English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 July 2008, 16:25   #1
dword

What memory upgrades would you recommend for an amiga 1200?

Hiya Im just doing some reading into memory upgrades for the amiga 1200 but I haqve never fitted memory in an amiga so I dont know where it goes. I actually figured the amiga was limited to a few meg but I can see there are 256MB+ memory. I want to be able to run all demanding games with no lag so Im just curious exactly what I would need to buy i.e exact types and amounts of memory+ any adaptors needed?

I feel much better that I have verified my amiga 1200 as working so Im happy to invest some more cash in it. I dont want to end up buying memory and find out its not enough but also I dont want to buy too much and it cause problems, I have also read that having over a certain amount of memory disables the PCMCIA slot on the side which I need for the adf software

If I can find just enough memory to make everything run great that would be awsome , Im trying to be ecconomic but not to the point where its false ecconomy so Im just curious as to what people think I should do memory wise since I have no clue of how the amiga memory works yet

I am just reading various things as I understand it ram goes in the bott6om of the amiga, theres a square piece of plastic, when I remove this that leaves a hole and inside there is like a flat sticking out bit with one cut in it, I have old sim ram but that wouldnt fit and looking into it all I think I need some kind of board which sits in the underside hole and connects to the one connection, then when the biard is connected I think I use a normal simm memory module?

I think I may in the mean time use the adf software to backup my workbench disks and see if its possible to install the amiga OS on a PC , Im sure I read something about doing that on some gentoo page, Im not sure if it requires an amiga hard disk or if theres a way I can just format an ide or sata disk with the amiga filesystem . I figure if I did it this way I have as close as I can get to an amiga OS on a PC with more speed and will save me alot of cash , at least until I know more about what I need. Im not even sure if anything Im saying is possible , so any information on this is appreciated. (I dont want to bother the amiga kit guys again for a while lol as they have had to answer lots of querys etc but I am getting it together now )

Thanks again

Last edited by dword; 17 July 2008 at 17:07.
Old 17 July 2008, 17:05   #2
Leffmann

If you want to play those few really demanding games smoothly (the majority of games run perfectly on the stock machines) then you are foremost in need of a faster CPU, and so you will want to get an accelerator card fitted with a faster CPU as well as slots for memory upgrades. The accelerator cards are fitted in the trap door underneath the A1200. Some cards can be fitted with an FPU and SCSI interfaces if needed.

I've only ever used the Blizzard 1230 and 1260 accelerator cards myself, but found them to be excellent.
Old 17 July 2008, 17:31   #3
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I recommend 32MB or 64MB
Old 17 July 2008, 17:49   #4
dword

Thanks all , yeah elite seems to run perfectly on the emu anyway and it does run on the a1200 so at least I can use the a1200 to get past any bugs and stuff. I also THINK I seen those blizzard cards on amiga kits site, either way it looks like I will have to wait for upgrades but Im am unsure of whether to put a new cpu and memory in my stock a1200 or maybe a long time down the line just see how much a full build of an amiga with a big tower and absolutely everything in it would cost(if amigakit does that)

Thats good to know most stock games are good and it makes sense alite 2 would run like that because it was very innovative in its day! Really appreciate all the reply since I would rather know at tyhe outset what I will need for a respectable spec.

Everythings still good but is amigaOS worth getting and installing on a PC?> or is winuae effectivly doing the same thing? Its just I figured if I could get more or less stock amiga OS on a PC I have the best of all world + I have 4 or 5 setup PCs in the house , even though its me paying for it all the family is sometimes on my case about my PC obsession thats why I like to get everything in one foul swoop . If theres no real benefit to amigaOS then I will just stick to things as they are. No matter what though this has been an experiance! and the adf software is very very good its just I think I will need to throw more money at the problem until Im completely content! [Seen someone saying that on the forum, very true ]

I found something on this forum which I think is along the lines I am suggesting, just so you know I am looking into it all, not just asking stuff for askings sake and out of lazyness to read, Im also pretty competant in linux specifically gentoo and ubuntu and other so if I get the correct docs Im hoping I should be fine

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...634&forum=8&28
Old 17 July 2008, 17:53   #5
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dword View Post
I think I may in the mean time use the adf software to backup my workbench disks and see if its possible to install the amiga OS on a PC , Im sure I read something about doing that on some gentoo page, Im not sure if it requires an amiga hard disk or if theres a way I can just format an ide or sata disk with the amiga filesystem . I figure if I did it this way I have as close as I can get to an amiga OS on a PC with more speed and will save me alot of cash , at least until I know more about what I need.
Unless you really want to have the real thing; have you tried running WinUAE in full screen mode? It's free, faster than any real Amiga, and you can definitely get used to it
Old 17 July 2008, 18:09   #6
dword

Yeah Leff

The reason I tried Elite 2 on the Amiga was because I thought the controls were wrong but as it turns out they were perfect and WinUAE was running it perfect so I will probably just use winuae to play it.

