English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2004, 08:36   #1
Computolio

I'm really fucked, aren't I?

So, I open up an A2000 I'm working on and I drop the motherboard. I drop it at JUST THE RIGHT ANGLE so that the corner of the table shatters the Agnus socket. That thing is hard to find and has a lot of pins, and unless a new socket drops right in my lap within the next month or so I'm probably just going to buy a new motherboard.

Just thought I'd share a horror story. I spent a LOT of effort getting that thing in working order too- I had to clean up the mess the suicide battery left behind and solder in a new CPU socket, and I was just about to replace a burned-out resistor in the video section when I saved myself the trouble by DROPPING THE FUCKING THING
Old 05 July 2004, 10:43   #2
Peanutuk

Nightmare.
Old 05 July 2004, 15:58   #3
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computolio
So, I open up an A2000 I'm working on and I drop the motherboard. I drop it at JUST THE RIGHT ANGLE so that the corner of the table shatters the Agnus socket. That thing is hard to find and has a lot of pins, and unless a new socket drops right in my lap within the next month or so I'm probably just going to buy a new motherboard.
Hmm, is it really hard to find? People say the same thing about 23pin D-connectors too, yet I've always been able to walk into a local electronics store and pick one up off the shelf.. I'd suppose the store would at least be able to order one for you?
Old 05 July 2004, 18:46   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Question is is it worth the money to get parts and repair it or just get another MB?
Old 05 July 2004, 18:51   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Probably cheaper to get another A2000 motherboard or A2000 complete than repair, especially in the U.S. where the A2k was quite popular and plentiful.
Old 05 July 2004, 19:57   #6
Dr. Dude

I can't belive what you guys are saying
You want to bring annother migy to its grave.
GET TO THE STORE AND FIX IT

preserve Amiga at all cost
Old 06 July 2004, 02:41   #7
Computolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Question is is it worth the money to get parts and repair it or just get another MB?
That socket appears to be unavailable from local stores. Mail-ordering one approaches the cost of a new motherboard, plus that's 84 pins of desoldering pain should I attempt a repair. Plus, IF I get another socket, I'll want to get a socket for the socket to ensure that I'll never go through this again.
Old 06 July 2004, 03:51   #8
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
So keep the motherboard as a spare and get another one. Shit happens, make the most of a bad situation and don't throw good money after bad.
Old 09 July 2004, 10:09   #9
Computolio

Hmmmm

Repairing this thing just got a lot more cost-effective. I might just give it a try.
Old 09 July 2004, 10:59   #10
Dr. Dude

Buy and fix
Old 09 July 2004, 12:52   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Repairing this thing just got a lot more cost-effective. I might just give it a try.
That's what I thought.. Be careful to remove all the solder before you attempt to pull the socket out.. It's too easy to pull up some tracks with it. :-(
Old 16 September 2004, 03:18   #12
Computolio

So it's been fixed for a while now. The new socket went in easier than I thought it would. Making a socket for the socket helped too.

However, the video problem is totally unresolvable. B&W composite works, RGB works, but the A520 refuses to work. I just get a blank screen. Thinking the problem was in the CLK like, I changed every resistor in it's path, checked the traces thoroughly, even replaced the chip that generates it (and several other clocks). No dice.

I've given up and ordered a new motherboard. It could be one of the sync lines, but I've totally given up on this thing and never want to deal with it again. Which is a shame, because it ALMOST works and I spent a buttload of effort/time/money on it.

Last edited by Computolio; 16 September 2004 at 03:27.
Old 16 September 2004, 03:23   #13
oldpx

Have you tried connecting it with a scart cable? Will probably won't work since a520 doesn't but I would try at least.

Old 16 September 2004, 03:29   #14
Amiga1992

I wouldnt ditch this, if the RGB connection works! Who cares about RF
Old 16 September 2004, 03:31   #15
Computolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
Have you tried connecting it with a scart cable? Will probably won't work since a520 doesn't but I would try at least.
I live in the US; TVs here don't do RGB. In addition, SCART cables and connectors have to be imported, which is a bitch and a half.
Old 16 September 2004, 03:39   #16
Computolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I wouldnt ditch this, if the RGB connection works! Who cares about RF
It's not the missing RF that bothers me, it's the color composite. Plus, if the A520 isn't working, then who knows what other video-related gizmos won't work?

I might just put this thing up for sale to someone with more patience than me, but if I do I'm gonna need to grab the Buster chip off it to resurrect another board with. Then again, it seems unfair to sell something so broken and incomplete.

Last edited by Computolio; 16 September 2004 at 03:46.
Old 16 September 2004, 09:05   #17
DoomMaster

Quote:
Hmmmm

There are two types of that PLCC socket- straight pins and staggard pins. Make sure that you get the right type.

Old 19 September 2004, 23:12   #18
TjLaZer

I kept your story in mind Friday night when I was working on my 2000. I had to remove the Motherboard to replace the Varta battery with a fresh new NiMh. I was extra careful handling the board!
Old 10 October 2004, 05:03   #19
Computolio

The video problem is finally fixed. Turns out that there was a tiny fuse protecting the RGB port that blew. It's not on the schematics, which is why I never noticed it (until I saw this page).

The board works perfectly now. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem they'll find this thread and save themselves hours and hours of frustration.

Last edited by Computolio; 10 October 2004 at 08:27.