English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 July 2008, 08:46   #61
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken View Post
I'm going to have to beat ALL OF YOU... with a wonderful corker on the Amstrad CPC called "Battle Beyond the Stars" > http://www.cpczone.net/game/112

It took around 3 minutes to load up, then you had to use a wierd... like... "thing" that you put onto your monitor,- then you had to squint your eyes to see through the... "thing" - and wierdly enough, I needed my dad to come help before I could play the game cos I couldnt see the bloody code.

not unlike one of them 3D "Magic Eye" things

I win :-)
Still sounds like Lenslok to me or similar.

There's a Lenslok "emulator"!
Old 08 July 2008, 09:55   #62
EmuChicken

omfgwtfwow! That's it! Lenslok!

I even got the game name wrong, it was "Moon Cresta" ... bah!
Old 18 August 2008, 11:34   #63
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I seem to remember Sabre team was pretty bad... especially when I lost my sheet (I used to be able to guess given two or three attempts though )
Old 18 August 2008, 20:03   #64
snarkhunter

A French adventure game called "Explora" (the first one in a series of too many...) came with a grid printed on a sheet of tracing paper. It was meant to be put on the box artwork, and the program would pick up a random square from that grid and ask you which was the prevailing colour in that square. Given the size of both the sheet and the squares, and also the fact it was easy to slide a bit and not be perfectly aligned, one often had to make several attempts before getting a code right, even with an original copy !

And - guess what - the game itself was plain crap !

Last edited by snarkhunter; 18 August 2008 at 20:08.
Old 18 August 2008, 21:05   #65
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Microprose Grand Prix had a "Page 4, paragraph 2, line 1, word 8" type protection. Me and my brother borrowed the game with the manual, copied the disks and then kept rebooting the computer writing down each time it asked for a different word. Eventually (took my brother all night) it had repeated itself enough times we gave the game back and then played the copy.
Old 19 August 2008, 09:29   #66
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I remember a few old Team 17 releases that had matte black code sheets with gloss black printing on them, impossible to read if you wanted to play anything late at night.

I remember a flight sim that used the: page: line: word: system in it's manual, but would often send you to the french or spanish part of the manual and ask for a word that required a special character like an accented E or something!
Old 19 August 2008, 16:30   #67
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

For me, it was Knights of the Sky.

I only say this because I found that my copy didn't allow me to save games to it, even when the copy protect tab on the disk was in the "write" position.

There was no way I was going to complete the game if I couldn't save my process. You have to go through at least 50 missions to beat the game, if not more.

Frustrated, I examined the game with some random disk structure program. In the file structure, I found a file suspiciously titled PROTECTION, or something very obvious like that.

I deleted the file, realising I had little to lose if I stuffed the game up apart from a game I couldn't finish anyway.

I load Knights up and, hey presto, I could save my progress. Hours of dogfighting action then ensued!
Old 23 August 2008, 00:38   #68
Eclipse
Turpentine

I can't remember as it was back in the days but if you had the demo's of some games on coverdisk from a magazine, you could replace the executable from the main game with the one from the demo and have zero copy protection.
Old 31 August 2008, 04:33   #69
EmuChicken

Oh! Another one, NOT copy protection- but close!

Leisure Suit Larry! .... (when I played it)
You only knew the answers for the "age verification" questions IF
1. You were American
2. You were over 30 years old
OR 3. You were incredibly lucky!

scukckkeed!!!
Old 31 August 2008, 05:00   #70
Visper

Trolls for PC, that was a shitty protection!

The main .exe loads another executable with the typical "find the word in the manual" and if answered right, another executable with the game. The clever programmers thought that renaming the two files to something without a .exe would be enough to stop the crackers
Old 25 September 2008, 23:31   #71
Titler
Zone Friend

I actually thought the Silent Service copy protection fitted the game, as you needed to learn silhouette recognition of the Japanese vessels from a distance in order to plan safe attacks or tactical retreats if you suspected it was something too dangerous...

Worms was the worst for me too; black on black, mein gott!
Old 05 August 2009, 00:19   #72
capehorn

What about those colour coded pictures, i.e. Operation Stealth, where light blue, silver and white all looked EXACTLY the same.
Old 05 August 2009, 01:16   #73
fryguy

The copy protection in James Pond 2 (ecs-version i think?) was pretty evil, but also a bit funny. It reversed the controls iirc.
Old 05 August 2009, 01:50   #74
Photon

The ultimate classic is the plastic lens thingy for ELITE that you put to the TV screen to decode the whateveritwas pattern.

Now, depending on your vision (20/20 or less perfect!) and Rorschach power (tm), you could actually play the game you paid for

I have a distinct recollection they recalled boxes with that thing in them, can anyone confirm?

Edit: Silver, LensLok(tm), that's it
Old 05 August 2009, 02:34   #75
mattbarton.exe

Not really a game, but one that bugged me was Scala MM. You had to put a special red dongle thing in your mouse port, and if you ever lost it--so much for that $200 product. I'm glad that such technologies never caught on.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:21   #76
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
The ultimate classic is the plastic lens thingy for ELITE that you put to the TV screen to decode the whateveritwas pattern.

Now, depending on your vision (20/20 or less perfect!) and Rorschach power (tm), you could actually play the game you paid for

I have a distinct recollection they recalled boxes with that thing in them, can anyone confirm?

Edit: Silver, LensLok(tm), that's it
I remember the LensLok - it was a swine to use.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:23   #77
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I'm glad that such technologies never caught on.
Dongles are still used nowadays, f.e. for very expensive audio applications and other things.
Old 05 August 2009, 18:05   #78
Gibbersan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Monty Pythons Flying Circus, and the awful cheese idenification.
Heh. I was just going to mention this one.
Old 06 August 2009, 00:27   #79
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I think the gods disk protection was a major fail. If you tried to copy the game it still appeared to work correctly however the game simply became much more difficult to complete and eventually crashed (if i remember correctly).

I think that a lot of people had uncracked copies and simply thought that the game was way too difficult and buggy. I class that as a fail for the copy protection as it did not stop people from copying it and did not encourage people to go out and buy the game.
Old 06 August 2009, 01:16   #80
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hook was the same, game still worked but 3 objects needed to complete the game were missing if the copy protection failed, but seeing as it was an adventure game, people just assumed it was a puzzle they hadn't solved.