In reality its been worth getting an amiga to keep myself right and I dont mind paying for things if they are quality. This in mind the adf software is very good.

I was going to get all the upgrades but Im just toying with the idea at the momment especially since winuae has run everything Ive tried and the Amiga hardware quite expensive when it all gets added up. I should have known better from building PCs i.e setting it up is one thing, getting it to work beyond slow speed is another thing entirely. I still think it would be nice to get that amigaOS working on a PC since my PCs are fast enough to handle anything on the amiga assuming the amigaOS is going to be able to cope with my PCs, I dunno I just like the Idea of the real thing with PC speed , that way I aint paying in some cases over the odds for what are becomming collectors items. Ive just been on the phone to a friend and I think he may have the amiga forever package but maybe hes getting mixed up, if he does have it I may see if its possible to install a real amiga os on a pc. This is as much for educvation as anything else and I am competant at least when it comes to gentoo/ubuntu and other linux distros

Hopefully through time I will find someone whos run a real amiga OS on a PC. It would be fun to try [Still I agree WinUAE is brilliant , now that I have the real amiga and can remember more about it as I use it I can see how much of a quality product winuae is, a sheer stroke of community orientated brilliance!]
Old 17 July 2008, 18:22   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you have no fast RAM at all then maybe a simple RAM upgrade would be your first buy. If it is not good enough then you can always sell it on at no loss.

You should be able to pick one up for around £20-£30 (which IMHO is still a lot!) with 4 or 8Mbytes of RAM.

Having any fast RAM makes the Amiga run better.

Last edited by alexh; 17 July 2008 at 18:32.
Old 17 July 2008, 20:15   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
hi dword you are confusing me by saying you want to install/run a real amiga OS on a PC
then you say you are running winuae which is`t the only way to run ami OS on a pc but is probably one of the easiest if not best way of doing it
another way is Amithlon which is ami OS on a X86 platform (has a realy sad story to it)
and thers a linux based one whose name excapes me at the moment

the thing is at best amiga stuff is late 90`s technology and we all would like are computers run as fast/best as they can but time moves on and things change
just try remember what win95/98 was like and what hardware you had to run these os`s on why i don`t knwo just wrote it out and now..........

if you can, do what alexh suggest`s first as you can always get an accelerator later, which is something i always wanted but never had. Just a plain A1200 with an 8meg expansion did me proud for many years.
Old 17 July 2008, 21:21   #9
twizzle

dword,
just to put you in the picture, a blizzard 030 mk1v 50mhz acellerator, will usualy sell for around the £90 mark
Old 17 July 2008, 21:31   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

definitely a blizz 030/50mhz with 32mb is enough for everything that includes proper trouble-free gaming
Old 17 July 2008, 21:48   #11
dword

Big grin

At least I know I guess , will be aq long while before I can do that as Im going to uni in september and I am paying my fees but its good to know the prices in advance. I will try and keep an eye on ebay as well but I will be making sure it says "Good condition" . Still though I really hope that the emulation goes from strength to strength because being a person that pays out for fast hardware where the justifications is speed and efficiancy it kinda goes against the grain putting out lots of cash for technically inferior stuff. (Its all good though and I was prepared to put the money out its just to get an amiga that runs well I didnt quite expect quite so much) The one and only thing I can 100% say is worth the money and is a fair price is the ADF software & null modem & cf flash card - maybe Im just like that because there are a couple of things not 100% with the amiga I bought(Still useable but still)

Im actually just backing up(well trying to ) my workbench disks atm . Im thinking about going on elite 2 tonight , keep putting it of to see how I can wangle the finances to get some more stuff butI better just content myself hehe

Away to chill
Old 24 November 2008, 02:52   #12
JACK98

where can you buy ram for A1200?.talking about ordinary trapdoor ram.tried ebay.not much there

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 20:22.
Old 24 November 2008, 05:38   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@JACK98

have you tried www.amibay.com ?

you can post a wanted add
Old 24 November 2008, 10:50   #14
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
where can you buy ram for A1200?,talking about ordinary trapdoor ram,tried ebay,not much there
PM sent via AmiBay.

Dave G