English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2010, 10:37   #1
rossb

A1200 Loose Joy/Mouse Port1 Pin

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any advice re this. I have recently started using my A1200 again as I rebuilt it with a CF Card and Blizzard 030. And have been playing some of the split screen games (lotus etc) with the missus. As such I have to remove the mouse from Port1 quite often and plug in the joystick. Last night I noticed that the mouse buttons were not working and when I removed the mouse I could see that the bottom left port pin (when looking at Port 1 from the rear) had slid out and was stuck in the mouse connector!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to reseat and secure this pin easily, or is it new motherboard time? I am not a soldering guru by any means and don't relish the idea of having to remove and resolder a new DB9 joy connector...HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 10:51   #2
Jope
-

You'd have to resolder the pin I'm afraid.
Old 19 April 2010, 11:25   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You'd have to resolder the pin I'm afraid.
It's a sealed unit Jope, wouldn't it be a replace connector, if the pin has indeed broken off?
Old 19 April 2010, 12:49   #4
Jope
-

Yeah, by pin I actually meant connector, isn't it obvious. ;-)
Old 19 April 2010, 12:54   #5
rossb

Oops, might be a new motherboard then, never soldered anything in my life, thanks for your replies guys.

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 12:59   #6
Jope
-

If your old board is for sale, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.
Old 19 April 2010, 13:22   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb View Post
Oops, might be a new motherboard then, never soldered anything in my life, thanks for your replies guys.

Ross.
Hi Ross,

Look for a local electroinics shop, there's one near me that when I broke a Pin off a HDD they soldered it back for me. It cost about a tenner but the data on the drive was a lot more valuable to me!

Unless you have a friend with soldering skills?

Steve.
Old 19 April 2010, 13:30   #8
rossb

@Jope Thanks for the offer I will probably keep a hold of it and try and get it repaired I think.

Fitz, that may be a good idea just worried that the DB9 unit is sealed so it would be case of replacing the whole thing I suspect. If I slide it back in it works but obviously if you want to swap the mouse for a Joystick it comes out again! (Hmmm superglue)

Thanks,

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 13:33   #9
Loedown

A connector to replace is desoldering 9 pins + 2 tags, resoldering 9 pins + 2 tags, it's a damned simple job.

There's a bucket load of people in UK who could do it for you.
Old 19 April 2010, 13:54   #10
rossb

Hi Loedown,

Thanks, I may attempt it myself but am worried I'll make more of a mess to be honest. As an aside does anyone know where I could source the replacement Joyconnector?

Regards,

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 14:01   #11
Loedown

Quote:
Hi Loedown,

Thanks, I may attempt it myself but am worried I'll make more of a mess to be honest. As an aside does anyone know where I could source the replacement Joyconnector?

Regards,

Ross.
Look, if you don't know what you're doing, don't butcher the damned thing, get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it.

I don't live in England, but Farnell or RS Components
Old 19 April 2010, 14:03   #12
rossb

Thanks Loedown
Old 19 April 2010, 14:03   #13
kipper2k

It can be a simple fix. a heatgun will remove the old connector quite nicely. Dont keep the heat gun in one place, keep moving it around the area. Use tin foil (Aluminium) to protect the rest of the motherboard.Once its warm enough you can gently pry the connector up.

Any old board can be the source of a replacement, if you are not confident about removing components, practice on an old board. You'll see its not that hard.

If you can't find a replacement i should have one here i can give you for the cost of the stamps.
Old 19 April 2010, 14:15   #14
rossb

Hi Kipper2K,

Thanks for the advice, think I may have a practice on an old board firtst. I do have 2 other A500's here but dont really want to pull their joy ports out. Will see if I can source (DB9?) connector elsewhere. If not happy to pay you for your spare.

Regards,

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 14:27   #15
kipper2k

Quote:
Hi Kipper2K,

Thanks for the advice, think I may have a practice on an old board firtst. I do have 2 other A500's here but dont really want to pull their joy ports out. Will see if I can source (DB9?) connector elsewhere. If not happy to pay you for your spare.

Regards,

Ross.

Heres a link you can start your search here...

item... (both the male and female Right angled DB9 connectors)

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/res...isGoback=false

item...

http://uk.farnell.com/harting/09-66-...way/dp/1207597

and

http://uk.farnell.com/harting/09-66-...way/dp/1207596
Old 19 April 2010, 14:45   #16
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
It can be a simple fix. a heatgun will remove the old connector quite nicely. Dont keep the heat gun in one place, keep moving it around the area. Use tin foil (Aluminium) to protect the rest of the motherboard.Once its warm enough you can gently pry the connector up.

Any old board can be the source of a replacement, if you are not confident about removing components, practice on an old board. You'll see its not that hard.

If you can't find a replacement i should have one here i can give you for the cost of the stamps.
You aren't going to learn the art of hot air in 5 minutes, nor the warning signs of when you get it wrong.

Soldering / desoldering isn't that simple in all cases.
Old 19 April 2010, 14:57   #17
kipper2k

It is really surprising how much heat components can take before they are damaged. (ask anyone who has fixed a 360). a good hot air gun with temp control will work fine. just dont use so much air you blow the components away. Agreed you need to practise, espicially when using a hot air gun for the first time.
Old 19 April 2010, 15:07   #18
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
It is really surprising how much heat components can take before they are damaged. (ask anyone who has fixed a 360). a good hot air gun with temp control will work fine. just dont use so much air you blow the components away. Agreed you need to practise, espicially when using a hot air gun for the first time.
Not just blowing the components away, but bubbling the PCB and applying too much heat / heat stress on SMD caps.

Components need to survive reflow in IR oven, the reflow zone is usually set between 220 - 260 degrees C and they survive that.
Old 19 April 2010, 15:11   #19
rossb

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice and the links Kipper!!!
I don't think I will do it but I will try and find someone local who can and provide them with the new DB9 connector. At the moment its looking a bit grim re local electronics repairs so will look further afield.

Thanks,

Ross.
Old 19 April 2010, 19:27   #20
rossb

Hi,

Just a quick update. found a local firm that don't usually deal with private jobs but seemed to change their minds when I told them what it was (maybe an old Amiga enthusiast ) £5 and I supply the connector seems like a steal to me, just need to source the connector now tried your links Kipper and they look good, but they want a minimum spend of £20 and I only need 1 @ £1.50 odd so will keep looking

Thanks again for all your help and advice guys.

After this little issue I think I really need to start looking into getting my soldering skills etc up to scratch!

Regards,

Ross.