English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 30 September 2013, 09:19   #41
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
yup, providing they aren't fake CF cards are really cheap now so they are definitely worth buying a couple.
So the one ive got in my 600 will work no problem in this board your selling its just i was thinking will it work in a 500+ as its been formatted for the 600
Old 30 September 2013, 16:02   #42
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
No, I don't mean no rewiring, I mean no soldering.

But why would the led need to be socketed to achieve this? The led is currently connected to some pins on the motherboard with a wire, right? Am I thinking in the wrong direction if an extra wire would run from the ram/ide board and connect it to the current led-wire? Something with a Y-cable? Or just an extension cable, in which case the drive led would only show CF activity, no floppy drive activity.

And if that's going to be a hassle, just a simple connector would also be nice. I can scrounge up an extra led from an old pc case without trouble.

Ah well, just a thought.
The activity LED for the CF card is actually on the board itself. The bad thing about this is that once the case is closed you cant see if there is HDD activity and if you turn off the Amiga while it is doing a write then it can cause file corruption and then have to go through the disk validation which we all love. If people want, i can remove the activity LED from the board and provide a LED on a wire so the LED can be placed anywhere they want.
Old 30 September 2013, 21:42   #43
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
"Your request is ... unlikely." (c) Spock.
I take it back, Jiffy!

Oh wait, it was Spock who said that. Never mind.

kipper2k: Yeah, something like on the old harddisk interfaces, a header on the board and a normal PC case style LED can be attached. I don't mind a normal one though, send ASAP!! Hehe

(But what are the two holes next to the CF slot? Looks like a strategic point for a LED header to me!)
Old 30 September 2013, 21:53   #44
demolition
Unregistered User

I think the original floppy LED could be replaced by two separate LEDs as the PCB has pads for two. Just need to do a little trace cutting and rewiring and it should be working and looking decent (provided you can find LEDs 1/2 width of the original one).

But I like the glue way as well, looks more original.
Old 30 September 2013, 21:58   #45
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
So the one ive got in my 600 will work no problem in this board your selling its just i was thinking will it work in a 500+ as its been formatted for the 600
It should work fine if you have nothing super special in your startup - if they both have the same (or higher) kickstart version as WB version. I have one CF card with WB 3.1+ClassicWB that works on all my Amigas in signature, with my special commands to handle "accelerator on/off".

If you have WB 2.06(?),2.1, 3.0 or 3.1 you can definitely make it work fine on both with some startup work

Edit: oh, you didn't format it yourself, you wanted to use a bought installed one from E*ay? Then the seller should be able to answer that, if you give him your kickstart versions. But even then, it's possible - if you are familiar with startup sequence work.

Last edited by Photon; 30 September 2013 at 22:12.
Old 30 September 2013, 22:07   #46
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think the original floppy LED could be replaced by two separate LEDs as the PCB has pads for two. Just need to do a little trace cutting and rewiring and it should be working and looking decent (provided you can find LEDs 1/2 width of the original one).

But I like the glue way as well, looks more original.
Yep, two smaller rectangular leds fit in the slit, with a tiny gap in between, IIRC. The 2x5mm ones f.ex. here.

Friendly tip, stay away from the blue ones, they will annoy the H3LL out of you Had to put black tape over the one in my A600

There... SHOULD be multicolor ones that exactly replace the Amiga ones. But finding them...
Old 30 September 2013, 22:12   #47
kipper2k

Quote:

(But what are the two holes next to the CF slot? Looks like a strategic point for a LED header to me!)

The 2 pin header is 5v and ground pads.. It can serve a few purposes... out of the Amiga programming power supply, a header for a power LED and my favourite... a header to provide a power point for dual boot ROM
Old 01 October 2013, 01:24   #48
luy32

hi Kipper
maybe silly , but, would any CF work here ? or only the cf s that are meant for hdd ?
Old 01 October 2013, 01:36   #49
Photon

See the CF threads for that I think, I'm pretty sure kipper2k's IDE is no different from all other IDEs. And when in doubt, buy Sandisk Extreme III 2GB. And don't buy from E*ay, it's full of relabeled crap cards.
Old 01 October 2013, 01:39   #50
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by luy32 View Post
hi Kipper
maybe silly , but, would any CF work here ? or only the cf s that are meant for hdd ?
if the CF card is formatted for Amiga, then it will work, a store bought CF card is normally formatted fat32 so it would need to be formatted using workbench. There are probably a few ways of doing this
Old 01 October 2013, 02:16   #51
psygnosis

Quote:
It should work fine if you have nothing super special in your startup - if they both have the same (or higher) kickstart version as WB version. I have one CF card with WB 3.1+ClassicWB that works on all my Amigas in signature, with my special commands to handle "accelerator on/off".

If you have WB 2.06(?),2.1, 3.0 or 3.1 you can definitely make it work fine on both with some startup work

Edit: oh, you didn't format it yourself, you wanted to use a bought installed one from E*ay? Then the seller should be able to answer that, if you give him your kickstart versions. But even then, it's possible - if you are familiar with startup sequence work.
superb cheers bud
Old 01 October 2013, 08:34   #52
TjLaZer

Again, (don't know why my question is being ignored over and over again)

The AdIDE board had a solution to add a single wire to the motherboard to provide the HD activity LED on the floppy drive LED. Can't this be done here???
Old 01 October 2013, 08:55   #53
jiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
If people want, i can remove the activity LED from the board and provide a LED on a wire so the LED can be placed anywhere they want.
That would be very nice.

Don't make to much fuss about it, though. Just a header to which I can connect a cable plus led scrounged from any old pc would do nicely.

Last edited by jiffy; 01 October 2013 at 13:15.
Old 01 October 2013, 09:48   #54
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

From what I remember the LED activity is provided by just wiring pin 39 of the IDE connector plus ground to a LED.
I guess simply wiring the +LED signal from kipper2k's adapter to the floppy +LED could suffice but I can't be sure nor tried it.

One solution could be mounting a LED from kipper2k's adapter via hotglue or glue to the floppy LED. That way HD LED blink, the Floppy LED would also blink as well (as it's semitransparent)
No alteration, no wiring and totally reversible mod.
Old 07 October 2013, 17:24   #55
AmigaMan79

Hi there can I please get one of these too.

Old 09 October 2013, 17:04   #56
mistermsk

kipper2k,

Can you put me down for an 8 meg version, please?

Thank you.
Old 09 October 2013, 20:11   #57
Turran

I will need another as well. I already signed up for one, which is now two =)
Old 10 October 2013, 02:56   #58
kipper2k

Thanks,

I'm logging all the requests, i'll get on them as soon as i get home .
Old 10 October 2013, 04:29   #59
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Again, (don't know why my question is being ignored over and over again)

The AdIDE board had a solution to add a single wire to the motherboard to provide the HD activity LED on the floppy drive LED. Can't this be done here???
Can someone please answer this question.
Old 10 October 2013, 12:31   #60
kipper2k

Long answer, The activity LED is fed 5v from the 5v rail and the turning on/off is controlled by the LED- signal of the 9572 (pin 33). This means that the state of this pin will control whether the LED is on or off.

Short answer, it needs 2 wires that allows remote placement of the LED by a 2 wire extension, I will provide one for people. or an LED can be placed on the board. (i will check out the LED block to see if it can tie in to the Amiga existing LED)

Last edited by kipper2k; 10 October 2013 at 14:14.