English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 30 May 2010, 23:01   #1
Leandro Jardim

Stick out tongue Genlock emulator

I would suggest a DirectShow Filter to superimpose the output of WinUAE over the video currently playing (all in realtime, of course).
Old 01 June 2010, 22:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Right.. Whats the point?
Old 01 June 2010, 22:39   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I could see this being a "cool" feature...not a priority to do anytime soon but something to put on the back burner for when you're bored with fixing bugs and stuff, and want to do something "fun". It would be kinda cool to play around with old software like Broadcast Titler 2 and actually be able to superimpose the graphics over video. I agree, however, that "cool" is not, in and of itself, a good reason to implement a feature.
Old 02 June 2010, 01:57   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Right.. Whats the point?
Exactly my thoughts.
It's not even cool. It's totally pointless.
Old 02 June 2010, 12:12   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only genlock related feature that will be implemented someday is CD32 FMV cartridge (it uses genlocking internally for video)

(someday = when I get CD32 FMV cartridge + unknown number of days + bonus random number of days)
Old 02 June 2010, 12:53   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Just 2 more years then heheheh

indeed one of the strong points of the amiga was its close tie in with video formats

a cool feature yes, essential no, would I like to see it definitely
Old 02 June 2010, 13:45   #7
Hewitson

Personally I'd hate to see it.

It'd be nice if people let Toni work on the things that actually need doing, instead of useless features that are going to do nothing but add bloat.
Old 02 June 2010, 17:39   #8
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I'd like to see it too, but not anytime soon. If it showed up in the next week, I'd think "why did he take time out from improving the emulator to do this?". If it showed up a few years from now when there isn't as much accuracy to be improved on, then I'd think "oh, cool".
Old 02 June 2010, 23:05   #9
Leandro Jardim

I am sorry, I hate to say, but I not think so. Before Amiga had access to Internet, and before we had a chance to buy a chunky-pixel video boards... Amiga was worldwidely knew by its low cost video features. People around the world was using the Amiga software along with hardwares like genlocks and the Video Toaster to do video work, which with machines like Macintosh and PC was very expensive or simply impossible. The machine has a vast collection of software to do video titling and graphics, MUCH better and of better quality than its games collection... The games of the Amiga were much worse than of consoles like Mega Drive and Super Nintendo. And while chindren like us were using the Amiga at that time for playing bad games, professionals at that time were using the amiga for video work and promoting the superior quality of our machines. Bet what is better... What I meant to say, is if we are trying to expose the UAE only like a virtual machine for playing games and browsing the Internet, which is very, very ingenuous if we really want UAE be a work to live forever, after when all Amiga machines die or worse, even when all its users die... the UAE team should promote other uses for it, because nobody will want to play games forever for the entire life. WinUAE would be a wonderful substitute for software like AviSynth and Amiga has already all the software for it. I simply do not believe there are no plans for it.

Besides what I said, it was only a suggestion, and sure, this sort of thing cannot be built immediately, but I guess this is a place to give... suggestions! So it should not hurt, at least not "immediately".
Old 03 June 2010, 00:59   #10
Amiga1992

Get an Amiga with a video toaster, for crying out loud.
WinUAE is not for games, it is an Amiga emulator.
And the Amiga is not a superior machine anymore. Get up to speed with the years, it's 2010.
Quote:
nobody will want to play games forever for the entire life
And nobody will want to use a shitty Amiga genlock nowadays with much better options to do so. Your point is moot.

And before you even think about it, I make music and graphics with my Amiga (real computer) still nowadays, so I am not talking from a nostalgia/retro/videogame point of view, I am talking from a realistic, contemporary point of view.
Old 03 June 2010, 01:45   #11
Leandro Jardim

If my point is moot, why we are using WinUAE at first place? Why we are giving support for the creator of WinUAE even when he responds agressively to us? And why you are using an Amiga to make music, if it is not a superior machine anymore? Only to see a few Amigans hear your music, right? Well this is the reason why I am "crying", like you even said!

Using an emulator or an real Amiga, not matters. The only reason to support an emulator would be to one day it behaves like a real machine. Toni probably wants only to learn with it and be a better programmer someday and its a right of her, I am not here to force he to work for me. But even so we do not have the obligation to hear he respond agressively to us when we talk here. We do not know how he thinks and do not matters for us. For this same reason a bit of respect would be good.

Sorry guys, I do not want to fight, I only went to give a single suggestion.
Would be better if suggestions were accepted here so.
Old 03 June 2010, 02:10   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You already got your answer anyway. Of course you can suggest a feature, but you also should accept if it's rejected.
Oh and it's 'him' not 'her'
Old 03 June 2010, 02:56   #13
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
One way to avoid pitfalls such as having your thread(s) pw'nd when requesting a feature is using the search function, Leandro. Genlock is something a miggy needs for display purposes but a PC uses a different set of tricks, AFAIU.

May be it would have been more appropriate to request an additional video filter to obtain the desired effect and not mention Genlock at all (you may still ask a mod to change your topic title hopefully).
Old 03 June 2010, 10:37   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Genlock is not Amiga chipset specific, it is nothing more than boring analog video switch. (2 inputs, electronic switch that gets per-Amiga pixel switching signal from Amiga RGB video output, 1 output)

Emulating anything analog is difficult and annoying (sync problems, jitter etc.. needs special handling)

Emulation for me is always retro first. It was never meant to be any kind of "new Amiga".
Old 03 June 2010, 14:07   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
the games of the Amiga were much worse than of consoles like Mega Drive and Super Nintendo.
Yeah, right. As if.
Old 03 June 2010, 19:15   #16
Leandro Jardim

People, I really really sorry for all I wrote, mainly to Toni. Toni was not even the person I wanted to criticise. Everybody have the rights to reject my suggestion, but do not need to crush me. I love WinUAE and the work of Toni and I would be glad to help him, and because of this, I want to give suggestions and bug reports, if I think they exists. Even so, I understand the implications of it and all the hard work behind a video filter for DirectShow, and know this is not easy.

But do not worry, people, I am not angry no more.
Thanks TheCyberDruid, your help with English helps a lot!
Old 03 June 2010, 19:47   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Thanks TheCyberDruid, your help with English helps a lot!
You are welcome Don't get me wrong, it's good that you suggest new features, so if you notice something just post about it and hear what Toni thinks
Old 03 June 2010, 19:57   #18
Leandro Jardim

Ok CyberDruid! I understood!
Old 03 June 2010, 19:59   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
If my point is moot, why we are using WinUAE at first place? Why we are giving support for the creator of WinUAE even when he responds agressively to us? And why you are using an Amiga to make music, if it is not a superior machine anymore?
One by one:
- WinUAE is an amazing tool, in my case, for prototyping computer setups before loading them on my real machine. I can also try software fast before transferring to the real thing. It's VERY USEFUL.

- This is why Toni Wilen gets our support. He has made the most complete Amiga emulator EVER, (and one of the top emulators or any platform in existence) as close to the real thing as possible, keeps supporting us, added MANY features on our suggestions, etc. And he is FAR from aggressive. He is blunt, and so am I.

- I use my Amiga because I am used to it. I learned to do many things with it and I feel comfortable with it to do certain tasks. That does not mean it is superior, it means it is more comfortable for me to work with it.

I hope that's cleared up.
Old 03 June 2010, 20:20   #20
Leandro Jardim

Ok ok...