English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 October 2020, 11:46   #1
Not Here Long

Shapeshifter partly boots and only after using WHDLoad

Hello

I'm trying to run Shapeshifter from a CF card on an Amiga 1200. It works through UAE but not on the real Amiga. On boot I get a grey screen, unless I use WHDLoad first in which case, when booting from a card partition, I get a desktop screen with icons but no options along the top.

The desktop icons cannot be interacted with and when booting from a hard file I just get the desktop screen without the icons.

It might be worth mentioning that when I set the Amiga up at the end of last year, after it had been in storage for some time, it produced an acrid smell which I was lead to believe could be a sign of capacitor failure, only for the issue to persist after I had the capacitors replaced.

It now seems a voltage regulator in the power supply must have failed with age. This meant the +12v pin was putting out close to 20 volts, which seems to have melted an IC on the floppy disk drive, likely for controlling the motor. This appears to have happened to the hard drive as well, and I've been told the serial port chips may have been affected.

If anyone had any ideas as to how to get Shapeshifter running I'd be grateful to hear them. Also, any thoughts on the voltage issue would be appreciated; in particular how might I test the serial port for damage?

Cheers
Old 05 October 2020, 13:50   #2
daxb

ShapeShifter needs at least 4MB of RAM. I would not try with less then 16MB.
Old 05 October 2020, 13:54   #3
Not Here Long

Thanks! The Amiga is fitted with a CSA 12 Gauge accelerator card, which has 32mb of RAM installed.
Old 06 December 2020, 23:44   #4
Not Here Long

In case anyone ever has the same problem; the issue turned out to be the missing internal floppy disk drive. The drive was removed because, as I said above, the IC for controlling the motor was melted by a voltage increase, resulting from a failed voltage regulator in the power supply.

Only when I plugged the lights back in could I see the internal floppy disk drive light was on when Mac OS froze. Setting the internal floppy disk drive option to none, in Shapeshifter's floppys configuration window, fixed the problem.