English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 June 2009, 23:10   #1
Ed Cruse

Problem With Removable Media Drives

Selecting the option "Include removable drives" should be ignored on removable drives and removable media drives that are listed in the hard drive panel. This would be a similar idea that the option "Automount removable drives" uses.

I still mount those kind of drives on the Amiga side because the performance is much better. The only exception is my 2g SanDisk flashdrive, it just as fast either way. However, my usb memory card reader, usb zip drive, and other flashdrives are a lot faster mounted on the Amiga side.
Old 17 June 2009, 23:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"mount on the amiga side" = uaehf.device and amiga filesystem driver&mountlist?

Easier said than done because afaik you can't reliably map block devices to drive letters (and vice versa)
Old 18 June 2009, 16:49   #3
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"mount on the amiga side" = uaehf.device and amiga filesystem driver&mountlist?

Easier said than done because afaik you can't reliably map block devices to drive letters (and vice versa)

Yes. Mounting with uaehf.device with mountlist.

You're already doing this with "Auto mount removable drives". Any removable drives that are listed in the harddrive panel don't get automounted, only drives that aren't listed. I just confirmed it, I removed the zip drive entry and it automounted when I put a MSDos disk in it. With the entry left in it doesn't automount. You implemented this way back when you first supported removable drives.

"Include removable drives" just mounts the drive during boot up, all I'm asking is that you do the same thing as you did with "Auto mount removable drives". That way drives that are listed in the harddrive panel won't mount during boot up, which they do now.

In other words, if automounting is disabled by being in the harddrive list then mounting at boot time should also be.
Old 28 June 2009, 12:25   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
You're already doing this with "Auto mount removable drives".
It isn't the same thing. Actually it is totally different thing

Automount while emulation is running:

- Windows sends notification that drive X: is now available
- WinUAE scans all configured but unmounted real harddrive-style devices and checks if device name (that long "\\?\blahblah"-string) can be opened. If it opens -> it must be same device as drive X: -> do not mount as directory, only as an uaehf.device unit. If it does not open -> it is not same drive -> mount as a directory.

This does not solve the problem of not being able to match device names to drive letter(s).

ADDED: I guess this can be solved by comparing serial numbers but there are filesystem serial numbers, volume serial numbers and drive serial numbers, not yet sure how to find correct serial numbers..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 28 June 2009 at 14:36.
Old 28 June 2009, 17:07   #5
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It isn't the same thing. Actually it is totally different thing

Automount while emulation is running:

- Windows sends notification that drive X: is now available
- WinUAE scans all configured but unmounted real harddrive-style devices and checks if device name (that long "\\?\blahblah"-string) can be opened. If it opens -> it must be same device as drive X: -> do not mount as directory, only as an uaehf.device unit. If it does not open -> it is not same drive -> mount as a directory.

This does not solve the problem of not being able to match device names to drive letter(s).

ADDED: I guess this can be solved by comparing serial numbers but there are filesystem serial numbers, volume serial numbers and drive serial numbers, not yet sure how to find correct serial numbers..
I'm probably not understanding this. Is it a problem that during boot up you have to match the drive letter to the device name and you don't once the emulator is up and running?
Old 29 June 2009, 14:17   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Problem is (was) that there was no need to match drive letter to physical devices. Until you asked to modify "Add PC drives" option

Solution was found. (IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS and comparing "DiskNumber" fields. That was much easier said than done.)