English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 November 2010, 22:27   #1
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Messing up with expansions on A500.

Hi there guys, after some time out of business i've been back on messing up with my A500. So i have found some problems trying to set it up in a certain way. Let's see if someone could lighten up things here.

The thing is i have one A500 (Rev8A), that means it works like a plain A500 and not like an A500+. My miggy has one KCS PowerPC board in the trapdoor, and a IDE68K adapter with a 2gbCF installed.

Recently i've purchased one Supra Ram expansion for the side expansion port, so my plan was to give the miggy a considerable RAM boost from 512k + 512k, adding this Supra Ram 2mb device.

It happens that the Supra Ram expansion seems to be not working, well, being frank, IT DOESN'T WORK... However the device is in full working order... So i smell something fishy here.

At first glance i thought it could be some kind of uncompatibility between expansions, trapdoor + lateral... But i'm not sure if these issues could occur... So i've retrieved the KCS from the trapdoor and turn on the miggy again... Same result... Guru meditation... Reboot.

So there goes the question, is it possible that the Supra Ram could be conflictive with the IDE68K? This device drains power directly from the expansion slot where the Supra Ram plugs in.

Otherwise, could it be possible Supra Ram to have known problems with rev8A boards?

I'm a bit lost...

P.D. Are there any news about the Mini-Megi Chip for PAL miggies?
Could it be a good deal to install the NTSC version on a PAL A500?

Thanks!
Old 04 November 2010, 23:04   #2
cpiac64

remove ide68k for test supra ram and report if is ok

if your rev8a mount a 8375 you can update 2 megachip without minimegi, find schematics on aminet
Old 05 November 2010, 03:26   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
It's possible that the IDE68K uses the same addressing/autoconfig space as the Supra RAM, but that's hard to believe.

Check again and test the voltage levels on the Supra.
Old 06 November 2010, 05:54   #4
source
Zone Friend

for the supra ram double check the ram I assme it is 4 zips in side. If one of the ram chips is bad, when anything is loaded into it it would guru wirh the bad memory. Also open it up and make sure the jumpers are set correctly. If someone salvaged ram from it and did not change the jumpers to reflect only 2 megs than tht can also be your problem. Have you tried booting the computer with the sura zam 500 in test mode. Supra corp did have a memory test program that could be run wie in test mode. Hope this helps. As for conflict disconect the ide and boot with a workbench floppy see if it works or not.