English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 April 2021, 22:08   #1
Patrickx1989

Please check my WinUAE PPC config?

I am currently trying to set up at least a basic PPC config to run in WinUAE based on AMIGASYS 4 OS 3.1 pre-install. I'm quite a beginner, so please could someone familiar with PPC emulation check my attached config and look over it? When I try to launch it, I only get a black flickering screen, so obviously I missed something or this is more difficult than I thought
Attached Files
File Type: uae PPC.uae (29.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 21 April 2021, 22:48   #2
thomas

Your config is silly, all those different kinds of RAM which never were together in any real Amiga model.

You should start with the A4000 CSPPC quick start, then add harddrives and an RTG card, not the other way round.

Just like in real world, first buy the Amiga, then add expansions, not the other way round.
Old 22 April 2021, 09:59   #3
White

@Patrickx1989
Here you can find how to configure the 4.1 classic update6 or 4.1 classic final the configuration does not change and is valid for both systems.
and how to create a .hdf and all the rest of the setup
this is based on ppc + voodoo3
but you can replace the video card with picassoIV (highly recommended voodoo3 you can try it later at the moment not recommended to start using 4.1)
don't forget to put the ram memory z3 on "real" and not on "automatic"
here the guide:
[ Show youtube player ]

For the results it depends on the speed of your processor here is a small example of what you can do with it:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 April 2021, 10:33   #4
Patrickx1989

@White: Thank you, but I actually don't have OS 4.1 at the moment. Is it also possible under OS 3.1?
Old 22 April 2021, 10:55   #5
White

@Patrickx1989
For systems based on 3.1 you will find numerous tips and guides and you can ask for suggestions on this same site, for example here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104983
Old 22 April 2021, 11:46   #6
Patrickx1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@Patrickx1989
For systems based on 3.1 you will find numerous tips and guides and you can ask for suggestions on this same site, for example here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104983

I know, but as a newcomer to this, I find it all very complicated. Basically, I am looking for a step-to-step guide, just like the one on Youtube, but for OS 3.1
Old 22 April 2021, 12:06   #7
White

@Patrickx1989

Yes, I imagined, it would take a guide dedicated to 3.1 + voodoo3
as you suggested.
I don't have much interest in 3.1 + voodoo3 at the moment
So a step-by-step guide explaining all the installation processes by whoever is using this system would be useful.
Probably with the final version of winuae dedicated to voodoo3 you will find these guides.

You should start from 3.1 installation there are many extremely easy guides that you can also find on youtube.
Make a backup and then proceed with the configuration of the voodoo3 step by step.

This is the only way, there are no installations that do everything with a simple click. :-)
Old 22 April 2021, 12:30   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] For the results it depends on the speed of your processor here is a small example of what you can do with it: [ Show youtube player ]
BitD, this is exactly what I was wishing Amithlon could become...
Old 22 April 2021, 13:09   #9
White

@malko
Actually you're right it's practically a sort of amithlon without a dedicated graphics card with a more advanced 3.xx workbench.
Yes, in practice the result is that.
But I like it a lot,
When I no longer used workbench 3.xx many years ago what I wanted was this.
On the other hand I had the accelerator card but I didn't have the graphic card like the PicassoIV.
For me it is very nice to use it in this way and an evolution compared to the system I had left years ago.

In summary, the spirit in which I use it is precisely this, it is not mandatory to have a graphics card in order to use it. :-)
Old 22 April 2021, 13:42   #10
Tomtom76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
@White: Thank you, but I actually don't have OS 4.1 at the moment. Is it also possible under OS 3.1?
Try this :
[ Show youtube player ]

This tutorials by MikeyGRetro teach me much about WinUAE. There`s number of parts. It`s very good explained and all this is about Workbench 3.1

Good luck
Old 22 April 2021, 13:47   #11
Tomtom76

Quote:
@Patrickx1989

Yes, I imagined, it would take a guide dedicated to 3.1 + voodoo3
as you suggested.
I don't have much interest in 3.1 + voodoo3 at the moment
So a step-by-step guide explaining all the installation processes by whoever is using this system would be useful.
Probably with the final version of winuae dedicated to voodoo3 you will find these guides.

