English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 March 2002, 16:42   #21
Bloodwych

Happy

GREAT thread!!

Now here is a thread showing up our age!

I'm a proud 25 year old gamer who first got hooked when my dad made the mistake of buying a Commodore Vic-20 in Woolworths (famous UK store) sale! Can't remember how old I was? 8 perhaps?

This began my love affair with Commodore that continues today, hence my presence on this fantastic board.

It came with a tape full of games, shity non-microswitched Joystick and the cartridge "Jelly Monsters", which was later banned due to its similar look (ok exact copy, but better) to Atari's Pacman.

I played Jelly Monsters non-stop with my MUM! Yes, she was addicted too. We'd battle it out for the highest score, the competition was intense and she was no slouch.

My dad was crap at pacman, er, sorry Jelly Monsters, so he'd play blitz where all you had to was drop bombs from a bi-plane onto a city using the space bar so you could land. Sounds easy? well, it was bloody tricky! He finished it way before I did! I was the greatest at Hoppit however! (Frogger rip-off, er, I mean clone)

Next, due to my constant nagging :bounce , we bought the cartridges Omaga Race and Gorf, which I played non-stop. The addiction had begun, and there was no going back to the pre-computer game no-eye-strain innocence I'd had enjoyed earlier in my life..................

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 March 2002 at 16:50.
Old 16 March 2002, 16:52   #22
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
For me it was Harrier Attack on my friend's CPC464 .
I still own the original Tape from my CPC464 Currently loading it up .... some retro-feelings again
Old 17 March 2002, 00:38   #23
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Djay, he asked about the game that got you hooked on playing games, not the game to which you got hooked for the most time...
i'm sorry, i miss-read the question, but Frontier did consume the most amount of playing time for me...

the GAME that got me hooked on games, was a small arcade style box with small metal joystick and one fire button, it was a very basic space invaders game machine, being fairly young at the time i did realise that batteries run out, i believed that i had somehow broken it!!!!

the first multi game system that i played and got hooked on was crystal castles on the Atari 2600,

Thanks Akira, for pointing my stupidity!!!!!!
Old 17 March 2002, 00:41   #24
Djay
95th User

Quote:
would you scan it and put the article in the zone please?
i have it, i will scan and up to the zone, give me a couple of days thou, and if poss, can you remind me by sending a private message, cheers!!!
Old 17 March 2002, 00:55   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

While Pong was the first game that sunk its claws in me (as far as general gaming), I think it was Space Invaders that really made the switch from amusement to addiction.
Old 17 March 2002, 00:59   #26
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay

i have it, i will scan and up to the zone, give me a couple of days thou, and if poss, can you remind me by sending a private message, cheers!!!
Thanks Djay

I will remind you. I wont forget
Old 17 March 2002, 01:21   #27
Djay
95th User

@ Dastardly

gone one better m8, heres the url for the official site

http://www.eve-online.com/

hope that helps!!!
Old 17 March 2002, 01:25   #28
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Thanks Djay

Much appreciated
Old 17 March 2002, 03:13   #29
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai

C64 & C64?

Anyway, it was released for the Amiga too.
Actually, I wanted to say MSX ... it was late here and I was already falling asleep

Anyway, here goes a pic of Pitfall, so Muskat can see if that's the game he's talking about (And probably is)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pitfall.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2050  
Old 17 March 2002, 13:12   #30
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay

i'm sorry, i miss-read the question, but Frontier did consume the most amount of playing time for me...

I also misunderstood the question
The first game that hooked me was a big handheld (shaped like a arcade machine) from Nintendo: Popeye

Old 17 March 2002, 14:18   #31
Shadowfire

Gauntlet, in the arcade.
Old 24 September 2002, 08:53   #32
ECA
Obnoxious twit

Ok, OK...
So I was 17 when I got my C64..
Game that Hooked me... TANK...wireframe graphics and ALL..
One that Kept me busy the longest...
Elite2.Frontier.... 5 years of playing, keeping a backup when the original DIED, and starting over..
Funny thing.... I hook 5-10 others on the game ALSO..

