English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 April 2021, 16:54   #101
BSzili
old chunk of coal

In preparation for the Aminet upload I have released the complete source code. Many thanks to Cosmos, Dante/Oxyron and Kalms, without them this port would never have been possible. It's available on GitHub:
https://github.com/BSzili/jfsw/tree/amiga
Old 25 April 2021, 19:14   #102
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
In preparation for the Aminet upload I have released the complete source code. Many thanks to Cosmos, Dante/Oxyron and Kalms, without them this port would never have been possible. It's available on GitHub:
https://github.com/BSzili/jfsw/tree/amiga
I'm interested, how long this took from you? Did something happened or changed, what made this possible? Could you care to speculate a bit what other games using build engine could be possible and how much work they would reguire? Blood and Rednec rampage?

Generally if some one found a source code of game, what elements should it have to make it possible port to 68k or PPC?
Old 25 April 2021, 20:03   #103
TjLaZer

Can you please unfilter the NTSC and PAL screenmodes above LoRes and offer it here as an unoffical binary?
Old 25 April 2021, 20:24   #104
arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I'm interested, how long this took from you? Did something happened or changed, what made this possible? Could you care to speculate a bit what other games using build engine could be possible and how much work they would reguire? Blood and Rednec rampage?

Generally if some one found a source code of game, what elements should it have to make it possible port to 68k or PPC?

Blood and Redneck Rampage should be possible with this sources
https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood
Old 25 April 2021, 20:36   #105
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post

I started around last November, but I didn't work on in the whole time. This will sound very mundane, but the thing that changed for me is having a bit more time.
Other games are possible, Exhumed/PowerSlave is going to be the next. Blood is possible but it will need a much more work. Redneck Rampage uses very high resolution textures for its time and it was designed for 640x480, it's just too much for 68k machines.

For PPC there's probably not much to reuse, depends on which PPC platform you mean (WarpOS, OS4, MOS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Can you please unfilter the NTSC and PAL screenmodes above LoRes and offer it here as an unoffical binary?
Alright, alright. I'll remove the interlace filtering before the official release.
Old 26 April 2021, 06:57   #106
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Release candidate 2 is up. I replaced the icon of Build editor with the smaller one that comes with JFSW and added the missing tooltypes. Also the interlace modes are no longer filtered out. The link remains the same.
Old 26 April 2021, 11:47   #107
rabidgerry

Quote:
Finally someone who knows his chops! I see this isn't the first time you play Shadow Warrior
I'm surprised how well it runs in the full screen size, as expected the Blizzard 1260 blows the Apollo 1260 out of the water. I didn't even know you could overclock them above 66 MHz.
Does this mean my experience is going to be shite?

I can't seem to get it running, I get these messages

Old 26 April 2021, 11:59   #108
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Not really, it playable on any 060 card even at 50 MHz, it's just that the game benefits from fast memory access speeds. I don't see SW.GRP on your screenshots, make sure to obtain the game data, more details in the readme post.
Old 26 April 2021, 12:06   #109
rabidgerry

Quote:
Not really, it playable on any 060 card even at 50 MHz, it's just that the game benefits from fast memory access speeds. I don't see SW.GRP on your screenshots, make sure to obtain the game data, more details in the readme post.
Got the SW.GRP installed

What about @80mhz with 64mb or ram?
Old 26 April 2021, 12:16   #110
BSzili
old chunk of coal

That should be more than enough. I had a pretty good framerate with an Apollo 1260@85 MHz with only 32MB RAM.
Old 26 April 2021, 12:57   #111
rabidgerry

I just installed it on my real Amiga having tried it on a WINUAE build of 3.1.4. It was ok in WINUAE.

When I installed on real Amiga with the Apollo1260 and played for about 5 mins, I was actually impressed with how well it ran. I'll make a video. Perhaps my standards are lower than most peoples but I thought it looked and played really well full screen, not slow and the controls seem to be there mind you I couldn't work out how to use a key.

This is probably going to result in more time locked away in a room playing computer games you know this right?

Thanks for this. I take encouragement now from this that I could get Duke 3D working om as well.
Old 26 April 2021, 17:57   #112
BSzili
old chunk of coal

That's great to hear, I'm looking forward to it. To use a key you just walk up to the keyhole and press Use/Open. I recommend checking the Options/Input Menu, you'll find the control mappings there and two control presets. I think the default is E or Space depending on the preset.
Old 27 April 2021, 09:49   #113
TjLaZer

Thanks! Running very well at 640x400 and very playable at 11 fps !

Old 27 April 2021, 12:59   #114
rabidgerry

Quote:
That's great to hear, I'm looking forward to it. To use a key you just walk up to the keyhole and press Use/Open. I recommend checking the Options/Input Menu, you'll find the control mappings there and two control presets. I think the default is E or Space depending on the preset.
I got the key working and also how to crouch, interesting controls. But I'm there now. Will make a video later. Cool and atmospheric game. Not sure on whether I should add the music or not.

Must check the frames I'm getting as well.
Old 27 April 2021, 14:45   #115
utri007
mä vaan

I can't get AHI work

Quote:
The game defaults to stereo Paula DMA audio, but AHI is also supported for sound card users. To use AHI, after the first start open SW.CFG in a text editor, and in the [Sound Setup] section set FXDevice = 8 and ReverseStereo = 1. The game will use the Music Unit for sound playback, make sure it's properly configured in the AHI prefs. To switch back to Paula, change both values back to 0.
I have a Delfina Lite and it is working with other games wich supports AHI. I just can't get any sound if I change FXDevice to 8 and set reverse stereo to 1.

Last edited by utri007; 27 April 2021 at 14:54.
Old 27 April 2021, 15:08   #116
BSzili
old chunk of coal

What other games? Do they use the music unit? Are there any error messages in the log?
Old 27 April 2021, 16:10   #117
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
What other games? Do they use the music unit? Are there any error messages in the log?
Lately Nova's Duke Nukem and Quake. For a Nova's Duke I needed to change default device. I need to check log, I do it latter today.
Old 27 April 2021, 16:22   #118
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Sure thing. You can try my Blake Stone ports from Aminet if they have sound, those also use the low level AHI interface with the Music unit. If you can attach the sw.log file it'll be a great help.
Old 27 April 2021, 17:29   #119
rabidgerry

am I being stupid, or did I read the save game feature doesn't work? I did try and save a game earlier but it didn't work.

Also how do I get a frame per second counter up?
Old 27 April 2021, 18:21   #120
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Not sure where you read that, saving works fine here. If there's any more info beyond "it doesn't work", I'll try to figure out what's the problem.
To print the framerate press [T] type "swloc" and Enter.