You should start from 3.1 installation there are many extremely easy guides that you can also find on youtube.
Make a backup and then proceed with the configuration of the voodoo3 step by step.

This is the only way, there are no installations that do everything with a simple click. :-)
How did you manage ScummVM working in 4.1FE with Voodoo3? All i got is black screens. I try fallow your YT channell but I`m probably waayyyy behind you lol. I would appreciate all advices please
Old 22 April 2021, 14:05   #12
White

@Tomtom76
To use scummVM you have to use PatchCompositeTag and everything will work
http://os4depot.net/share/graphics/m...positetags.lha

here "blade runner" with PatchCompositeTag
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by White; 22 April 2021 at 14:10.
Old 22 April 2021, 14:54   #13
Tomtom76

@White
Thank you very much. Works like a charm. So i need run the patch every time a game/demo need it or it is possible to run it at startup-sequence?
Old 22 April 2021, 15:03   #14
White

@Tomtom76
You don't have to use it automatically
it is only used for applications that require it at the time of their use
as also said by thellier the program is not able to release the "used resource" after its use.
I hope to be proven wrong because this step would be of great interest to me.
And I would be able to configure other programs better.

If you are running voodoo3 with 4.1 Patchwarp3D would also be very handy.
http://os4depot.net/share/utility/misc/patchwarp3d.lha

with opengl games like quake 1
Old 22 April 2021, 15:18   #15
Tomtom76

@White
Thank you very much. I`ll try that as well. Just some PPC games goes quite slowly on my Ryzen 5 3400G. Flawless on yours PC config. I understand all limitations of PPC emulations but maybe you know some tricks lol. Watching your YT videos "Impossible is nothing" for you. Also have "cut screen" on left hand side playing Pinball Illusions on RunInUAE. I know its strange for some people to do it but if it`s possible...? Why not?
Old 22 April 2021, 15:58   #16
White

@Tomtom76
If I have to be honest the difference between the Ryzen 5800X and the I7 4770k as regards the 4.1 emulation is not much I expected much more.

you should have no problem using E-UAE with Pinball Illusions

this is an old video from 2018 here i had an I5 2400 and you can see how E-UAE works
[ Show youtube player ]

other minigl games i don't know how they would work when i had the i7 4770k voodoo3 emulation wasn't there yet.

But for E-UAE the only game that caused problems and "The Killing Ground" the rest worked perfectly.

Unfortunately E-UAE needs to be configured differently compared to real dedicated 4.1 hardware.

I don't know the reasons it took me some time to set it up probably winuae just makes it work that way.

Because with a standard configuration it is at least half as slow.

And even E-UAE with voodoo is slower than the counterpart in uaegfx this made me decide to go back to uaegfx for the time being.

Quake or other PC ports are not essential
while I find it fun to use it on the internet listening to music and doing other things like I did with workbench 3.1

E-UAE is available as a separate package that I saved separately with the configurations and paths to be copied to sysrefs/envarc
it does not need any installation just simply copy it.

E-UAE works in full screen at the same speed but if I put full screen the video capture program will split the video I record into several parts then I prefer not to use it in full screen when recording videos :-)
Old 22 April 2021, 16:36   #17
Tomtom76

Quote:
@Tomtom76
If I have to be honest the difference between the Ryzen 5800X and the I7 4770k as regards the 4.1 emulation is not much I expected much more.

you should have no problem using E-UAE with Pinball Illusions
Yes all my fav games run smoothly in RunInUAE just this stuff is not perfect. (P)layer1 lol
Anyway I can live with that :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210422_151045.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	71671  
Old 22 April 2021, 16:52   #18
White

@Tomtom76
if you want to post your E-UAE configuration file maybe you can improve it you are always using it in emulation not on a real machine.
Old 22 April 2021, 17:08   #19
Tomtom76

Quote:
@Tomtom76
if you want to post your E-UAE configuration file maybe you can improve it you are always using it in emulation not on a real machine.
I`m uploading couple of config files. 7ziped cos I couldn`t do in other way. Jit or other CPUs are not helping. It`s normal or graphical settings. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: 7z UAE.7z (1.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 22 April 2021, 17:16   #20
White

@Tomtom76
I did a test with e-uae what use should I see it like this?

if you have time will I send you a PM?

here video:
[ Show youtube player ]