English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 August 2020, 04:12   #1
Lektroid

Happy Intellivision Amico

Ok, maybe not Amiga news, but certainly retro gaming news, which is why most of us are here, isn't it?

I just stumbled upon the Amico special event on Youtube which was aired a few days ago, and surprised to see no mention of it here on the forum, at least when I did a search for "Amico", nothing came up...

This looks like an awesome console with a totally retro vibe, which I'm sure many here will be interested to see...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 August 2020, 11:42   #2
dreadnought

When I've first heard about it, it sounded like an interesting idea - 2D focused console with strong retro roots.
But now that we've actually seen the design and games, there's nothing enticing about it for me. I don't get the "retro vibe" at all - the console itself looks very bland, like something you'd find in the bathroom or kitchen. Worse yet, all the games I've seen so far (maybe with exception of Breakout) look totally insipid too, no different from zillion others already made in Unity or available on Android.

They are aiming for casual market, and some die hard Intellivision fans, but I belong to neither camps. With that 250USD price tag they might struggle a bit even with that wide demographic.
Old 17 August 2020, 14:41   #3
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I`ve liked the look of this since I first saw it. I love the idea of local multiplayer, games costing $10 ish and the 'just' fun aspect of the games I`ve seen.
Old 02 June 2022, 19:07   #4
number6

@thread

As of today Intellivision has failed to file either a SOU (statement of use) or requested a 6 month extension to show a statement of use for the following trademarks:
Intellivision Prism
Intellivision Amico

uspto documentation indicates except in rare cases of oversight, this failure to respond becomes a step in the "abandonment" process.

2 other trademarks have their due date for response coming shortly.

Old 02 June 2022, 20:34   #5
Sgt Jack V

I was skeptical at first because it reminded me of the Coleco Chameleon and out the minute they announced Earthworm Jim 4 with Doug TenNapel's involvement because I didn't want my money going anywhere near that freak

I later enjoyed watching it snowball into absolute madness and garbage with Tallarico saying stupid things on Twitter and the eventual announcement that NFTs would be involved
Old 02 June 2022, 21:06   #6
dreadnought

Oh, no, not this trainwreck again I was quite happy when it got purged from AtariAge, because it was indeed spiralling into madness, with both full-time trolls on one side and TT zealots on the other.
Old 08 July 2023, 05:11   #7
Pyromania

This still has not shipped and there's an almost 4 hour documentary about it. Looks like Tommy is no longer part of the project. I watched the whole doc, gripping! Makes the Amiga drama look a little less bad. Just a little less.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Pyromania; 08 July 2023 at 05:39.
Old 08 July 2023, 15:56   #8
CCCP alert

You can't just take old games and apply browser based flash gaming style audio visual quality and proclaim it is somehow 'back to the good old days'.

The only way now I want Asteroids updated is to have it in PS5 real time ray traced quality flying round a 3D asteroid field like Hans Solo in the Millennium Falcon etc, I don't really care for these sort of watered down graphics myself. YMMV.

I hope slope's game room has improved his channel, last video of his I watched he spent 5 minutes talking about some game but had completely the wrong game's footage
Old 08 July 2023, 20:16   #9
Pyromania

Amico’s new slogan should 2016 technology at 2030 prices. Their current price is way too close to Switch and PS4 territory. And they still have no ship date. Eve the A1222 will bear then to market and it had way less funding and publicity.