive would be replaced for capacity reasons anyway.
Old 27 October 2018, 18:04   #3
DH
Global Moderator

It all depends on chip type, write and delete procedures, amongst other factors like component expense etc. So it can be very varied depending on what you pay. The below link should help but in all honesty there's no accurate lifespan as some of it is dependant on its usage.

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-...-to-take-care/

Last edited by DH; 27 October 2018 at 20:39.
Old 27 October 2018, 19:19   #4
alphagemini

My HD has 1600k data points entered and erased multiple times every day. It seems that the Amiga wasn't really designed for this. The hard drive looks so thin and flimsy. I have been using mine for a year and I think its going.
Old 27 October 2018, 22:01   #5
Daedalus

The Amiga itself does very little reading and writing - there's nothing in the background that writes to the drive unless you put it there. So unless you are using software that gives it that sort of use, an SSD is likely to last for a very long time indeed. It doesn't support some more modern OS features that help with SSD life, but at the same time a modern OS will write gigabytes to the drive every day.

If your HD is an SSD and has decent wear levelling, 1.6 million data points probably isn't that big a deal. It's likely written in chunks via a write cache (though not really if you're talking about in an Amiga), and will be spread around the different cells of the drive such that the same cells are only used every few days at most.
Old 27 October 2018, 22:37   #6
alphagemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The Amiga itself does very little reading and writing - there's nothing in the background that writes to the drive unless you put it there. So unless you are using software that gives it that sort of use, an SSD is likely to last for a very long time indeed. It doesn't support some more modern OS features that help with SSD life, but at the same time a modern OS will write gigabytes to the drive every day.

If your HD is an SSD and has decent wear levelling, 1.6 million data points probably isn't that big a deal. It's likely written in chunks via a write cache (though not really if you're talking about in an Amiga), and will be spread around the different cells of the drive such that the same cells are only used every few days at most.
Thanks for the detailed info. I use the 1200 for number crunching. I wrote software decades ago which runs perfectly well on the A1200 with a math coprocessor. I should repeat it all on a modern machine and language, but I guess I'm very lazy!

thanks again
Old 28 October 2018, 02:08   #7
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagemini View Post
Thanks for the detailed info. I use the 1200 for number crunching. I wrote software decades ago which runs perfectly well on the A1200 with a math coprocessor. I should repeat it all on a modern machine and language, but I guess I'm very lazy!

thanks again
What kind of number crunching, if i might ask?

Not relevant to your OP but just curious?
Old 28 October 2018, 09:10   #8
alphagemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
What kind of number crunching, if i might ask?

Not relevant to your OP but just curious?
The answer would be too complex for a public forum, and quite boring probably.

My 1200 no longer puts out video via SCART, so it has to go to the vet.

Thanks for your help
Old 28 October 2018, 15:16   #9
project23
Used Register

No bother! My BSc is mathematics which is why I asked.

But you're right about it being inappropriate for this forum.

Regards,

John