Im getting PISSEd waiting for Elite4, as I have read it may not be out till 2004, maybe.

a game opening on the NET, (EVE) says they are working to make there game Very LIKE, ELITE. They will release in Dec.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:13   #33
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Seas of blood. It was 1986 and I was 11 years old. Played it on my Spectrum, first adventure game I ever finished. I studied really hard to improve my English because of this game.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:24   #34
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Dunno. Rolling Thunder? (maybe).
Old 24 September 2002, 11:43   #35
LaundroMat

Can't remember

I can't remember anymore; but it must have been one of these:

- Pitfall & Bruce Lee on the Atari
- Jet Set Willy and Chucky Egg on the ZX
- Green Beret, Kung-Fu Master and Shinobi in the arcades.

After re-reading these titles, I'd say Kung Fu Master drew me in.

Edit: Naah. Must've been earlier. Pitfall.
Old 24 September 2002, 13:17   #36
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Hmm, I supose you can call my gaming interest growing in stages. My earliest gaming memories of my local arcade haunt, were of games like Pheonix,Moon Cresta,Moon Patrol & Pac Man.
And I remember being jealous of a friend who had a Vic 20 with a game called trashman I think-at least 'til the C64 came out a few months later!!

However,my gaming interest really picked up with Ghost's n Goblins came out in the arcades,& then onto the C64. We eventually got C64's into our primary school & I became addicted to Ghost's n' Goblins,& a great C64 game called Ghettoblaster.
Old 24 September 2002, 13:39   #37
LaundroMat

Moon Patrol! An even earlier memory! Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, that and some F1 top-down viewed game. i vividly recall the enormously impressive (for it's time, and for a young kid like me then) tunnel sequences. Where the only thing you'd see where cars whizzing by, popping up in the cone of your headlights and oil slicks on the roads.

Sheesh. My head aches simply because of the effort of reaching so far back in time... Does anyone know what F1 game I mean? (The cabinet mostly had a steering wheel attached too).

Heh. I even write like a kid now.
Old 24 September 2002, 15:24   #38
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Eek

Quote:
Originally posted by LaundroMat
Yes, that and some F1 top-down viewed game. i vividly recall the enormously impressive (for it's time, and for a young kid like me then) tunnel sequences. Where the only thing you'd see where cars whizzing by, popping up in the cone of your headlights and oil slicks on the roads.

Sheesh. My head aches simply because of the effort of reaching so far back in time... Does anyone know what F1 game I mean? (The cabinet mostly had a steering wheel attached too).

Heh. I even write like a kid now.
Ohmigod,at last someone else who remembers that. Yes,I do know of that game as that was at my local arcade hangout too!
For the life of me,I've tried searching sites like Mame DK in the past without any success.
Like you said there was the cabinet,& the steering wheel, High/low gear & a pedal etc. For occasions like a single lane bridge you had to slow down, & you'd also had to avoid a fireengine which you heard coming up behind you too.

I "thought" the game had a name like Monaco Grand Prix, or Super Monaco Grand Prix, but my searches have proved useless.
Thanks for reminding me of that game-whatever the damm name is!!
Old 24 September 2002, 16:04   #39
Drake1009

Actually I don't know what game it was that got me hooked. I tried it at some family while in Germany visiting them and I have no idea what it was. Only thing I know is that it was a sort of platformer, it apparently took place inside a factory of sorts and had those stomper things like in monty on the run, just not as fast. And it was darn fun the times I got to play it before they switched over to playing Pole Position (or similar game, I believe it was Pole Position). After that I took more of an interest in our C128 and got more hooked on gaming by playing Gogo the ghost, Dinky doo and Park patrol
Old 24 September 2002, 16:39   #40
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Space Invaders.