English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 February 2020, 08:22   #1
AMIGASYSTEM

IBrowse 2.5.2

Author: Oliver Roberts

IBrowse 2.5.2 is now available for download (OS4 users can also upgrade using AmiUpdate). This update is primarily to accompany, and to allow IBrowse users to benefit from, today's release of AmiSSL 4.4. Normally, existing versions of IBrowse 2.5 will automatically use new releases of AmiSSL v4, without IBrowse needed to be modified, but on this occasion a rebuild was necessary.
This is a free update for registered users of IBrowse 2.5. IBrowse 2.4 and 1.x users can upgrade to IBrowse 2.5.2 via our store at discounted rates.
We hope to have addressed most of the issues reported since the release of IBrowse 2.5.1:
  • AmiSSL 4.4 now required for HTTPS connections, which brings the latest OpenSSL 1.1.1d with improved TLSv1.3 support, improved performance on 68k (particularly 68060) and no longer crashes on 68020/030 without FPU (see full list of AmiSSL 4.4 changes)
  • OS4: AmiUpdate will update installed catalog files
  • Attempts to clean the disk cache now correctly ignored when the disk cache is completely off, fixing possible enforcer hits
  • Fixed disk cache from only ever caching small files
  • 68k: Fixed enforcer hits in PNG decoder when CyberGraphX is not in use
Thanks again have to go to Anthony Hoffman, who personally repaired Oliver's faulty A1200 motherboard, which ultimately allowed us to uncover the AmiSSL v4 68060 performance issues. It in turn brought the 68060 optimisations and allowed extensive performance testing of AmiSSL 4.4 to take place on real 68k hardware (something which is impossible using emulators).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2021 at 17:36.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:47   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

iBrowser + FFPlay

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2021 at 17:36.
Old 17 February 2020, 05:36   #3
Magic

^^^^^ Simply Awesome!
Old 17 February 2020, 09:24   #4
Mathesar

Terrific work, gonna try this evening.
Old 17 February 2020, 09:28   #5
Pyromania

How’s this new baby handle YouTube and HTML5?
Old 17 February 2020, 09:32   #6
vulture

It doesn't, but you can use scripts to parse links to ffplay and play back vids.
Old 17 February 2020, 12:45   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
How’s this new baby handle YouTube and HTML5?
No magic can be done even with iBrowser 2.4, you just need to set the Video or Audio Player to the setting:

Various Video Formats

- Preferences
- Setting
- General
- MIME Types
- VIDEO
- View: SYS:C/FFPlay

Various Audio Formats

- Preferences
- Setting
- General
- MIME Types
- AUDIO
- View: SYS:C/DAPlayer or TKPlayer, Aplifer, AmigaAmp

iBrowser will run Video and Audio files through the Players if the link is "directed" to Video Files

Example Link Audio MP3:

https://amigaremix.com/files/3266/Od...ter_ingame.mp3

Example Link Video MP4 (abbreviated with TinyURL):
https://tinyurl.com/s3uaowv

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 April 2020 at 10:41.
Old 18 February 2020, 04:38   #8
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi AmigaSystem and all!

Indeed, wonderful!

Cheers!
Old 23 February 2020, 19:11   #9
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

I just uploaded a review of the new iBrowse 2.5.2 software if anyone is interested in taking a peek at it.

Fresh new review of the iBrowse 2.5.2 web browser for our Classic Amigas is being delivered right to your doorstep! Pop on by and take a look at this new(ish) web browser for The Worlds Best Computer.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 February 2020, 07:13   #10
kriz

Nice to see it alive and a new update, and agree @Dynamic_Computi (Great video btw) 30 USD is a more reasonable price, and would sell the product much more, no doubt ..
Old 24 February 2020, 14:57   #11
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Nice to see it alive and a new update, and agree @Dynamic_Computi (Great video btw) 30 USD is a more reasonable price, and would sell the product much more, no doubt ..
Wouldn't everything sell much more if it were half price?

See http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-...-00021-EN.html for my take on pricing. IBrowse 2.4 users can buy IBrowse 2.5 for as little as 16.99 USD. I'm more keen not to short-change existing IBrowse users, most of whom will have already paid more than 60 USD on it throughout IBrowse's lifetime.
Old 24 February 2020, 16:45   #12
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post

See http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-...-00021-EN.html for my take on pricing. IBrowse 2.4 users can buy IBrowse 2.5 for as little as 16.99 USD. I'm more keen not to short-change existing IBrowse users, most of whom will have already paid more than 60 USD on it throughout IBrowse's lifetime.
Oliver, any chance you're going to release a physical 2.5.x edition any time soon? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 24 February 2020, 17:42   #13
Amiga4000

Me too! If Oliver created a big box, collector's edition, CD / Floppy media, with a cool printed manual and may some other cool goodie, I would buy it in a heartbeat to put on my shelf with all my other minty collector Amiga software!
Old 24 February 2020, 17:52   #14
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post

That sounds wonderful - but nobody has been able to buy it in over a decade, closer to a decade and a half. The Amiga Community is currently riding a rising tide of renewed interest, and a HUGE majority of these people do not have a licensed copy of iBrowse 2.4.
Talk to the current market too, in addition to the market from a product from 2007.
Old 24 February 2020, 18:09   #15
E-Penguin
Banana

I just bought it, figured it was worth it, what with amissl 4.4 integration and such
Old 24 February 2020, 19:13   #16
cugar124

love it

I bought it and well I was fighting the do I really really need it but if it gets the money in for more to come why the hell not lol. Thanks for all the hard work
Old 25 February 2020, 03:50   #17
Magic

I bought it the day 2.5 came out. I am glad they resumed development.
Old 25 February 2020, 08:05   #18
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_Computi View Post
That sounds wonderful - but nobody has been able to buy it in over a decade, closer to a decade and a half. The Amiga Community is currently riding a rising tide of renewed interest, and a HUGE majority of these people do not have a licensed copy of iBrowse 2.4.
Indeed, and someone like myself who rarely has use for a 68k browser would gladly still pay something like 10-20€ just for support.
Old 26 February 2020, 15:55   #19
darkwave

The AmiSSL crash fix was enough to cement a purchase from me. I'll happily support active development of something that will let me browse the web with my 68k Amigas, no matter how slow the experience!

I do have a minor issue on my 030 A600 though. When trying to access GUI->Navigation Toolbar in Settings, the settings menu crashes. I cannot get it back until I restart IBrowse. IBrowse continues to function, just no more Settings menu. The problem doesn't happen on my 060 A1200. Both systems running OS 3.1.4.

Anyone else had this? And is there any other way to edit the settings? Are they editable in a file anywhere?
Old 26 February 2020, 16:26   #20
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
The AmiSSL crash fix was enough to cement a purchase from me. I'll happily support active development of something that will let me browse the web with my 68k Amigas, no matter how slow the experience!
I'm still not happy with the speed of AmiSSL, but without somebody to rewrite various algorithms used in OpenSSL as 68k asm (as PPC has), there is probably not much more to come.

However, IBrowse 2.5.3 will have faster HTTPS, thanks to SSL session caching which I am in the process of adding. As the speed improvement was even noticeable on my A1XE, it is no surprise that it turbo charges HTTPS on my 68060. TLSv1.3 connections are the fastest, due to the new way sessions work in that version of the protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
I do have a minor issue on my 030 A600 though. When trying to access GUI->Navigation Toolbar in Settings, the settings menu crashes. I cannot get it back until I restart IBrowse. IBrowse continues to function, just no more Settings menu. The problem doesn't happen on my 060 A1200. Both systems running OS 3.1.4.

Anyone else had this? And is there any other way to edit the settings? Are they editable in a file anywhere?
No way to edit externally. What do you mean by crash? It runs on the same process as IBrowse, so if IBrowse is still working, I guess you mean it has stopped updating and/or responding? How about pressing the Esc key with the settings window active - that should close it.

Are you running the same MUI version on both systems? And how about the screen size?

My initial guess is that it could be because your screen is not wide enough - MUI should re-adjust, but sometimes there are problems.